Top 3 Favorite & Top 3 Least Favorite Things About Living in Thailand

jsgatse

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean SC about a lack of passengers being a drawback to buses in the US?

Does it increase the chances of being mugged or is it the vast choices of seats available makes it hard to choose where to sit?

It makes funding difficult.

Getting back to the three and three

I enjoyed my lunches in Thailand

Being far away from head office was good

I enjoyed eating and drinking at the open air restaurants

Unfortunately they're all construction sites now, except for one where the shopping mall is now complete and open for business

The traffic doesn't seem to be getting any better out in our suburb - Mega Bangna contributes to congestion locally

Excessive drunkenness, but I suppose that's unavoidable without cutting down on alcohol intake

Yes. On you go. post a positive stereotype. Plenty of others have - mostly along the lines of stereotyping Thais as friendly and hospitable. And so far, no-one has contradicted them.

Come to that, no-one has contradicted any of the negative stereotypes either, you (and others) have just criticised the posters for expressing them.

SC

You are correct. I can't argue with negative stereotypes or the people who give them credence. A kid in the US a couple of days ago believing in negative stereotypes killed 9 black people in a church. It wasn't the gun that killed them it was the negative stereotypes.

The OP gives us negative stereotypes about Thai people and critical thinking and debate. Are all Thai people incapable of critical thinking or debate? Of course not and there exists no evidence to support that conclusion.

The OP gives us negative stereotypes about Thai people and the environment. Tons of Co2 emissions Australia 25.9, Canada 24, USA, 22, Thailand 5.

Lack of freedom of speech? Walking in the grocery store today I told a woman 40 years my junior she had a nice figure. Try that in your Western country. Freedom of speech my butt.

Do you really think adults should deal in comparing national stereotypes? Aren't you a bit older and wiser than that?

LoSToday - you are the ultimate apologist. In case you don't know that word either - the definition is: a person who defends or supports something (such as a religion, cause, or organization) that is being criticized or attacked by other people

You make it your mission to defend against other's opinions and points of view with your anecdotal quips, failure to grasp the true meaning and intent of the opinions and concepts (ie, Freedom of speech does not equate to the ability to make lecherous comments with impunity at your local Big C), and then usually wind up your tirades with personal slams against the poster.

The post was "your top 3 favorite and top 3 least favorite things" - not "state 3 indisputable facts that everyone will agree to". The intent was to solicit opinions and to hear from fellow ex-pats on their experiences on living in Thailand.

You are tiring and predictable. God speed on your quest to be the savior of Thailand.

LoSToday - you are the ultimate apologist. In case you don't know that word either - the definition is: a person who defends or supports something (such as a religion, cause, or organization) that is being criticized or attacked by other people

You make it your mission to defend against other's opinions and points of view with your anecdotal quips, failure to grasp the true meaning and intent of the opinions and concepts (ie, Freedom of speech does not equate to the ability to make lecherous comments with impunity at your local Big C), and then usually wind up your tirades with personal slams against the poster.

The post was "your top 3 favorite and top 3 least favorite things" - not "state 3 indisputable facts that everyone will agree to". The intent was to solicit opinions and to hear from fellow ex-pats on their experiences on living in Thailand.

You are tiring and predictable. God speed on your quest to be the savior of Thailand.

Thanks for the definition. Try this one; it's you. What do you call a person who attacks the poster and not the post?

Edit: You did say that telling a women she is attractive is lecherous (maybe in your country?). Perhaps you would be better served to quote the posts I have made and debate the issue or point out the occasions where I have written "tirades with personal slams against the poster."

Edited by lostoday

There are plenty of girls; there seems no end to alcohol, costs are not as high as home

The girls keep getting older, the beer keeps getting warmer, and the prices keep getting higher

Dunno about that, last Friday I was out, 3 large Chang Classic for 100bht, 20 extra for a bucket of ice.

About the cheapest I've ever seen.

You might be right about the girls though!

One out of three ain't bad.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Hmmm.....

