Mosquito bites blamed for death of UK man teaching orphans in Laos

webfact

Mosquito bites blamed for death of volunteer teaching orphans how to speak English
by MICHAEL MORRISON

AN EAST Lancashire man who was working in Laos has died after contracting a tropical disease believed to have been caused by mosquito bites.

HGV driver David Murray, also known as 'Muzz' to his friends, was three months into a year-long stay at a project aimed at teaching young orphans English when bites on his legs became infected.

The 39-year-old was taken to hospital by volunteers at the Sae Lao Project, in the village of Nathong, in Laos, a country bordering Thailand, but died after going into shock, his family said.

Mr Murray's body is due to be repatriated through Manchester Airport on Wednesday, with a coroner's investigation likely to be launched this week.

His devastated parents broke down at their home in Woodside Avenue, Rishton, as they paid tribute to the former Billington St Augustine's RC High School pupil.

Full story: http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/13331158.Mosquito_bites_blamed_for_death_of_volunteer_teaching_orphans_how_to_speak_English/

-- LANCASHIRE Telegraph 2015-06-16

This should remind us that each day is precious...is not guaranteed and should not be squandered...

We all have an expiration date...what you do between now and then defines your legacy...

"when bites on his legs became infected."

He died from infection, not a tropical disease???

bites can cause both and at the same time

Where did you get your medical degree, 555?

Bites don't "cause" infection. Scratching bites with dirty fingers and unwashed skin causes infection.

Bites don't "cause" infection. Scratching bites with dirty fingers and unwashed skin causes infection.

OMG the trolls are out on something as sad as this. Yes we know most of this , but it is surely the time you take to get the proper treatment for an infection which would be the important factor, I would have thought.

RIP Muzz, a sad way to go.

OMG the trolls are out on something as sad as this. Yes we know most of this , but it is surely the time you take to get the proper treatment for an infection which would be the important factor, I would have thought.

RIP Muzz, a sad way to go.

Wrong. The most important factor to not getting infection from acne, mosquito bites, midges (no-see-ums), biting flies, etc is TO NOT SCRATCH THEM WITH YOUR FINGERS.

Personal responsibility is apparently in extremely short supply among Farang in SEA.

Edited by SiSePuede419

Whatever the cause of his premature demise is really unimportant (to most people outside of his family) It's a tragic loss to his family, friends and the people he was helping.

Unlike the rest of us farang's who skip through life and contribute the bare minimum, this man was making an effort to give something back and help others, very worthy and commendable.

Again a sad and tragic loss with condolences and commiserations to his family, friends and co-workers in Laos...

In Thailand I got a small insect bite on the back of my calf and it immediately became infected with Staph. I didn't know how bad it looked until a massage lady told me to go to the doctor. I still have a pretty large scar from it. We foreigners need to be careful in the tropics.