Now Retirement extension, but offered employment

I have a retirement extension of stay. Have been offered a job in Bangkok and realise that I can't get a Work Permit using retirement.

Therefore I believe my options are:

Option 1) Cancel my retirement locally and go to possibly Penang for a single entry Non-O and apply for WP after obtaining Non-O.

Questions:

-If I cancel my retirement extension, how long do I have to leave the country, using that reason (ie: job on return)

-Do I need any special documents other than passport, personal docs etc to apply for the single entry. I have the work Contract, so would that suffice.

-Any other relevant info gratefully received.

-Also would Penang be my best bet, and if yes any special info on visa time, hotels, agents etc.

Option 2) I believe I could change my 1 year retirement extension into a 1 year marriage extension, because I believe a WP can be granted under this Marriage extension.

-If I do this (yes I am eligible) is it an easy process ie: if my retirement is up for renewal can I just request Marriage extension, with all the extra relevant documentation of course and use the job as my reason for change.

-If this is a good way does anyone have the up to date list of document requirements.

Note..(Company visa agent will be doing the WP application and any associated extensions etc, so I just have to make sure I have the correct initial visa.)

Thanks for all help.

1. You would not need to nor be able to cancel your extension based upon retirement at immigration leaving and re-entering the country without a re-entry permit will make it void. Going for a non-o would work it was based upon marriage to a Thai and copy of your marriage certificate is attached to the work permit application.

2. Certainly the best option because your extension would not be tied to your job.

Unless your extension based upon retirement is expiring you will not be able to change the reason for your extension to marriage. You will need to go out of the country and enter with a new non-o visa.

Get a one year multi O then when work stops you can keep it and stay without a problem. Means 90 day border hops but shouldn't be a big problem. If you go the extension route your extension stops the day you stop work.

How and where I can get this kind of visa? What kind of documentation if needed to get it? I am now with a retirement visa based just in income.

Please let me know in a message. Thanks.

Get a one year multi O then when work stops you can keep it and stay without a problem. Means 90 day border hops but shouldn't be a big problem. If you go the extension route your extension stops the day you stop work.

As stated previously if he gets an extension of stay based upon marriage it would not end if his job ends because it is not tied to the job.

An extension based upon working would end when the job ends..

How and where I can get this kind of visa? What kind of documentation if needed to get it? I am now with a retirement visa based just in income.

Please let me know in a message. Thanks.

Read my rebuttal to his post.

If you are married to a Thai you can get a multiple entry non-o visa in Savannakhet.

If not you might be able get one for being over 50 in Penang by showing 800 baht in the bank. Otherwise you might be able to get one in your home country.

Ubonjoe and others.

Appreciate all your comment etc...thanks

I have decided to go with my option#2 (Changing from retirement to Marriage extension).

So some facts to enable easier answers/comments.

-My Retirement extension expires 15th July so I can start the change process next Monday (30 days before)

-My WP application would start as soon as change done.

-As I have been on Non-O extensions continuously (firstly marriage, then retirement) for 16 years, my choice is sensible I believe, so I can continue with unbroken Non-O extensions, in case I wish to apply for PR or more in years to come.

-I would of course continue obtaining a 'multiple re-entry' to enable overseas travel if reqd.

So Questions:

-As the Marriage extension isn't issued immediately (I'll be doing this in Pattaya), and I believe it is always stamped under consideration, come back in a month, is this going to be ok to enable the initial WP application before the actual extension is stamped in my passport.

-If all this works out, then when my contract finishes I can just cancel the WP and live happily on my Marriage extension until it expires and then change back to Retirement.

-What is a Kor Ror 2 document?

-Do I still have to do 90 day reporting with marriage extension and WP?.

Is there an updated list of the latest document requirements for marriage extension somewhere, or can someone advise?

Once again many thanks for all help received....couch

Edited by couchpotato

You will get a under consideration stamp with are report back date 30 days from the date you apply. This should have no effect on being able to apply for a work permit since you will still be on a non immigrant visa entry. Just be sure a copy of your marriage certificate is attached to the work permit application.

