Top 3 Favorite & Top 3 Least Favorite Things About Living in Thailand

jsgatse

1. The food

2. The genuine friendliness of the majority of people

3. The relaxed culture

1. The corruption at every level

2. The extremely spiteful nature of some Thais when they don't get what they want (usually red-shirts)

3. The heat and humidity when it is at it's peak

I agree those silly Thais expecting to elect their leaders what will they want next.tongue.png

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't need another Thai-bashing thread.

Ummm....excuse me?

I specifically said "Let's not turn this into a ranting session" And, I asked for the top 3 favorite things as well.

So, it's more of a conversation than a bash...

If you asked me about my home country, I'd be happy to give you the top 3 and bottom 3 there as well....

So, relax, Mesquite.

"I specifically said "Let's not turn this into a ranting session"
Try to serious. Do you really think saying that will deter all the disgruntled, bored and self-loathing posters from having a go? Everyday people post 101 things, mainly imaginary or misunderstood things, they dislike
This is Thai Visa. Most bashing threads have some caveat or disclaimer about bashing and then quickly turn to bash, bash, bash. What could you possibly hope to achieve by starting another thread that is unlikely to come up with anything new or interesting?

I don't know why people complain so much about threads on TV. It's very easy to avoid reading them.

Free speech does not mean mandatory listening. You can read whatever thread you want to, yet you choose to read this thread - which you believe from the title to be a bashing thread - and then choose to comment on it, having a go at the Original Poster and the other posters on this thread.

Favourites

Cheap haircuts

bar girls

cheap taxis top-class metros

Less Favourites

Humidity

Untidyness

Poor infrastructure (excepting Bangkok's urban railways, which perhaps should be in the other category)

Edit: I'd forgotten about the noise. Cacophony in shopping malls. That does my head in, so it does. But I don't think it makes it into the top bottom 3. Not unless I've got a hangover

Edited by StreetCowboy

Least

1 Old Farang

2 Dogs

3 Noise

Most

1 Generally, polite & friendly people (not just when the sun shines or it's Christmas)

2 Cheap, strong beer

3 Doesn't drizzle all day long.

Edited by elliottm

1. The food

2. The genuine friendliness of the majority of people

3. The relaxed culture

1. The corruption at every level

2. The extremely spiteful nature of some Thais when they don't get what they want (usually red-shirts)

3. The heat and humidity when it is at it's peak

I agree those silly Thais expecting to elect their leaders what will they want next.tongue.png

Thought they were all excellent points, didn't need the addendum about local politics, they've comfortably won every election since their founding in 2001, why would you deny the majority what they clearly want? If they pursue populist policies that threaten to ruin the country they'll get kicked out in due time within the democratic political cycle.

Top three thing

no speed cameras and parking wardens everywhere

no political correctness stifling free speach

the wife earns far more here in buisness than working in a Thai restaurant in Britain,all she could do.

i could go on but you said only 3

worst things

the me first attitude of drivers

no free healthcare

the lack of thought that goes into anything.

Some very good points. Lese majeste is a severe limitation on free speech. as is Article 41. Basic healthcare generally available for 30bt and higher cover for social security payments. Encourage your successful business woman wife to pay more taxes and your wish for free healthcare would be more affordable.

first the good things,

No 1, my wife and children,

No 2, being able to farm without to many restrictions,

No3, the general freedom you feel when living here,

the not so good things,

No 1, to bloody hot in the hot season, ( that seams to last longer now)

No 3, not being able to grow all the veg i used to love growing in the uk, yes i can grow some here and some beautiful flowers, but i miss potatoes and the first frost on my brussles,

No 3, i truely think they could make the visa reporting a little better, but its only once every 90days no hardship just a pain,

Not sure farang are allowed to farm, it's a prohibited occupation. Perhaps the general freedom you enjoy here is by ignoring Thai laws? 90 Days reporting now takes a couple of mins online.

I don't know why people complain so much about threads on TV. It's very easy to avoid reading them.

