Australian father, son assaulted in Chiang Mai

Thaivisa News

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a few Chiang Mai karaoke shops that prey on tourists and are well known for their scams. Sit down for a couple hours and you get presented with a bill for 30 or 40,000 baht. Then they beat the crap out of you if you don't pay up. They've been doing this for a long time and have beaten up a lot of tourists with no repercussions.

Time these bars were Shopped!

If you don't know about these bars, then they leant the hard way, got caught my self when first went to Thailand, but negotiated the bill down after calling tourist police.

Tourist police did not answer so I pretended they did and told the guys they were coming in ten minutes.

The took the money and said come back you dead.

Advice to tourists is Never Go to Karaoke bar, but how do you inform people before they venture to the land of Smiles??

Someone could write a book about scams.

Tourists beaten and stabbed, but police feel the need to have a chat with the Karaoke bar before taking any action, as opposed to making arrests and then conducting interviews....... A stark reminder that we're in a third world country hiding behind a facade of shopping malls.

I think both sides are guilty of breaking the law, the 'customers' for not paying the bill and the establishment for taking the law into their own hands. At least, that would be the way I would read it.

Ulic made a good point earlier in the thread that everyone on TV (regular viewers anyway) are aware of these karaoke bar scams, however your average tourist generally goes out to enjoy themselves with eyes full shut. Trouble usually kicks off when the the over-inflated bill arrives on the table.

Easy in hindsight to say that prices should be checked before ordering....................wink.png

Well ...no one knows the prices they were charged.

Let's say the bill was only 2000 baht when they were thinking it should be about 1000 baht....which would not really be worth it to refuse to pay the bill.

On the other hand if the bill comes and it is 10,000 baht or 20,000 baht and a blatant rip off...obviously ...then what would anyone do?

Does not matter if you are drunk or sober as a judge ...when you realize you have been outright cheated and way, way over charged, I am certain 99 percent of the people would complain and refuse to pay the bill.

Some people may pay the bill and then go get the police ...to find out the police are not going to help you as this is Thailand while maybe in the rarest of cases the police would help you settle for half the bill.

Meantime I am certain yourself and near everyone else would stand their ground and refuse to pay the bill knowing they are being cheated.

Meantime you get assaulted by the low life thugs that perpetrate the scam and then stab you with a knife.....just short of murder and about as low life as a low life thug can get.

But , as someone else mentioned these places are under the protection of the police as every bar and entertainment place is under the watchful eye of the police.....so the police are not going to be much help.....but they will put on a good show .....until the foreigners finally go away....sooner or later.

Cheers

There's a few Chiang Mai karaoke shops that prey on tourists and are well known for their scams. Sit down for a couple hours and you get presented with a bill for 30 or 40,000 baht. Then they beat the crap out of you if you don't pay up. They've been doing this for a long time and have beaten up a lot of tourists with no repercussions.

why do the "tourist" keep going there? have they no common sense? NEVER! NEVER drink around a bunch of thai"s they are basically cowards and don't believe in a one on one fight! and when they get drunk they do the same all all drunks! bottlevcourage, if you don't know that than you deserve what you get!

So all you farang apologists don't think people get beat up for not paying their tab in US/UK/Australia? Stuff like this happens all the time there and often it goes unnoticed, and in worse case scenarios, victims are never heard from again.

Yes, Thais can be guilty of over charging but if you stay in a bar and drink until 6am, expect to be taken advantage of anywhere in the world. Sadly many farang bring misfortune upon themselves with loudmouth, belligerent behavior while treating Thais like dirt.

And tell me who many places in US/UK/Australia presents a 20k bill instead of 2K to foreigners (arbitrary numbers).

And minorities in those countries have been overcharged for decades by white owned businesses and still do today. It wasnt until 40-50yrs non-whites were allowed to eat/drink in the same place as whites.

I see the TVBTV (Thia Visa Blame the Victims) Group is out if full force on this post.

It's amazing all the folks out there who know the whole story, without knowing any of the actual details, and have drawn the conclusion that the fellow with the knife wound and 'Dad' are clearly at fault. Amazing how many clairvoyants and psychics we have as TV members, especially among the TVBTV crowd.

