Take Wife Back To U.s.

I know this has probably been asked a zillion times but I was hoping to get some quick information. If I have already married my Thai wife and will register with the U.S. embassy in Bangkok do I still have to get her a visa to the U.S.? Or, can I take her back since we are "legally" married? Does she still have to apply for a fiance visa here if we are already registered and what paperwork do we have to do here or back in the U.S. Any help would be appreciated. :o

There is no registration at the US Embassy. You do the process at the District Office and that is it. You are married.

To go to the US your wife will require an immigrant visa and that will be a few months process at best. Being married to you gives her not right to enter the USA. You will have to prove ability to support her and she will have to provide detailed family and medical information. Getting married was the easy part.

That said it is not all that hard but there will be many forms to fill out and a long waiting period.

There is no registration at the US Embassy. You do the process at the District Office and that is it. You are married.

To go to the US your wife will require an immigrant visa and that will be a few months process at best. Being married to you gives her not right to enter the USA. You will have to prove ability to support her and she will have to provide detailed family and medical information. Getting married was the easy part.

That said it is not all that hard but there will be many forms to fill out and a long waiting period.

No he said he already registered his marriage so I told him he had to go to the embassy to get a k-1 visa but I hear they take longer to get than the fiance visa. :o

oh wait I am sorry. If your marriage is not registered do not do so. It is quicker to apply for a fiance visa than a k-l visa. And it is also quicker to do everything there about three months if you go home and file it will take you about a year. I know some people who have done it.

I have been told that if you have a child with your wife, the child is an immediate US citizen and will thus be issued a US passport. Then the mother (your wife) gets an almost automatic/immediate US Visa as the mother of the child. Not sure if it is Non Imm, Imm or Tourist, but you will have a nearly non existent wait period.

Anyone can confirm my understanding here ??

The original poster is the one who mentioned registering at the US Embassy and my reply was to his post. The procedures for spouse and fiancee visas are now supposed to take about the same amount of time (they have speeded up the spouse process) but most reports I have seen still have the spouse a little longer.

gbt71fa,

If you want to take your wife to the US, as a spouse, then see How Do I Become a K-Nonimmigrant as the Spouse or Child of a U.S. Citizen? (K-3 and K-4 Visa Classifications).

See also Kvisa.

If you are not resident anywhere outside the US then it may be difficult for her to obtain a visitor visa to the US. See Help For U.s. Visitors Visa, Thai National Wife.

The original poster is the one who mentioned registering at the US Embassy and my reply was to his post. The procedures for spouse and fiancee visas are now supposed to take about the same amount of time (they have speeded up the spouse process) but most reports I have seen still have the spouse a little longer.

:o

Also I heard that the differnce in time is if you apply in thailand or back home

Edited by bbigman21

I know this has probably been asked a zillion times but I was hoping to get some quick information. If I have already married my Thai wife and will register with the U.S. embassy in Bangkok do I still have to get her a visa to the U.S.? Or, can I take her back since we are "legally" married? Does she still have to apply for a fiance visa here if we are already registered and what paperwork do we have to do here or back in the U.S. Any help would be appreciated. :D

As lopburi3 has pointed out there is no registration process for your marriage at the US embassy. If you have been legally married in Thailand than you are considered legally married in the US, there is no place to register and no US or State government body that has to be notified. You can take your Thai marriage certificate with translation and have them notarized at the embassy - this can be helpful to have, but is in no way shape or form any kind of registration of your marriage with any US government body. And the embassy keeps nothing "on record" in regard to your marriage.

I have been told that if you have a child with your wife, the child is an immediate US citizen and will thus be issued a US passport. Then the mother (your wife) gets an almost automatic/immediate US Visa as the mother of the child. Not sure if it is Non Imm, Imm or Tourist, but you will have a nearly non existent wait period.

Anyone can confirm my understanding here ??

paulfr:

Having a child does not guarantee the wife will get a visa. There are no guarantee's when discussing US visa's. Most of the decision lies with the consular that conducts the interview. However, having children and the length of time you have been married can help to prove to the embassy officer that you have a real marriage and sound relationship - which helps them in giving approval for the visa.

And child or no child you go into the same queue with the rest of the applicants. The only way to move to the front of the line would be for some kind of emergency situation where it is of critical importance to get the visa issued and allow for travel quickly. These types of situations are few and far between.

:o

Also I heard that the differnce in time is if you apply in thailand or back home

bbigman21:

As lopburi3 pointed out the different processing time between wife and fiancé visas is narrowing. The difference in time is in relationship to this issue has/had more to due with how they were processed rather than where they were processed.

However, processing time does differ also based upon location - as each location has different staff levels and a different number of applicants. But where you apply depends more upon the individual case. For example I used to line in Japan, and when my paperwork was submitted to the office in DC they declined to accept them, and told me I had to submit the paperwork thru the US embassy in Tokyo. Now I live in Thailand so stuff gets submitted here in Thailand.

Edited by TokyoT

gbt71fa,

If you want to take your wife to the US, as a spouse, then see How Do I Become a K-Nonimmigrant as the Spouse or Child of a U.S. Citizen? (K-3 and K-4 Visa Classifications).

See also Kvisa.

If you are not resident anywhere outside the US then it may be difficult for her to obtain a visitor visa to the US. See Help For U.s. Visitors Visa, Thai National Wife.

:o thankyou for info and websites.