Free speech does not mean mandatory listening. You can read whatever thread you want to, yet you choose to read this thread - which you believe from the title to be a bashing thread - and then choose to comment on it, having a go at the Original Poster and the other posters on this thread.

Free Speech? With all do respect this is Thai Visa and Thailandtongue.png Perhaps you should choose another concept to express your idea. wai2.gif

Top three thing

no speed cameras and parking wardens everywhere

no political correctness stifling free speach

the wife earns far more here in buisness than working in a Thai restaurant in Britain,all she could do.

i could go on but you said only 3

worst things

the me first attitude of drivers

no free healthcare

the lack of thought that goes into anything.

Some very good points. Lese majeste is a severe limitation on free speech. as is Article 41. Basic healthcare generally available for 30bt and higher cover for social security payments. Encourage your successful business woman wife to pay more taxes and your wish for free healthcare would be more affordable.

Believe it or not she pays her full tax already .

unlike me she is very honest.smile.png

Lack of critical thinking skills among expats living in Thailand.

Let me give you an example. A person posted a topic and said he didn't want it to become a Thai bash and then He started off the posting by writing the below - a major Thai bash.

Lack of critical thinking & debating skills - most people just seem to believe whatever they are told, never question authority, and are unable to operate outside a predefined set of operating procedures.

- Lack of respect for the environment - Thailand has such natural beauty, and most people seem to not even think twice about throwing their crap out of their car window, dumping trash on the side of the road, throwing trash into the rivers/storm drains

- Lack of freedom of speech - closely tied to the first item above in this category. But, the criminal / legal consequences for making statements about the government, voicing opinions on judicial rulings (and, of course you all know the big one that I can't even probably specifically mention here! (case in point)) goes squarely against the basic tenets of freedom of speech that are common in my home country.

That is three big Thai bashes in a row and sets the tone for the topic to become an out and out Thai bash.

I feel sad that whatever school system he comes from has stopped teaching critical thinking.

Perhaps you aren't familiar with the definition of "critical thinking". It's defined as: the objective analysis and evaluation of an issue in order to form a judgment

You question my education, but perhaps you should evaluate your own since you seem to immediately resort to name calling and defensiveness and instead miss the intent of the original post which was to foster dialogue and to allow people to share their opinions and views.

And, I'll be sure to share with the university I attended (a globally ranked top 20 university) that you "feel sad for them" - I'm sure they will lose some sleep over this issue.

Edited by jsgatse

Free Speech? With all do respect this is Thai Visa and Thailandtongue.png Perhaps you should choose another concept to express your idea. wai2.gif

My point was that people are free to start topics, and mesquite and Suradit should exercise their right not to read them, rather than opening up threads that they know they are not going to enjoy, and then complaining about them.

Lack of free speech is not something that I have ever had a problem with in Thailand

SC

My point was that people are free to start topics, and mesquite and Suradit should exercise their right not to read them, rather than opening up threads that they know they are not going to enjoy, and then complaining about them.

Lack of free speech is not something that I have ever had a problem with in Thailand

SC

And the blind man has no problem with anything he sees. I think majority of posters are expressing displeasure that topics like this are posted because they only lead to bad feelings.

The OP writes about Thais, " - Lack of critical thinking & debating skills - Lack of respect for the environment- Lack of freedom of speech - .

The rule; You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand.

I think the OP and further debate reflects a difference of opinion of what degrading or overly negative comments means.

My problem is not with the truth. My problem is not with anything specific. But when anyone generalizes that all Thais have a lack of critical thinking skills or debating skills I find that offensive.

No problem when a person sites an example and says that is a lack of critical thinking skills- I think that is fine. It is the negative stereotyping of all Thai people as in this OP that I think is out of line as do many others posting in this thread.

And the blind man has no problem with anything he sees. I think majority of posters are expressing displeasure that topics like this are posted because they only lead to bad feelings.

The OP writes about Thais, " - Lack of critical thinking & debating skills - Lack of respect for the environment- Lack of freedom of speech - .