1. My gf.

2. The wide choice of restaurants.

3. Bangkok's markets....so many things going on and fun people to meet.

And the bad hmmmm....

1. Poor pavementing.

2. ++ hate that nonsense...especially in these new beer places.

3. Pocky.

OK I was joking with the last one....but Kit Kats just aint the same.

Too many pro reasons to list. As for the 3 least favorite things, in no particular order:

-Filth. Dirty streets, trash dumped on the road, the nauseating smell of sewage and garbage piles, and the lack of overall hygiene.

-Temperature. Mostly it's far too cold in Europe and I stay indoors where it's warm. In Thailand it's mostly too hot and I stay indoors to stay cool. If God could somehow adjust the average temperature in Bangkok to around 20°-25°C that would be great.

-Prices. This sort of equalizes itself out. At 68thb a pack of cigarettes is cheap, however the price of alcohol is nearly double that of Europe.

Too many pro reasons to list. As for the 3 least favorite things, in no particular order:

-Filth. Dirty streets, trash dumped on the road, the nauseating smell of sewage and garbage piles, and the lack of overall hygiene.

-Temperature. Mostly it's far too cold in Europe and I stay indoors where it's warm. In Thailand it's mostly too hot and I stay indoors to stay cool. If God could somehow adjust the average temperature in Bangkok to around 20°-25°C that would be great.

-Prices. This sort of equalizes itself out. At 68thb a pack of cigarettes is cheap, however the price of alcohol is nearly double that of Europe.

You must live in a different Europe from me. Ask our Norwegian cousins why they drink in Denmark where its four pounds a pint or something.

Stan42,

Interesting remark about hygiene. I find Thai people hygiene to be very clean, look and dress proper while westerners seem to be sloppy, messy, poorly dress, casual, etc (projection of image has a lot to do about it)...

Now whether the dirty environment has a role on why Thais seems to gravitate towards cleanliness/physical look as just the opposite with westerners who are obsessed (rightly so) with a clean environment (air water soil) but not their personal appearance...

Not sure sure if one inversely causes or correlates to the other??? But it is fascinating.....

CB

1) thai people

2)thai food

3) thai countryside

1)farang whiners

2)farang whiners

3)farang whiners

I get fed up with people complaining about farang whiners.

I think if all three of the things that upset me most in Thailand were farang whiners, I'd probably stop going to those places I was exposed to them, and stop opening threads where I might read their comments. Unless I was a glutton for punishment

SC

1) thai people

2)thai food

3) thai countryside

1)farang whiners

2)farang whiners

3)farang whiners

I think if all three of the things that upset me most in Thailand were farang whiners, I'd probably stop going to those places I was exposed to them, and stop opening threads where I might read their comments. Unless I was a glutton for punishment

SC

When I see comments like farang whiners, I just substitute critical thinkers - Those types are just feeling the wrong part of the elephant....and don't know it!.

The most...

- TheThai people.

- The flexible laws.

- The "organized chaos".

The least...

- The farang ghettos.

- Thai Airways giving routes to budget carriers.

- ... I can't find anything else. Or maybe the farang whiners, who want Thailand to change their way. Yes, I guess that should be it.

Edited by gerry1011

The most...

- TheThai people.

- The flexible laws.

- The "organized chaos".

The least...

- The farang ghettos.

- Thai Airways giving routes to budget carriers.

- ... I can't find anything else. Or maybe the farang whiners, who want Thailand to change their way. Yes, I guess that should be it.

When I look at the enthusiasm with which the Thais have adopted the Skytrain, and how popular Mega Bangna is, I think it's the Thais that want their country to be like the West. Its the Westerners that want the Thais to stay rooted in quaint and exotic poverty, so that they can enjoy exotic and different cultures, and cheap restaurants, taxis and tarts

SC

1) thai people

2)thai food

3) thai countryside

1)farang whiners

2)farang whiners

3)farang whiners

SC

still whining I see.

My guess 80% or more of farang ex-pats are living on western dollars here....