The one thing that we do know of sure is that this happens at Chang Klan Karaoke bars consistently, and the PTB who should do something about the situation do nothing. Why? TIT. <cha-ching> ฿฿฿฿฿฿

What's to know? Hundreds if not thousands of low-life farang come to Thailand every year and try to pull the same stunt, not only in bars but restaurants and countless food stands. That's why the term 'farang' can often be used by Thais in a derisive manner reflecting the negative encounters theyve had with many farang who often mistaken Thai kindness and hospitality as signs of weakness and try to take advantage of it.

I see the TVBTV (Thia Visa Blame the Victims) Group is out if full force on this post.

It's amazing all the folks out there who know the whole story, without knowing any of the actual details, and have drawn the conclusion that the fellow with the knife wound and 'Dad' are clearly at fault. Amazing how many clairvoyants and psychics we have as TV members, especially among the TVBTV crowd.

The one thing that we do know of sure is that this happens at Chang Klan Karaoke bars consistently, and the PTB who should do something about the situation do nothing. Why? TIT. <cha-ching> ฿฿฿฿฿฿

What's to know? Hundreds if not thousands of low-life farang come to Thailand every year and try to pull the same stunt, not only in bars but restaurants and countless food stands. That's why the term 'farang' can often be used by Thais in a derisive manner reflecting the negative encounters theyve had with many farang who often mistaken Thai kindness and hospitality as signs of weakness and try to take advantage of it.

Shaddap will ya. Numpty.

So all you farang apologists don't think people get beat up for not paying their tab in US/UK/Australia? Stuff like this happens all the time there and often it goes unnoticed, and in worse case scenarios, victims are never heard from again.

Yes, Thais can be guilty of over charging but if you stay in a bar and drink until 6am, expect to be taken advantage of anywhere in the world. Sadly many farang bring misfortune upon themselves with loudmouth, belligerent behavior while treating Thais like dirt.

And tell me who many places in US/UK/Australia presents a 20k bill instead of 2K to foreigners (arbitrary numbers).

And minorities in those countries have been overcharged for decades by white owned businesses and still do today. It wasnt until 40-50yrs non-whites were allowed to eat/drink in the same place as whites.

Oh so that makes it ok then. I won't feel so bad doing this to other <insert race> people now.

My advice is stay away from any Karoake bar, they are a scam and all the fancy girls are thieves. Chang Klan road is lined with these places. I know firsthand of Cleo and Violin---stay away. Also, beware of any half assed Tuk Tuk drivers at 3am who want to take you there whether you want to go or not, they are in cahoots with the bars. Beware, there is no singing at these bars, only thieves after your money.

Fox(Peter) and son (Jackson) dropped by a few hours ago,

Fox had no sign of steroids he was really laughing about those comments...so I got him to pose

Optimized-Fox_no_roids_1.jpg

They both copped it bad on the back and shoulders but only bruises now.

maybe that ripped body in pic#1 was more to do with getting beaten up.

The knife wound was deep but in a lucky position under Jackson's ribs (lucky?).

Fox says the actual bill was 16K for 6 Heinekins only (after they were presented with bill version 2 at the Police station)

He also says he gave the Karaoke a bottle of Bundaberg rum when he first arrived didn't drink it himself.

..... make of that what you will.

He says they were well treated by the Royal Thai Police.

The assailants have a court date set already but these 2 don't need to attend.

The Karaoke is mainly in trouble for taking customers in after 1am according to Fox.

Goodnight all.

Fox(Peter) and son (Jackson) dropped by a few hours ago,

Fox had no sign of steroids he was really laughing about those comments...so I got him to pose

Optimized-Fox_no_roids_1.jpg

They both copped it bad on the back and shoulders but only bruises now.

maybe that ripped body in pic#1 was more to do with getting beaten up.

The knife wound was deep but in a lucky position under Jackson's ribs (lucky?).

Fox says the actual bill was 16K for 6 Heinekins only (after they were presented with bill version 2 at the Police station)

He also says he gave the Karaoke a bottle of Bundaberg rum when he first arrived didn't drink it himself.

..... make of that what you will.

He says they were well treated by the Royal Thai Police.

The assailants have a court date set already but these 2 don't need to attend.

The Karaoke is mainly in trouble for taking customers in after 1am according to Fox.

Goodnight all.

It is good to hear they are more or less ok now.

Was a story not too long about about somebody being blinded on one eye by these low-life criminals. A pity if nothing more than the small fine will be the consequence for the ones that assaulted them. But I guess that is what it will be, if it even amounts to that.

