Where to buy milk?

LarryBird

Go to the Thai/Danish milk factory opposite Chiang Mai Zoo. I buy pasteurised, whole milk there in 5 litre bags. Great for making yoghurt.

I bottle it in clean milk bottles and it keeps for quite a while, but then I use about 3 litres to make yoghurt.

CMU Ag school sells every afternoon, about 100 m west of CMU Steak. 500ml is 18 thb, 1 liter is 35 thb.

500ml is 18 thb, 1 liter is 35 thb.

Plus the cost of travel to and from compared to buying it in the nearest shop that sells it.

These posts / questions are getting more & more ridiculous every day blink.png

I just gave an honest answer.

At first I thought milk was code for something else when he's asking for good service and a return policy. I've never considered these choices much when buying my milk.

How do you return milk anyway? Maybe you just took a splash for a cup of coffee they might say, and this opens up to a whole world of issues.

since the OP hasn't actually returned to comment or clarify what he wants, it is hard to further the conversation.

However most comments about buying at a store are absurd. The topic isn't absurd.

Many people are looking for fresh whole milk (also called raw milk) that isn't pasteurized or homogenized for making yogurt, cheese etc.

so the topic is valid, just some comments aren't

CMU agricultural department sells it in bags not bottle or jugs. They have both pasteurized and raw milk. Make sure that you clarify what you are getting. Making cheese and yogurt with pasteurized milk isn't as effective and drinking raw milk can sometimes be harmful as well.

To all of the yoghurt makers; I use 4 litres of milk every week to make yoghurt (I strain it to make it as thick as Greek yoghurt, about 50% yoghurt/whey, and Mr K drinks the whey as is and I use it in place of water for flatbread making). Is there a significant difference using the milk from Thai/Danish milk factory or CMU AG department? I know that there is a difference between brands of milk available at the supermarkets, currently experimenting with UHT milk which gives an OK taste and a slightly different texture, but as we eat/drink so much of it a big difference in quality and taste would make it worth making the trip.

Any opinions welcome.

To all of the yoghurt makers; I use 4 litres of milk every week to make yoghurt (I strain it to make it as thick as Greek yoghurt, about 50% yoghurt/whey, and Mr K drinks the whey as is and I use it in place of water for flatbread making). Is there a significant difference using the milk from Thai/Danish milk factory or CMU AG department? I know that there is a difference between brands of milk available at the supermarkets, currently experimenting with UHT milk which gives an OK taste and a slightly different texture, but as we eat/drink so much of it a big difference in quality and taste would make it worth making the trip.

Any opinions welcome.

RAW milk from the dairy opposite the Zoo in Huay Keow is 125bht for 5l.

So the difference is the price.

But if you don't kill the natural bacteria (by heating) it becomes farmers cottage cheese instead of yogurt.

Which is also quite nice.

• 2 months later...

RAW milk from the dairy opposite the Zoo in Huay Keow is 125bht for 5l.

So the difference is the price.

Currently (as of 28 Aug 2015) price is 130 THB / 5 Liters of raw milk at Thai Danish.

But if you don't kill the natural bacteria (by heating) it becomes farmers cottage cheese instead of yogurt.

Which is also quite nice.

That's not quite right. First one gets Yoghurt or Curd based on what is added to milk (cooked or raw). Yoghurt is produced by adding yoghurt culture. Curd (precursor to cheese) is produced by adding rennet or sometimes just an acidic element (lemon juice, etc.). Either Yoghurt or Curd and Cheese of any kind can use raw milk or pasteurized/homogenized milk.

Fun fact: in Slovenia, there are raw milk vending machines: http://modernfarmer.com/2014/03/americans-envy-europes-raw-milk-vending-machines/

That's not quite right. First one gets Yoghurt or Curd based on what is added to milk (cooked or raw). Yoghurt is produced by adding yoghurt culture. Curd (precursor to cheese) is produced by adding rennet or sometimes just an acidic element (lemon juice, etc.). Either Yoghurt or Curd and Cheese of any kind can use raw milk or pasteurized/homogenized milk.

Fun fact: in Slovenia, there are raw milk vending machines: http://modernfarmer.com/2014/03/americans-envy-europes-raw-milk-vending-machines/

You're wrong,

RAW milk is seething with it's own bacteria, you can add anything you like and it won't make a spot of difference.

You get curds (or sometimes something you don't want if the cow had some kind of infection, like TB or mastitis)

You've clearly never used RAW milk or made anything from RAW milk, so butt out.

Trouble about all these threads, people that know nothing think google makes them experts, well it ain't true.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

You're wrong,

RAW milk is seething with it's own bacteria, you can add anything you like and it won't make a spot of difference.

You get curds (or sometimes something you don't want if the cow had some kind of infection, like TB or mastitis)

You've clearly never used RAW milk or made anything from RAW milk, so butt out.

Trouble about all these threads, people that know nothing think google makes them experts, well it ain't true.

Well, according the the people at culturesforhealth.com, raw milk yogurt is doable. You do have to heat the milk to 110 degrees Farenheit, but since that doesn't change the protein or vitamin content of the milk, nor does it kill bacteria, most people consider that raw. I get lots of my cultures from them. According to them, it's best to use very fresh raw milk and keep your equipment as clean as possible. And if it's possible to make raw milk yogurt, I don't see why it's also not possible to make raw milk cottage cheese.

And is it really necessary to be so abusive? i mean, we're talking about 2 of the blandest foods in the universe. Why so much anger?

About every second or third week I use 5 Liters of raw milk from the dairy opposite the zoo to make yogurt. I heat the raw milk to 84 degrees Celsius and keep it at that temperature for 5 minutes to kill all the bacteria in the raw milk. I let it cool to 45 degrees Celsius and then add some yogurt from the previous batch to introduce the lactic acid eating bacteria (Lactobacillales ) and keep it warm for 6 to 8 hours.

The yogurt can be kept in the refrigerator for several weeks with no problems. I use it mainly for shakes and in cooking. If I need Greek yogurt I strain the yogurt through paper towels for a day or more.

• 10 months later...

Somebody told me that the milk you buy in Tesco and Big C over here isn't the same as the milk you buy in a supermarket in England. Is that true and if so what is the difference pls?

The animal husbandry and cows will be different, as for the processing, allowed feed, and allowed drugs/hormones I don't know.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Making cheese and yogurt with pasteurized milk isn't as effective and drinking raw milk can sometimes be harmful as well.

You can't make yogurt, without first pasteurizing the milk.

I use nothing but Raw milk to drink and cook, I'm still here, no harm done .... yet.

But to make yogurt, easier to buy already pasteurized milk.

Edited by MissAndry

Somebody told me that the milk you buy in Tesco and Big C over here isn't the same as the milk you buy in a supermarket in England. Is that true and if so what is the difference pls?

Different breed of cow, different feed, so different flavor.

Edited by MissAndry