The Kor Ror 2 is the marriage registry that was done when you registered your marriage. Now they give you one when you register your marriage. If you got married several years ago you may not of gotten one. Your wife can easily get one at any Amphoe by showing her ID card. They will print one out, sign and stamp it for a fee of 20 baht. But there could be a snag in getting it if it was never entered in the registry date base. It that happens then call to the Amphoe where you registered your marriage asking them to enter it might be enough.

You will still be doing 90 day reports. Only getting PR would end that.

If you want PR you will need to apply for it while you are working. If not working for 3 years you cannot apply.

The basic list of documents and etc follows. You will need 2 application forms with attached documents.

Passport and TM6 copies.

Marriage certificate and Kor Ror 2.

Wife's house book registry and ID card.

Map to house from nearest main road or street.

Photos of you and your wife in and around the house. One must show you both with the house number shown.

If not living where your wife's house book is for you will need proof of residence.

Two more questions and that should suffice.

1) When I renew my Retirement extension every year, I can renew up to 30 days early (ie: my Ret ext is up July 19th, so I can go today if I wanted), but if I am going to change the category (from Retirement to Marriage) then would I still be able to go early, or have to wait until the last day, because of the categry change.

2) if answer above is 'no' or 'probably not' then I'll have to consider going to Penang (or somewhere) for a new single entry Non-O, which of course I don't want to do. But supposing I did go next week, using my valid (until 19th July) re-entry permit, then would the Consulate issue a new Non-O with me actually having a still valid retirement extension/re-entry permit (ie: would they be atomatically cancelled and I enter on the new Non-O).

Thanks again.

if you happen to read this........... you can get a one year work permit on a "retirement visa". Everyone on this site will tell you that you can not...however I have already done this. Call the Labor Office and ask them what forms / documents you need. G luck

Two more questions and that should suffice.

1) When I renew my Retirement extension every year, I can renew up to 30 days early (ie: my Ret ext is up July 19th, so I can go today if I wanted), but if I am going to change the category (from Retirement to Marriage) then would I still be able to go early, or have to wait until the last day, because of the categry change.

2) if answer above is 'no' or 'probably not' then I'll have to consider going to Penang (or somewhere) for a new single entry Non-O, which of course I don't want to do. But supposing I did go next week, using my valid (until 19th July) re-entry permit, then would the Consulate issue a new Non-O with me actually having a still valid retirement extension/re-entry permit (ie: would they be atomatically cancelled and I enter on the new Non-O).

Thanks again.

Ubonjoe,

Due to personal issues, I might still go outside for a new single entry Non-0 next week, so could you now answer 2) above please.

Also as I would be obtaining a Non-0 based on applying for a WP, what documents would I need to take with me. Any places better than others?

Thanks again.

Edited by couchpotato

You cannot apply for a non-o based upon applying for a work permit.

You would apply for one based upon marriage to a Thai. You will need you marriage certificate plus a copy, signed and dated copies of your wife's house book and ID card. It would be a good idea to ask them to put an annotation on the visa staring it was issued based upon marriage.

I suggest you go to Vientiane or Savannakhet for your visa since you are in Pattaya.

You re-entry permit will not be a problem for getting the visa. The officer may ask what you want to use on entry. Since you will have less time remaining on it than the 90 day entry you will get form the visa he should stamp you in using the visa. Just be sure you put your visa number on the arrival card.

Ok last question I think.

If I get single entry 90 days Non-O based on marriage outside, come back and company apply and get a WP (in Bangkok), what happens after the 90 days is up.

Is it automatically renewed as Non-O (what category) until the WP expires (which I presume would be issued for one year)

or am I in the 90 day visa run to border category.

Any other info along those lines would be great.

FYI--The company I will be working for is BOI, so maybe that helps somewhat.

Ok last question I think.

If I get single entry 90 days Non-O based on marriage outside, come back and company apply and get a WP (in Bangkok), what happens after the 90 days is up.

Is it automatically renewed as Non-O (what category) until the WP expires (which I presume would be issued for one year)

or am I in the 90 day visa run to border category.

Any other info along those lines would be great.

FYI--The company I will be working for is BOI, so maybe that helps somewhat.

A work permit only allows you to work it does not allow you to stay here. You will need to apply for an extension of stay prior to the end of the 90 days.

As I said the extension based upon marriage is the best option since it would not be tied to your job.

If you get one based upon working and things don't work out you would loose your extension and be going out again for a new visa.