Chris Evans to be new Top Gear presenter

Chris Evans to be new Top Gear presenter

LONDON:-- TV and radio personality Chris Evans will replace Jeremy Clarkson as the lead presenter of an all-new Top Gear line-up, the BBC has announced.

Evans said he was "thrilled" to get the job, describing the motoring show as his "favourite programme of all time".

"I promise I will do everything I possibly can to respect what has gone on before and take the show forward," he added.

Clarkson was dropped in March after punching a producer while on location.

Car enthusiast Evans, who has signed a three-year deal with the BBC Two show, had been tipped to replace his good friend Clarkson but had previously insisted he was not interested.

An "all-new" line-up means Clarkson's co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May will not be involved.

I worked with him for years and he was a great guy, and very funny.

Very generous to his co-workers, always throwing parties at his own expense.

Not very forgiving of incompetents though. But then, who is?

Top gear has a great chance with him at presenter.

The Orangutan, the Hamster and Capt Slow are not indispensable. The last few years have been too scripted and lacked real spontaneity.

Hope his co-presenters will be less public-schooly than their predecessors, and will include a lady.

He's been a very sucessful man, but he is, & always will be, an annoying <deleted>.

No doubt he'll push the the ratings up, get a nice bonus & shaft the show into nothingness.

Is he also part of the Chipping Norton set?

The Orangutan, the Hamster and Capt Slow are not indispensable. The last few years have been too scripted and lacked real spontaneity.

Hope his co-presenters will be less public-schooly than their predecessors, and will include a lady.

Guess you've never watched BBC's Fifth Gear then?

One of my favorite things about the show was the inter-play between the three hosts. That's a hard thing to accomplish not to mention duplicate. Just look at the U.S. hosts versus Clarkson, Hammond and Mays, the Brits win hands down. I hope that the replacements the BBC comes up with are able to come close to what we've seen from the originals!

Yet again the BBC and it's lefty management proving just how out of touch they are. Evans is a self-centred egotist who craves attention like a drug. It will be a complete flop.

While I was trying to like his radio show, I made a rule I would listen until he mentioned money or someone famous. I rarely got past the first track he played. Now I hate it and am left with Alex Lester on Listen-Again. And they have just reduce him to 3 shows a week.

The BBC had it open for comments today and they got truly spanked over the decision. So they closed that one down, rewrote the article (thinking adding the fact that he will have a female co-presenter will make it so politically correct that everyone would be obliged to love it) and opened it for comments again. Then got spanked again.