The rule; You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand.

I think the OP and further debate reflects a difference of opinion of what degrading or overly negative comments means.

My problem is not with the truth. My problem is not with anything specific. But when anyone generalizes that all Thais have a lack of critical thinking skills or debating skills I find that offensive.

No problem when a person sites an example and says that is a lack of critical thinking skills- I think that is fine. It is the negative stereotyping of all Thai people as in this OP that I think is out of line as do many others posting in this thread.

Well, contrary to your expectation, I don't think this thread has turned into a Thaibashingfest.

From this page "The lack of thought that goes into anything" and your quote of "lack of critical thinking" which could be seen as the same thing, and "Lack of respect for the environment" could be considered as negative opinions of Thai people.

If you wanted examples of the former, I could cite excessive noise disturbing the neighbours (a frequent complaint on this forum), appalling placement of street furniture, as examples of the latter, widespread littering and fly-tipping and rubbish-burning.

Rather than criticising people for their opinions, perhaps it would be better to put forward your own positive opinions, or give examples of excellent critical thinking and care for the environment in Thailand.

SC

Favs:

a) cost of living - therefore, no $$$ worries

cool.png quality ladies & their families (beauty, caring, thoughtful)

c) Food & fruit

Dislikes:

a) Immigration Office services - options & access available

cool.png television options

c ???

Edited by fang37

Well, contrary to your expectation, I don't think this thread has turned into a Thaibashingfest.

From this page "The lack of thought that goes into anything" and your quote of "lack of critical thinking" which could be seen as the same thing, and "Lack of respect for the environment" could be considered as negative opinions of Thai people.

If you wanted examples of the former, I could cite excessive noise disturbing the neighbours (a frequent complaint on this forum), appalling placement of street furniture, as examples of the latter, widespread littering and fly-tipping and rubbish-burning.

Rather than criticising people for their opinions, perhaps it would be better to put forward your own positive opinions, or give examples of excellent critical thinking and care for the environment in Thailand.

SC

Why should I be held to facts in disproving a stereotype, "Lack of critical thinking & debating skills." Is there something about me that I have to play by different rules than the OP when he posts a negative stereotype?

Fair is fair. He posts a negative stereotype to refute I should post a positive stereotype. No?

Only two faves - soapies and bum guns.

The negative aspects I won't put down. Let's just leave it at "I have already bought my plane ticket to move to Mexico."

I was considering Panama but it seems too expensive. Where is cheap in Mexico? Just curious.

1.) Affordable living

2.) Affordable healthcare. Good Quality

3.) The women and their families.

1.) Driving

2.) Ridicules online shopping. Import taxes.

3.) Food Lack of familiar veggies. Low quality beef.

Edited by GaryB1263

SC

Why should I be held to facts in disproving a stereotype, "Lack of critical thinking & debating skills." Is there something about me that I have to play by different rules than the OP when he posts a negative stereotype?

Fair is fair. He posts a negative stereotype to refute I should post a positive stereotype. No?

Yes. On you go. post a positive stereotype. Plenty of others have - mostly along the lines of stereotyping Thais as friendly and hospitable. And so far, no-one has contradicted them.

Come to that, no-one has contradicted any of the negative stereotypes either, you (and others) have just criticised the posters for expressing them.

SC

Yes. On you go. post a positive stereotype. Plenty of others have - mostly along the lines of stereotyping Thais as friendly and hospitable. And so far, no-one has contradicted them.

Come to that, no-one has contradicted any of the negative stereotypes either, you (and others) have just criticised the posters for expressing them.

SC

You are correct. I can't argue with negative stereotypes or the people who give them credence. A kid in the US a couple of days ago believing in negative stereotypes killed 9 black people in a church. It wasn't the gun that killed them it was the negative stereotypes.

The OP gives us negative stereotypes about Thai people and critical thinking and debate. Are all Thai people incapable of critical thinking or debate? Of course not and there exists no evidence to support that conclusion.

