Perception of financial wealth...and happines.

Happy is the person who has enough money to cover his living expenses and save some for special occasions or unexpected bills...

Filled with angst is the person who shuffles creditors from payday to payday...never having enough to pay all the bills at any one time...

Many of the wealthy are also filled with angst as they are troubled with how to hold onto their wealth in a world filled with declining economies and government waste...

The most unhappy are the vain who live well beyond their means to impress their peers and neighbors...an imaginary world which could come crashing down at any time...destroying the image they have fought and borrowed to achieve...

The most happy people obtain happiness in the simplicity and beauty of nature and quality relationships with other people...not buying into the false promise that material possessions bring eternal happiness...wai2.gif

Edited by ggt

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't cover an unexpected 35k baht expense in Thailand then, unless you are a Thai in your own country, I would be more concerned about your own spending habits than other peoples.

That sounds a bit judgmental.. most people could have a cash emergence at some point... While building my house we got short of ready cash for a time.. and the family helped out.. money paid back now.. everybody is happy.. it wouldn't have been so easy in a western country, I think..

If you can't cover an unexpected 35k baht expense in Thailand then, unless you are a Thai in your own country, I would be more concerned about your own spending habits than other peoples.

That sounds a bit judgmental.. most people could have a cash emergence at some point... While building my house we got short of ready cash for a time.. and the family helped out.. money paid back now.. everybody is happy.. it wouldn't have been so easy in a western country, I think..

ok fair enough...but lets ask this question, how many months expenses does a typical farang hold as a slush fund in case of "emergencies" inThailand customary financial advice suggests one hold at least 3 months expenses in an account for a "rainy day"

so would be interested do the typical resident farangs follow this or a similar contingency, or lets put it this way, suppose your money flow stopped tomorrow, how many months could you survive before your completely broke ?

My guess is, there will be very few who have 3 months as a slush fund, and many are living hand to mouth/ one pay day to the next

They're called Hiso's. The have a luxury car, wear the latest fashion, and have the latest gadgets. But I've seen where and how they live privately. A rundown house, a small room for under 8k a month, and piles of debts.

I don't even own a car, in fact, I haven't been behind a wheel for over a decade. I wear comfortable shabby clothes that are several years old, I don't even have a smartphone. I have an average, for a farang, income but spend it on more important stuff like my well serviced and very conveniently located apartment, smokes and booze, and top medical treatment. I have no debts and at 80k my computer is the most expensive thing I own.

Am I happy? Yes I am.

They are NOT Hi-so's but as some said hi-so wanabe's. My wife's family have new cars , property work for Gov or have business are University grads but are not hi-so just upper middle class. Those you talk about living in cars or dumps are just wannabe's. Real Hi-so drive Ferrari, Porsche, Jags ect and live in homes like you see on Thai soap operas . Since your not in a high finance situation you would not be hanging in the clubs gatherings and places where they hang out but take our word for it real Hi-so don't need to pretend .

They're called Hiso's. The have a luxury car, wear the latest fashion, and have the latest gadgets. But I've seen where and how they live privately. A rundown house, a small room for under 8k a month, and piles of debts.

I don't even own a car, in fact, I haven't been behind a wheel for over a decade. I wear comfortable shabby clothes that are several years old, I don't even have a smartphone. I have an average, for a farang, income but spend it on more important stuff like my well serviced and very conveniently located apartment, smokes and booze, and top medical treatment. I have no debts and at 80k my computer is the most expensive thing I own.

Am I happy? Yes I am.

You're gonna need the money you have saved through such a frugal lifestyle to afford the health consequences of a lifetime of smoking and to a lesser extent the booze?

Bad habits die hard.

Theoretically, I've got enough put

aside to cover me for 6 months

on a "tight-wad" budget (rent, food,

bills and a knees up twice a week)

but, in practice, if my income were

to stop or suffer a severe cut, I'd

be on a flight out within 6 weeks.

Its called consumerism my friend, its not a problem thats special to Thailand. Its a worldwide problem.

But look at it from the other side, we're all gonna die one day. For me its best that we live life the way we want to. Whether you like saving, or spending its up to you.

ok fair enough...but lets ask this question, how many months expenses does a typical farang hold as a slush fund in case of "emergencies" inThailand customary financial advice suggests one hold at least 3 months expenses in an account for a "rainy day"

so would be interested do the typical resident farangs follow this or a similar contingency, or lets put it this way, suppose your money flow stopped tomorrow, how many months could you survive before your completely broke ?

