Don’t miss jaw-dropping Venus/Jupiter encounter over Thailand

Tywais

Don’t miss jaw-dropping Venus/Jupiter encounter

Venus and Jupiter are converging for a must-see close encounter at the end of June. It could be the best backyard sky show of 2015.

Throughout the month of June 2015, the two brightest planets in the night sky, Venus and Jupiter, are converging for a jaw-dropping close encounter.

When the sun goes down, step outside and look west. You don’t have to wait until the sky fades to black. Venus and Jupiter are so bright, you can see then shining through the twilight.

During the first two weeks of June, Venus and Jupiter converged until they’re now are only about 10 degrees apart. For reference, this means they would just fit together inside the bowl of the Big Dipper. You could hide them both, simultaneously, behind the palm of your outstretched hand.

This is pretty close, but by the end of the month this distance will shrink by a factor of 30. In fact, every night in June, the separation between Venus and Jupiter will visibly shrink.

On June 18, Venus and Jupiter will be only 6 degrees apart. Now you can hide the two behind just two or three of your fingers with your arm outstretched.

More here - earthsky.org

This should be cool providing the clouds don't get in the way. We were fortunate here in BKK that the sky cleared enough to watch the entire eclipse (blood moon) a couple of months ago.

The monks are going to love this. It will give them another "golden" opportunity to prey on the superstition of the locals. But as they say, everybody needs to make a living.

I have noticed these every evening above Doi Suthip. Nice to see a video explaing it all. Looks like june 19, 20 are the days to pick your three numbers for the lottery.

I'll be out with my tripod in CM hoping the clouds behave. Bet Doi Inthanon would be a great place to be. Also, there are some observatories open to the public for viewing specifically Nakhon Ratchasima and Chachoengsao on the 20th. Suspect CM also.

When the moon is in the Seventh House

And Jupiter aligns with Mars

Then peace will guide the planets

And love will steer the stars

..........and a lucky few of us got to see the delicious Marsha Hunt.............

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius

I remember the music the first time around.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing.

Oh Dear. That really puts an age to the poster.

This is the dawning of the age of aquarius

Age of Aquarius

Aquariuuuuuuuuuus, Aquariuuuuus!

Yep a gr8 time that was HAIR , I had some then too , my dad thought I was a long hair hippy. I was as well.

Dude, are they gonna like, COLLIDE???

Treating your question with much more seriousness than was probably intended, no. At their closest they are 670,000,000 km apart. At the moment, viewed from Earth towards an inner orbit and then back out to Jupiter, likely more than twice that.

There's a lot of SFA out there.

A lineup of the Moon, Venus and Jupiter will be seen as of Friday night

18-6-2558-17-21-14-wpcf_728x404.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Stargazers will have a chance to see the Moon, Venus and Jupiter come close together that will brighten up the western sky for three consecutive nights start from Friday night.

The National Astronomical Research Institute said that the realignment of the planets and the Moon was a normal natural phenomenon and, this time around, the realignment of the Moon, Venus and Jupiter would be different each night.

On Friday night, the Moon, Venus and Jupiter will line up in the western sky but on Saturday night, the lineup will be the Moon, Jupiter and Venus and on Sunday night, the Moon will move higher above Jupiter.

The phenomenon can be seen with naked eyes from sunset and all through the night.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/a-lineup-of-the-moon-venus-and-jupiter-will-be-seen-as-of-friday-night

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-18

The monks are going to love this. It will give them another "golden" opportunity to prey on the superstition of the locals. But as they say, everybody needs to make a living.

I can clearly see the lottery numbers here....

..........and a lucky few of us got to see the delicious Marsha Hunt.............

Yeah, as I recall she had quite a bush back then....now 69 years old

Dude, are they gonna like, COLLIDE???

Treating your question with much more seriousness than was probably intended, no. At their closest they are 670,000,000 km apart.

TOTAL COLLISION!!

I hope it's a cool explosion like when the terrorists blew up Alderaan!

Edited by timmyp

A written Poem on Nana Plaza? I like that! thumbsup.gif

From the song The dawning of the age of Aquarius

From the musical Hair

I try not to drop my jaw. Last time I did some dude scooped it up and I had to fork over 500 baht. This is so jaw dropping that if you didn't know exactly where to look, you'd miss it. Maybe song here should be "white boys are so pretty..." etc.

I did see this a couple of nights ago, 2 tiny pinpricks of light in the sky giving the illusion that they were near to each other. A draw-dropping, tedious waste of 30 seconds vision as I screamed out "oh my god!" in awe.

Edited by Sviss Geez