The OP gives us negative stereotypes about Thai people and the environment. Tons of Co2 emissions Australia 25.9, Canada 24, USA, 22, Thailand 5.

Lack of freedom of speech? Walking in the grocery store today I told a woman 40 years my junior she had a nice figure. Try that in your Western country. Freedom of speech my butt.

Do you really think adults should deal in comparing national stereotypes? Aren't you a bit older and wiser than that?

SC

You are correct. I can't argue with negative stereotypes or the people who give them credence. A kid in the US a couple of days ago believing in negative stereotypes killed 9 black people in a church. It wasn't the gun that killed them it was the negative stereotypes.

The OP gives us negative stereotypes about Thai people and critical thinking and debate. Are all Thai people incapable of critical thinking or debate? Of course not and there exists no evidence to support that conclusion.

The OP gives us negative stereotypes about Thai people and the environment. Tons of Co2 emissions Australia 25.9, Canada 24, USA, 22, Thailand 5.

Lack of freedom of speech? Walking in the grocery store today I told a woman 40 years my junior she had a nice figure. Try that in your Western country. Freedom of speech my butt.

Do you really think adults should deal in comparing national stereotypes? Aren't you a bit older and wiser than that?

Now I am really lost...thought it is about 3 pros and 3 cons ...and not the private debating club.....

SC

Now I am really lost...thought it is about 3 pros and 3 cons ...and not the private debating club.....

The above is a debate about the three cons which I hold are negative stereotypes and should recognized as negative stereotypes and have no place in a discussion about Thailand. Would you want people continually talking about negative stereotypes about you? There is no way you can prove or disprove them they are worthless to discuss. Brits don't take baths, Americans don't have passports, French women smell bad, Thais have no critical thinking skills, and on and on and on. Why discuss such dimwitted opinions over and over again.

Edited by lostoday

Mine are the same as the majority, ie pros: the people, family, weather, the food ,music ( morlam), the landscape

But I have to laugh when the cons include lack of critical thinking- it seems to me a lot of Thai ladies have demonstrated superior critical thinking over their Western partners when they've come to solely possess the house, land and car bought by their tilaks.

Mine are the same as the majority, ie pros: the people, family, weather, the food ,music ( morlam), the landscape

But I have to laugh when the cons include lack of critical thinking- it seems to me a lot of Thai ladies have demonstrated superior critical thinking over their Western partners when they've come to solely possess the house, land and car bought by their tilaks.

A great example of why you can't generalize about a nationality. Does the average Thai 18 year old grade school dropout farm girl have more critical thinking skills than the average expat from .............? Sure she does.

Pros:

inexpensive cost of living

Thai food and other ethnic foods

work to live vs live to work attitude

Cons:

Thai driving

Degradation of environment

Lack of local infrastructure (pubic transport, nature areas, city parks and dog parks, public works, traffic mgt, clean water, public libraries, org educational events for children, etc

CB

Pros:

inexpensive cost of living

Thai food and other ethnic foods

work to live vs live to work attitude

Cons:

Thai driving

Degradation of environment

Lack of local infrastructure (pubic transport, nature areas, city parks and dog parks, public works, traffic mgt, clean water, public libraries, org educational events for children, etc

CB

I'm from America and "Thailand has a public transportation system 100% better than America. I've lived here for 10 years and never really had to drive anywhere I depend on public transportation - no problem. The environment? Co2 emissions Thailand almost nothing compared to the USA and Australia and other developed countries. Libraries have been made a thing of the past by the INTERNET. I take my dog to the beach and you can't do that in most places in the West - so there.

Lostoday,

Lets talk tangibles and specifics...

1. I have not seen a stray dog in the last six months of being in Portland OR - not one. Are you going to tell me about dog management in Thailand? Thread after thread complain about dogs, soi dogs, dog trafficking, aggressive dogs, Thai dog owners, etc I have not seen one dog owner NOT pick up after dumping (required by law -actually quite amazing compliance) and Portland is the dog capital of the USA. Please tell me how many dog owners pick up after their dog dumps that you have witnessed (if they even have an owner)?