My guess is, there will be very few who have 3 months as a slush fund, and many are living hand to mouth/ one pay day to the next

My experience is that at least 90% of people live from paycheck to paycheck no matter where they live. In my home country I don't know too many people that have 'cash at hand' anymore. They have a credit card (costing them too much) and maybe super fund that they can't touch until retirement or death but cash in the bank is not too common.

Theoretically, I've got enough put

aside to cover me for 6 months

on a "tight-wad" budget (rent, food,

bills and a knees up twice a week)

but, in practice, if my income were

to stop or suffer a severe cut, I'd

be on a flight out within 6 weeks.

Steady up on the honesty YS. You're posting in the TV general forum.

Surely you have a few hundred thousand lying around..... or you could sell one of your properties? whistling.gif

You are right. I am living in Thailand because I over spended in my country.....but at least....here.. I can be poor and happy.

how happy is your wife?sad.png

Yah, As younger man I lived beyond my means. In the crash in the mid 80s I lost it all. job, house, car, everything. Took years to recover. Now cash paid for everything. CC with 0 balance, enough cash for six months expenses. Two older cars, three TVS, computers, smart phone, lovely wife; all cash. NO debt. NO STRESS.

Irrelevant and a strange thought process. How does one unite 'unexpected expense' and 'spending habits'? You sound like a real happy generous soul - not!
My though process would be that i need enough money available should me and my family have a sudden unexpected expense - certainly enough to cover 35k baht which is hardly significant. I would tailor my spending habits accordingly so as not to spend every penny i had in case of such emergencies.

Personally i do not find this a 'strange' concept and certainly not irrelevant to the well being of me and my family in a foreign land.

Not sure why you would think me unhappy or not generous based on this, indeed having planned ahead for future financial problems gives me peace of mind and the ability to help others less fortunate.

Again...I totally agree with your thinking, but not everybody can do it, and, like myself, I have to take the risk. No choices....

Sometimes risk have to be taken with positive mind and learning with past mistakes. Retired and living with less than 30000thb/month I have in Thailand the kind of life and happines I didn't had in my country with 5 times that money....working very hard..and spending a lot of money to keep working....and feel wealthy and sucessful. I really envy the life of some very simples Thai people...,,and feels bad about the future of new "global" generations.

point taken, live happy and poor than caged and rich

My wife thinks most of her teacher colleagues are fools. As teachers, they think they have to keep up appearances and so go into unaffordable debt to get a car and all the gadgets and clothes. On Thai teacher's salary, nobody can afford to run a car, let alone buy one if the salary is the sole family income and they're renting, yet they do.

Wifey's priority one is to get a house, and priority 2 to secure her retirement financially....THEN buy a car. And I never put her up to those goals....She always tells me she must have been farang in a previous life because she knows she is odd for a Thai.

Does your wife even know the spending habits of a typical farang to say that? The American mindset is pretty much to spend, spend, spend, go into debt if you have to (keeps the economy going). Get the latest gadgets. Buy stuff you can't afford. Enjoy life now! So it's rather odd that she would say that.

Well, she's never been to America, so perhaps she was wrong to lump all farang together....but the social circles of farang that she has been in (mine), do not put themselves in unaffordable or unnecessary debt. I don't find it odd but highly admirable that she thinks it foolish to spend money that you don't have.

funny you see it so black/ white and simplistically

you can live happy, not be caged and still be rich

It has been my observation over time that some people allow their affluence to become a cage. Poor and rich are both a state of mind.

Money gives a person more freedom, thus it makes you more happy. I dont think anyone would say no to a steady flow of income around 150-200k baht.

I wouldn't say no and if you're offering, I'll accept. I won't be spending it on my chosen Thai lifestyle though. thumbsup.gif

Having more money than you need is better than just having enough money to live. You will be far happy in the former situation. Thailand is not cheap, health, children's education , good housing etc..having limited funds will catch up with eventually of that you can be assured. Never quite sure what a Thai lifestyle is..does it mean living like a poor one..all these restaurants, condos by the beach, nice cars , decent schools are these just the life style of a non Thai..

It always seems to be the have-nots who start these threads, claiming they are better people by virtue of having less. Those who have more are put down and despised for their affluence. Commenters on both sides appear to have very little insight or understanding outside their own circles and rely far too much on media stereotypes, in my opinion. A little more understanding and a little less hate might be nice.

