Top 3 Favorite & Top 3 Least Favorite Things About Living in Thailand

jsgatse

Personally, I'd rather have a discussion on why something is particularly attractive - like the countryside (seems a bit non-specific to me) or some discussion on why perceived negatives could be seen positively. And I suspect that was the spirit in which the OP was raised. Sadly, there seem to be a lot of knockers here, and in my view, you can have too many knockers

SC

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You wrote, "Lack of critical thinking & debating skills , Lack of respect for the environment, Lack of freedom of speech"

Those are three generic complaints that could be applied to any of 100 different countries that I can think of.

Do you really not know what it means when a person does that sort of thing?

Your topic was just an invitation to belittle Thailand. In reply other posters like SC jumped on the bandwagon and listed three also common negative stereotypes, insect eating, Monks and Theravada Buddhism.

It would be like me saying I don't like ------ because they don't bath, have bad teeth, terrible food and complain about everything!

Now do you see what I mean? Worthless negative stereotypes that don't need to be repeated on Thai Visa for the 10,000th time.

I never noted the insects, or Buddhism, as negatives. I commended the glorification of God at the expense of personal wealth, and queried whether the insects were particularly tasty.

I think Thailand's Lese Majeste laws are an unusual tool available here to suppress free speech, but I have never found that to be a problem - notwithstanding the opportunity for someone to seek a particularly perverse interpretation to suppress some discussion of the Phillips' family rugby allegiances. I think the slightly unusual libel laws are more of a hazard to most of us.

You're right, though - sticking out nails and in appropriately located street furniture are not unique to Thailand - but I find them more common here than in my own country, or many other countries I have visited.

Thailand may not be the worst, though. I have never visited a scrap yard as untidy as our site in Mumbai. But being "not the worst" doesn't make Thailand perfect, and unlike the Crown, the nation is not beyond criticism

SC

Anyone can go up and read your post and see you are being disingenuous.

What is your beef with Thailand? You don't live here. I don't get it.

You wrote, "Lack of critical thinking & debating skills , Lack of respect for the environment, Lack of freedom of speech"

Those are three generic complaints that could be applied to any of 100 different countries that I can think of.

Your topic was just an invitation to belittle Thailand. In reply other posters like SC jumped on the bandwagon and listed three also common negative stereotypes, insect eating, Monks and Theravada Buddhism.

It would be like me saying I don't like ------ because they don't bath, have bad teeth, terrible food and complain about everything!

Now do you see what I mean? Worthless negative stereotypes that don't need to be repeated on Thai Visa for the 10,000th time.

I never noted the insects, or Buddhism, as negatives. I commended the glorification of God at the expense of personal wealth, and queried whether the insects were particularly tasty.

I think Thailand's Lese Majeste laws are an unusual tool available here to suppress free speech, but I have never found that to be a problem - notwithstanding the opportunity for someone to seek a particularly perverse interpretation to suppress some discussion of the Phillips' family rugby allegiances. I think the slightly unusual libel laws are more of a hazard to most of us.

You're right, though - sticking out nails and in appropriately located street furniture are not unique to Thailand - but I find them more common here than in my own country, or many other countries I have visited.

Thailand may not be the worst, though. I have never visited a scrap yard as untidy as our site in Mumbai. But being "not the worst" doesn't make Thailand perfect, and unlike the Crown, the nation is not beyond criticism

SC

Anyone can go up and read your post and see you are being disingenuous.

What is your beef with Thailand? You don't live here. I don't get it.

I really don't see where you get those ideas from. But at least I try to maintain a little discussion of the good and bad points of Thailand in my posts, rather than berating other posters for their opinions.

If you truly loved Thailand, I'd have seen you at The Army Stadium for the rugby game against Malaysia back in 2008 (?) or National Stadium for the game against Chinese Taipei; or maybe not.

The 2011 or 2012 (?) game against Malaysia was a cracker, by the way, with Thailand defending heroically to secure the win and promotion

SC

My real intent is "hate Thai hate"?! Despite not making any grammatical sense, your analysis is way off. I listed my top 3 things I liked and the top 3 things I didn't like.