As to movement, dogs are completely unregulated on Thai beaches. I had problems running/walking our dogs when living in the south b/c of beach soi dogs' intervention, aggressive behavior, and most importantly the lack of visible ownership...Oregon has 360 miles of gov owned shoreline that allow dogs off the leash but must be in ownership control. In all ORE parks state or city that are not part of the coast, dogs are allowed (repeat are allowed) but must be on no more than 6' leash..To my knowledge, dogs are not allowed in Thai parks in general (stated on signs but they do lack enforcement as I have experienced). Has this changed? - but then when you have soi dogs everywhere which renders any dog regulation superfluous. ORE has a fantastic "pets in the park" brochure on their website - orgonstateparks.org. Maybe you can refer the Thai website (English or Thai is fine) to me on how the gov manages dogs in parks or anywhere in Thailand for that matter....

2. Environmental degradation in Thailand. Are you seriously going to tell me that Thailand has a better env track record, structure, enforcement and management of natural resources than the USA? Help me understand what's all these huge problems of forest encroachment/disappearing wildlife, illegal wildlife trafficking and fishing to depletion that seem to be in the media on a daily basis? I am glad that these are getting attention now but my personal opinion is they are losing battles. Thai people, Thai culture Thai gov just don't value these topics enough so just lip service for the most part....very sad. We can address solid waste management/littering, hazardous/chemical waste management, soil contamination, air and water pollution. and the env regulatory world.I can adequately address it from the USA side but no experience professionally in Thailand other than living there 15 years of observations and following some of these topics thru NGOs, foundations, western gov grant assistance, etc

3. A good and effective public library system is still vital to american communities and one of the best indicators of socio-econ, wealth, educational/cognitive levels of how well or poorly communities rank against each other. Your library-internet speculative remark is grossly misguided...Good libraries are popular as ever in the US and have evolved with all the bells and whistles of technology. My guess is your world of a library narrowly defines to checking out a book or reading a newspaper? Your comment dribbles towards your own lack of experience with modern libraries when you resided in the US but could I be wrong to make that assumption?.Put it another way, more people line up for the Portland main branch every morning than the huge main Apple store a couple of blocks away and that line is more than your fingers and toes combined!...

4. Give me specifics about PT. Are you talking Bkk, CM phuket, Hat Yai or somewhere in Isaan? I wouldn't rate jumping in a taxi or mini van only to be stuck in traffic or pushing your way into a crowded sky train bursting at the seams as an ideal PT integrated system....Wouldn't it be great to have an honor-based system where a ticket isn't even checked and where the 4 or 5 PT modes of transportation are integrated, comprehensive, cost-effective, and coordinated as one effective system?

Edited by cardinalblue

Sexy Ladies and Ladyboys

Cost of Living

Laidback

No cold weather

Dislikes:

Traffic

Trash

Corruption/Scams

Very difficult to have a conversation/discussion about a serious topic, especially with non-Farangs

Edited by Magic040

Lostoday,

1. I have not seen a stray dog in the last six months of being in Portland OR - not one. Are you going to tell me about dog management in Thailand? Thread after thread complain about dogs, soi dogs, dog trafficking, aggressive dogs, Thai dog owners, etc I have not seen one dog owner NOT pick up after dumping (required by law -actually quite amazing compliance) and Portland is the dog capital of the USA. Please tell me how many dog owners pick up after their dog dumps that you have witnessed (if they even have an owner)?

As to movement, dogs are completely unregulated on Thai beaches. I had problems running/walking our dogs when living in the south b/c of beach soi dogs' intervention, aggressive behavior, and most importantly the lack of visible ownership...Oregon has 360 miles of gov owned shoreline that allow dogs off the leash but must be in ownership control. In all ORE parks state or city that are not part of the coast, dogs are allowed (repeat are allowed) but must be on no more than 6' leash..To my knowledge, dogs are not allowed in Thai parks in general (stated on signs but they do lack enforcement as I have experienced). Has this changed? - but then when you have soi dogs everywhere which renders any dog regulation superfluous. ORE has a fantastic "pets in the park" brochure on their website - orgonstateparks.org. Maybe you can refer the Thai website (English or Thai is fine) to me on how the gov manages dogs in parks or anywhere in Thailand for that matter....