Edited by villagefarang

It always seems to be the have-nots who start these threads, claiming they are better people by virtue of having less. Those who have more are put down and despised for their affluence. Commenters on both sides appear to have very little insight or understanding outside their own circles and rely far too much on media stereotypes, in my opinion. A little more understanding and a little less hate might be nice.

But the main stereotype on this board is that to live in the "real"Thailand you have to live in a village. You know as well as I that 25 years ago you could live an old traditional type house off Sathorn. Styles change.

The jealousy at times seems to be one way.This is another phenomena that I don't understand. One foreigner being jealous of the other..I know I am harping back but it use to be the case that just living in Thailand was a "winner" and that very few had a lot and if you did it didn't really matter.

Theres alot of people who feel inadequate, buy shit they dont need to impress people they dont like and to portray an ideal image of themselves, feel entitled ect

This goes for everywhere, not just TH

modern day slavery is pretty subtle

I think its too easy to be judgemental on the matter of other people's wealth, poverty or the way they save/spend.

One of my very favourite broadcasters is a guy called Alvin Hall, check him out if you have time, he's a broadcaster, journalist and a financial advisor. He repeatedly comes back to one issue when discussing how people use money 'The emotional and psychological aspects of our relationship with money'

This should not surprise us, money offers choice, often it offers power and the way we use money can be a way of expressing ourselves.

Look around and you'll find Thai people and expats in Thailand making really stupid decisions based on their own emotional relationship to money and as the OP points out there is often a stark contrast within a single family of these different attitudes. This is as true in Thailand as anywhere.

A Thai person buying a BMW on the never-never that they park outside of their rented shack, or an expat eager to turn his midlife crisis into a late life disaster as he cashes in his pension savings to extend his holiday in heaven.

Neither are bad people for making poor decisions - they are simply making poor decisions for which they will inevitably receive the bill.

---

Edit

---

The corollary argument that the way we use money is rooted in our own emotions/psychology, is that our own response to how other people use money is also rooted in our own emotions/psychology.

Just as one person spends money to bull themselves up, another points at the way others spend money in order to do just the same thing.

Edited by GuestHouse

funny you see it so black/ white and simplistically

you can live happy, not be caged and still be rich

ha ha, no I mean I see the point beeping made

Thai weakness!

New cars.

They would spend more on the car eg washing than any other activity (except television viewing).

CRAP, you are only as good as the Thai Lady , you are with .

Over thirty ,,,,,,,,,,,, loose face in Thailand.

Where is your moral code ?wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Edited by elliss

Besides the thais, you can also see a lot of farangs these days coming to thailand, renting cheap apartments, wearing cheap clothes, shopping at Big C and complaining about prices at Villa, Emporium, Paragon as they cannot afford those. Drinking beer at cheap establishments and once in a while treating themselves to a meal at a cheap farang joint and also spending time at Soi Cowboy etc. Most of these do not have any savings or even a future and depend on the social security checks, pensions etc.

An interesting model is the real deal, Sam Walton who founded Walmart from scratch. When he died in 1992 his daily driver was a 1985 Ford F150 pickup even though he was the richest man in the US if not the world. He wore jeans, wore cowboy boots and still had coffee with his old friends in his small town in Arkansas. He never forgot his roots.

Today his estate is broken up among the heirs but combined, the Walton Family is richer than Bill Gates and Warren Buffet combined.

His clothes, daily driver and other possessions simply weren't how he defined himself. He put more emphasis on the people around him which might have been one of the keys to his success. I've tried to take a page form his book because I believe that if a person isn't satisfied on the inside, exterior things won't do it either.

The OP, although likely a fine fellow or fellowette, believes it's Thais who are interested in wealth and showing wealth. clap2.gif

Where in the World are people happy with nothing? The poorer you are the more likely you'd be wearing a Rolexx and driving a limo after winning the lottery.

75% of the World's population have never made a phone call. The World is an ignorant place. How could it be ignorance would rise up to ultra competence once a wad of cash was in hand? OP. you need to get out more.

It's all relative. There are those living hand to mouth at all levels, there are also those who are completely debt free with healthy reserves. The jealousy is rather obvious though for these types of posts who try to paint everyone into the hand to mouth group. 'Oh they only look like they are living the life.... they are surely REALLY suffering and about to take a tumble.'

• 2 weeks later...

These topics are a bit silly. It is a bunch of men on this forum.

I know guys, the only thing that matters is

food

pussy

football

how close to god and down to the earth we are that we do not need those name brand items and to show off. we are so simple and logic based.