1300 GBP Good price to Madrid April 2016? (2 adults 2 children)

mattk1

Hi guys,

I have never flown from Bangkok to Madrid before so I'm not so sure if the price of 1300 GBP one way is a good price or not?

I was wondering if there are any seasoned travelers of this route on here who might be able give their opinion :-)

That price I have found is with Etihad and has one stop at Abu Dhabi for 2 hours. 1300 GBP is the total cost for me, my wife, our 3 year old and our 2 year old to travel in early April 2016.

Trying to get something booked soon since I have limited time before my credit card will expire (hassle to get new card afterwards)..

Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated :-)

Hi Yermanee,

Thanks for the reply :-)

Actually the credit card is my dads (hence the hassle getting another one) and we have used it in the past to book flights to the UK. Etihad have never asked to see the card but I do always have a colour photocopy of the front and back of it in my bag just in case :-)

I have heard about some airlines wanting to see the actual card on check in but that only happened to me once with Thai airways and I had used my own card to pay anyway :-)

Good to be alert though just in case so thanks again :-)

Edited by mattk1

Three bad factors come together:

- one way

- direction from Bangkok to Europe

- very long advance booking

The two year old is counted as over two years (at the time of flight) and having his own seat I guess.

If you then divide the price by four its 325 GPB ~ 16900 Baht. Thats not a bad price.

But not sure how the minors are charged.

There are ways to book trips from Thailand without credit card (old style travel agents).

Looking forward to see better proposals/prices.

I agree: travelling on a then expired credit card in another persons name is walking on thin ice.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Hi Khunbenq,

Thanks for the reply, I think you're right and it will be 4 occupied seats on the flight, hopefully together! :)

I also found that this particular flight is around 35 GBP cheaper directly searching for it through Etihad's website, that's useful to know.

Hi yermanee,

That's interesting with the paypal payment, I already have one of those so should be fairly straight forward to add my dads credit card as a funding option.

Regarding the showing of the credit on check-in, I found this on the Etihad website:

"If Etihad Airways advises you to present the card used for booking, it must be presented while checking into your flight at the commencement of travel. If you, as the credit card holder, are not travelling, a copy of the credit card with an authorisation signed by yourself, should be presented at check-in.

Alternatively, the card or a copy of the card with your signed authorisation can be presented to the nearest Etihad Airways ticketing office at least 24 hours before the flight. This verification is required to ensure a smooth check-in process at the airport and to avoid being refused carriage. Failure to comply will result in the requirement to pay the full ticket cost at the airport or refusal of carriage."

Cheers guys :)

Booking a flight with someone elses card today to travel next April is not what fraudsters normally do. There is a full 10 months for the genuine card holder to notice an unusual airfare purchase and get it investigated/refunded. The airline will cancel the ticket when the card company are on the phone getting their money back.The scammer will normally travel quickly after booking so he has can get where he wants before the fraud is uncovered. Best to follow the procedures asked by the airline but they will be more relaxed with such an advanced purchase.

Don't forget that most probably you will have to show the credit card you used to book these flights at check-in.

If it's expired by then you might face big problems (refusal to board etc. etc.)

Yermanee wai.gif

It doesn't matter if the card has expired by then. It just has to be the card that was utilised.

Hi Yermanee,

Actually the credit card is my dads (hence the hassle getting another one) and we have used it in the past to book flights to the UK. Etihad have never asked to see the card but I do always have a colour photocopy of the front and back of it in my bag just in case :-)

I have heard about some airlines wanting to see the actual card on check in but that only happened to me once with Thai airways and I had used my own card to pay anyway :-)

FYI, Emirates refused me to board a flight from Bangkok to UK without the credit card that was used to book the flight. Was forced to cancel trip and re-book next day by paying cash

Hi Yermanee,

FYI, Emirates refused me to board a flight from Bangkok to UK without the credit card that was used to book the flight. Was forced to cancel trip and re-book next day by paying cash

Red flags must have been all over your booking. How long before hand did you book the ticket? Was it a one way? Was paid for by somebody else with a foreign credit card? Say you are in the UK but the other person who paid had a Spanish credit card? Bells must have been ringing for them to cancel your booking and ask for cash.

Hi Yermanee,

Red flags must have been all over your booking. How long before hand did you book the ticket? Was it a one way? Was paid for by somebody else with a foreign credit card? Say you are in the UK but the other person who paid had a Spanish credit card? Bells must have been ringing for them to cancel your booking and ask for cash.

I fly with emirates 6 times per year normally Uk to BKK for party time :-). The Emirates manager said its company policy to check passengers physical credit cards against there bookings for any flights from Thailand because of a high level of fraud in the past

Note normally I fly Uk to Bangkok but never get asked in the UK but on this occasion whilst on holiday I had to fly back to the UK for a week from BKK.