I don't like that the current government puts dissenting journalists in jail - do you??? Does that mean that I "hate Thai hate"? No, it means I don't like that people aren't given the freedom to voice their opinions on "controversial matters"

If I said I don't like that a Chinese guy just threw trash in my front yard, does that mean that I "hate Chinese hate"?

Either you are so blinded by your inferiority complex or you are just a bully who thinks by shouting louder you win...either way, it's "sad AYADEE sad"

LoSToday:

I have lived all over the world. I am pretty savvy, thank you. My three "generic comments" are specific to my experience in Thailand and they resonate more here than other places that I have been. That's why i listed them as my opinions.

Let's take one of my "worthless negative stereotypes" as an example - regarding the lack of critical thinking skills...

Here's a comment from a THAI (maybe you will value his opinion more?). In fact, he is the President of the Thailand Development Research Institute (and was nominated one of the Bangkok Post's People of the Year in 2012 (!)), so feel free to discredit him as well, if he doesn't meet your "standards"....

He says:

The Thai education system fails to equip students with the ability to think for themselves. Individuals who know how to think, and can adapt themselves to new environments, are likely to excel in the world. It is depressing that Thailand trains its young people to read, write and do sums but neglects to incorporate other important learning skills such as critical thinking and teambuilding.

The full article is here, if you would like to read it: http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2013/09/17/teach-thais-to-think/

If you want to start calling him a whiner and a complainer and a hater, etc - his email and address and phone are listed here: http://tdri.or.th/en/staff/somkiat-tangkitvanich/ Perhaps you can go after another person who has formed a well-thought out opinion based on personal experience and knowledge - I'm sure he would love to have a battle of the brains with you :)

Least

1 Old Farang

2 Dogs

3 Noise

Most

1 Generally, polite & friendly people (not just when the sun shines or it's Christmas)

2 Cheap, strong beer

3 Doesn't drizzle all day long.

> Least

> 1 "Old Farang"

Hey.... sorry.... I really tried to stop aging.... wanted to stay at 35 years of age.. It didn't work.

My apologies.. I'm 63 now... If you've figured out how to stop the years going by..... please let us in on the secret.

Thanks.

My real intent is "hate Thai hate"?! Despite not making any grammatical sense, your analysis is way off. I listed my top 3 things I liked and the top 3 things I didn't like.

I don't like that the current government puts dissenting journalists in jail - do you??? Does that mean that I "hate Thai hate"? No, it means I don't like that people aren't given the freedom to voice their opinions on "controversial matters"

If I said I don't like that a Chinese guy just threw trash in my front yard, does that mean that I "hate Chinese hate"?

Either you are so blinded by your inferiority complex or you are just a bully who thinks by shouting louder you win...either way, it's "sad AYADEE sad"

LoSToday:

I have lived all over the world. I am pretty savvy, thank you. My three "generic comments" are specific to my experience in Thailand and they resonate more here than other places that I have been. That's why i listed them as my opinions.

Let's take one of my "worthless negative stereotypes" as an example - regarding the lack of critical thinking skills...

Here's a comment from a THAI (maybe you will value his opinion more?). In fact, he is the President of the Thailand Development Research Institute (and was nominated one of the Bangkok Post's People of the Year in 2012 (!)), so feel free to discredit him as well, if he doesn't meet your "standards"....

He says:

The Thai education system fails to equip students with the ability to think for themselves. Individuals who know how to think, and can adapt themselves to new environments, are likely to excel in the world. It is depressing that Thailand trains its young people to read, write and do sums but neglects to incorporate other important learning skills such as critical thinking and teambuilding.

The full article is here, if you would like to read it: http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2013/09/17/teach-thais-to-think/

If you want to start calling him a whiner and a complainer and a hater, etc - his email and address and phone are listed here: http://tdri.or.th/en/staff/somkiat-tangkitvanich/ Perhaps you can go after another person who has formed a well-thought out opinion based on personal experience and knowledge - I'm sure he would love to have a battle of the brains with you smile.png