2. Environmental degradation in Thailand. Are you seriously going to tell me that Thailand has a better env track record, structure, enforcement and management of natural resources than the USA? Help me understand what's all these huge problems of forest encroachment/disappearing wildlife, illegal wildlife trafficking and fishing to depletion that seem to be in the media on a daily basis? I am glad that these are getting attention now but my personal opinion is they are losing battles. Thai people, Thai culture Thai gov just don't value these topics enough so just lip service for the most part....very sad. We can address solid waste management/littering, hazardous/chemical waste management, soil contamination, air and water pollution. and the env regulatory world.I can adequately address it from the USA side but no experience professionally in Thailand other than living there 15 years of observations and following some of these topics thru NGOs, foundations, western gov grant assistance, etc

3. A good and effective public library system is still vital to american communities and one of the best indicators of socio-econ, wealth, educational/cognitive levels of how well or poorly communities rank against each other. Your library-internet speculative remark is grossly misguided...Good libraries are popular as ever in the US and have evolved with all the bells and whistles of technology. My guess is your world of a library narrowly defines to checking out a book or reading a newspaper? Your comment dribbles towards your own lack of experience with modern libraries when you resided in the US but could I be wrong to make that assumption?.Put it another way, more people line up for the Portland main branch every morning than the huge main Apple store a couple of blocks away and that line is more than your fingers and toes combined!...

4. Give me specifics about PT. Are you talking Bkk, CM phuket, Hat Yai or somewhere in Isaan? I wouldn't rate jumping in a taxi or mini van only to be stuck in traffic or pushing your way into a crowded sky train bursting at the seams as an ideal PT integrated system....Wouldn't it be great to have an honor-based system where a ticket isn't even checked and where the 4 or 5 PT modes of transportation are integrated, comprehensive, cost-effective, and coordinated as one effective system?

Library usage falls significantly as services shrink
Cities in Thailand where you don't need a car? Bangkok, CM, Pattaya, Phuket, Korat, Udan Thani, Hat yai, Khon Kaen, Surin.
Cities in USA that you don't need a car? NYC. I have lived in Chicago, Portland, Seattle, San Fran and so on...
Overall EPI score Thailand 53, Mexico 55, Brazil 53, Malaysia 59, Indonesia 44, Burma 27, Vietnam 38, Cuba 55..... High is good. Thailand ranks 78 out of 180 or so countries countries. About in the middle.
I'll give you the dog one.
Edited by lostoday

Lostoday,

Library usage falls significantly as services shrink
Cities in Thailand where you don't need a car? Bangkok, CM, Pattaya, Phuket, Korat, Udan Thani, Hat yai, Khon Kaen, Surin.
Cities in USA that you don't need a car? NYC. I have lived in Chicago, Portland, Seattle, San Fran and so on...
Overall EPI score Thailand 53, Mexico 55, Brazil 53, Malaysia 59, Indonesia 44, Burma 27, Vietnam 38, Cuba 55..... High is good. Thailand ranks 78 out of 180 or so countries countries. About in the middle.
I'll give you the dog one.

I suppose it depends on whether you consider taxis as public transport. We're lucky in Thailand that there are so many people poor enough to drive taxis for buttons. I'd rather use the public buses in New Orleans than in Bangkok. Generally, the worst thing I found about the buses in the US was the lack of passengers.

I recall the second time I was in Atlanta - I had a few hours to kill before my flight, and I had a card from a random lap-dancing club; I went to the public transit desk in the airport "How do I get here then?"

"No idea, sir"

A three minute phone call later, and she said "Take the train over there, change on to this bus at this station"

And there I was...in a lap dancing club on an industrial estate in darkest suburban Atlanta

SC