A few more things... the bill was reduced and paid and the assailants paid the hospital bill. The assailants had canes, knives and a machete. Son pulled dad out of the way of a machete swing at his throat. Dad had a piece of pipe. Dad was very happy his boy handled himsell well in the face of possible death. Not trying to sound too dramatic, they wern't bragging, quite sheepish really.

Maybe signs should be erected at the entrance of all Karaoke bars... ¨Enter at your own peril ¨

Been there and done that, luckily I didnt get a hiding but I did get a lesson and will never go into one of these joints again. Its just not worth the risk

Maybe signs should be erected at the entrance of all Karaoke bars... ¨Enter at your own peril ¨

Been there and done that, luckily I didnt get a hiding but I did get a lesson and will never go into one of these joints again. Its just not worth the risk

One of the places has a headliner text with "Keep walking" above the entry - I first wondered whether they mean inside or just to next venue :D

These joints = Money

If you are looking for a bargain, keep away.

Sometimes... a man enjoys a good time and is prepared to spend unreasonably.

These joints are for them.

wink.png

Which one is the father and which is the son?. lol

Seriously, foreigners have been warned for a while now about NOT going to local karaoke bars. As soon as you walk through the door the prices skyrocket.

They were obvioulsy very drunk but should still have paid the bill.

Now they pay twice.

The only karaoke bars you should consider visit ing are the big establishments in bangkok where you pay about 2000 b at the door for a bottle of Chivas or JW.

No arguements about prices and the girls are very pretty and very ,very expensive.

You get what you pay for in Thailand.

>>Weerayut said police found that the father and son drank and ate at the Kinnaree Karaoke shop on the Chang Klan Road Monday night but they refused to pay the bill, claiming the drinks and foods were too expensive.<<

Bloody idiots!!

Clearly steroids and alcohol don't go well together!! (Look at the 60!! year old father)

Except for the untrimmed hair, tattoo's and ass showing, that could be me and I am 65 and have never used illegal steroids or drugs.

He just does not know what he is talking about. Maybe projecting his own appearance onto others who knows. If this is the result of steroids i am sure they were fake cheesy.gif

Because fat, lazy and insecure people who look like a tub-of-goo need to rationalize why they look like crap and the 60 ear old guy is in reasonable shape..."it must be steroids".

• 1 month later...

A week ago a local Karaoke was damaged by fire, I saw the fire trucks racing past Panthip plaza myself.

apparently one on Changklan road near Chiang mai land....locals tell me it happens every year and the police report always says accidental for the insurance claim.

somehow I feel the need to laugh.

>>Weerayut said police found that the father and son drank and ate at the Kinnaree Karaoke shop on the Chang Klan Road Monday night but they refused to pay the bill, claiming the drinks and foods were too expensive.<<

Bloody idiots!!

Clearly steroids and alcohol don't go well together!! (Look at the 60!! year old father)

Except for the untrimmed hair, tattoo's and ass showing, that could be me and I am 65 and have never used illegal steroids or drugs.

He just does not know what he is talking about. Maybe projecting his own appearance onto others who knows. If this is the result of steroids i am sure they were fake cheesy.gif

Because fat, lazy and insecure people who look like a tub-of-goo need to rationalize why they look like crap and the 60 ear old guy is in reasonable shape..."it must be steroids".

Normally drunks don't have a big appetite , and every picture tells a story.... Hence the conclusion....

Maybe they should have just stayed home in Australia. Drinking until 6 AM is nothing to be proud of , especially when the 18 year old som is following his dads footsteps.

• 3 weeks later...

Title is wrong.

Stupid drunk tourist refused to pay the bill.

If the bill was 20,000 baht is he stupid? Without knowing the full facts what entitles you to be so judgmental?

Yes, still stupid. He should just pay and head straight to the police station instead of going through such an ordeal.

Tourists beaten and stabbed, but police feel the need to have a chat with the Karaoke bar before taking any action, as opposed to making arrests and then conducting interviews....... A stark reminder that we're in a third world country hiding behind a facade of shopping malls.

They didn't pay the bill that's why they were stabbed. You make it seem like they were attacked for no reason.

Suppose it was 2 chinese tourists who were stabbed i garner your reaction would be different.

Archived