A “stereotype” is a generalization about a person or group of persons. We develop stereotypes when we are unable or unwilling to obtain all of the information we would need to make fair judgments about people or situations. In the absence of the “total picture,” stereotypes in many cases allow us to “fill in the blanks.” Our society often innocently creates and perpetuates stereotypes, but these stereotypes often lead to unfair discrimination and persecution when the stereotype is unfavorable.
Virtually all scientists accept the fact that there is no credible scientific evidence that one race is culturally or psychologically different from any other, or that one race is superior to another. Past studies which reached conclusions other than that have been found to be seriously flawed in their methodology or inherently biased.
I'm sure the man you quoted above could give me an example of critical thinking and how it is taught. I'm also sure you could not. Therefore I conclude you are being a parrot and repeating negative stereotypes in hopes of starting others along the same negative road.
Edit to add the Thai guy probably could not answer how to teach it either. He's was probably repeating a sound bite.
Edited by lostoday

AJD:

1) thai people

2)thai food

3) thai countryside

1)farang whiners

2)farang whiners

3)farang whiners

Endquote

SC

I get fed up with people complaining about farang whiners.

I think if all three of the things that upset me most in Thailand were farang whiners, I'd probably stop going to those places I was exposed to them, and stop opening threads where I might read their comments. Unless I was a glutton for punishment

SC

Endquote

AJD:

still whining I see.

Endquote

SC:

And dining.

What is it that particularly enamours the Thai people to you? Their lack of capital letters?

Similarly Thai food? I've never tried the various beetles and other insects on offer, but they do look quite tasty - I just worry they would have the same slightly unpleasant texture as shrimp limbs. But then, I'm a pretty conservative eater.

What are the aspects of the Thai countryside that you particularly like? I'm pretty much a city boy, but I appreciate a bit of greenery from time to time. I find that for a lot of the year, the Thai countryside seems dustily dry on the Central Plains

I'm surprised that you didn't mention Thai culture - you could've stretched to four, and pushed the limits - or combined it with one of the others. Or perhaps you see Thai culture as an aspect of its people. Or it's food. Or countryside. I love the extravagant temples and glorification of Buddha. I think ostentatious temples and religious displays highlight by contrast the poverty to which the monks are committed.

SC

Endquote

AJD:

can't seem to stop yourself can ya pal?

SC:

I was really hoping for something a bit more positive. Perhaps a commendation that the insects were very tasty, so that I might be encouraged to overcome my trepidation and try them. Or a suggestion for some other Thai dish that you particularly enjoy.

Perhaps a recommendation for some area of the country that is a bit more lush. Or somewhere that is easy to travel in the rainy season.

I've no objection to the glorification of God, we've all done it in the past, and it generates some of the most spectacular architecture in any country.

It just seems like no-one else on this thread is actually putting any thought into their answers, or trying to be helpful in any way, just carping at the other posters. I suppose, carry on, if that's what you enjoy. But since you were complaining about the thread in the first place, it just seems like you're a glutton for punishment and enjoy whining.

SC

Endquote

AJD:

the OP asked a question, I answered. I realize you know almost nothing about thailand and need advice but I don't like to encourage your type to stay any longer than necessary

Endquote

My type? Salarymen?

I like the convenience of a relatively low income, low mobility economy , with all my daily needs available at reassonable cost within short walking distance.

The school my children attend is outstanding.

The fruit and veg in the supermarkets is generally great.

I'm surprised that so many foreigners here are so rude about and to their fellows.

I get fed up with businesses that don't put their name and address in Thai script on their business cards - it often makes it difficult to get there by taxi.

Shoddy workmanship - particularly protruding nails and sharp corners.

I've tried not to speculate on reasons why things are the way that they are, though sometimes when you understand the reasons, they become easier to accept and less upsetting.

SC

your livelihood has no bearing on your type

Too many pro reasons to list. As for the 3 least favorite things, in no particular order:

-Filth. Dirty streets, trash dumped on the road, the nauseating smell of sewage and garbage piles, and the lack of overall hygiene.

-Temperature. Mostly it's far too cold in Europe and I stay indoors where it's warm. In Thailand it's mostly too hot and I stay indoors to stay cool. If God could somehow adjust the average temperature in Bangkok to around 20°-25°C that would be great.

-Prices. This sort of equalizes itself out. At 68thb a pack of cigarettes is cheap, however the price of alcohol is nearly double that of Europe.

You must live in a different Europe from me. Ask our Norwegian cousins why they drink in Denmark where its four pounds a pint or something.

Germany. The cost of a bottle of beer is slightly higher than that of bottled water. And don't get me started on the French, they drink wine like it's mineral water.