Hard to criticize the hand that continues to feed you and spend those value drive dollars where it goes 3x further...

Is it a win-win or pure exploitation (similar to multi nationals setting up shop)?

CB

Edited by cardinalblue

Stan42,

Interesting remark about hygiene. I find Thai people hygiene to be very clean, look and dress proper while westerners seem to be sloppy, messy, poorly dress, casual, etc (projection of image has a lot to do about it)...

CB

It's very superficial,

They don't wash their hands after going to the toilet, then prepare food, not all that hygienic.

They never seem to change the sheets (if they have any) or wash the sleeping blankets, not all that hygienic.

Not to mention the hookers rarely use condoms, now that really isn't hygienic.

There's more to hygiene than wearing clothes that were fashionable 50 years ago.

Sounds like you've never lived with a (village) Thai.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Stan42,

CB

It's very superficial,

They don't wash their hands after going to the toilet, then prepare food, not all that hygienic.

They never seem to change the sheets (if they have any) or wash the sleeping blankets, not all that hygienic.

Not to mention the hookers rarely use condoms, now that really isn't hygienic.

There's more to hygiene than wearing clothes that were fashionable 50 years ago.

Sounds like you've never lived with a (village) Thai.

I have and everything you just said doesnt apply to my village. I recommend you find a new village pal

There are plenty of girls; there seems no end to alcohol, costs are not as high as home

The girls keep getting older, the beer keeps getting warmer, and the prices keep getting higher

Dunno about that, last Friday I was out, 3 large Chang Classic for 100bht, 20 extra for a bucket of ice.

About the cheapest I've ever seen.

You might be right about the girls though!

One out of three ain't bad.

I'll wager the Changs were even cheaper a few years ago. Thailand is getting more expensive, at least from my perpsective. Just returned from Cambodia: B33 draught local beers in all girle bars, B20 in local bars. B120-B260 bottles of Chilean and Spansih red and white wines. JD soda at B85 in all girlie bars. Good breads and cheeses at local prices. Prime Aussie beef and lamb at lower prices than local beef and lamb in Thailand--had a 500g prime Aussie rib eye for B400 in a restaurant in Sihanoukville. Hotels and rentals cheaper than here--of course, the infrastructure sucks, but the average local speaks better English than the Thais.

1) thai people

2)thai food

3) thai countryside

1)farang whiners

2)farang whiners

3)farang whiners

SC

still whining I see.

And dining.

What is it that particularly enamours the Thai people to you? Their lack of capital letters?

Similarly Thai food? I've never tried the various beetles and other insects on offer, but they do look quite tasty - I just worry they would have the same slightly unpleasant texture as shrimp limbs. But then, I'm a pretty conservative eater.

What are the aspects of the Thai countryside that you particularly like? I'm pretty much a city boy, but I appreciate a bit of greenery from time to time. I find that for a lot of the year, the Thai countryside seems dustily dry on the Central Plains

I'm surprised that you didn't mention Thai culture - you could've stretched to four, and pushed the limits - or combined it with one of the others. Or perhaps you see Thai culture as an aspect of its people. Or it's food. Or countryside. I love the extravagant temples and glorification of Buddha. I think ostentatious temples and religious displays highlight by contrast the poverty to which the monks are committed.

SC

1) thai people

2)thai food

3) thai countryside

1)farang whiners

2)farang whiners

3)farang whiners

SC

still whining I see.

And dining.

What is it that particularly enamours the Thai people to you? Their lack of capital letters?

Similarly Thai food? I've never tried the various beetles and other insects on offer, but they do look quite tasty - I just worry they would have the same slightly unpleasant texture as shrimp limbs. But then, I'm a pretty conservative eater.

What are the aspects of the Thai countryside that you particularly like? I'm pretty much a city boy, but I appreciate a bit of greenery from time to time. I find that for a lot of the year, the Thai countryside seems dustily dry on the Central Plains

I'm surprised that you didn't mention Thai culture - you could've stretched to four, and pushed the limits - or combined it with one of the others. Or perhaps you see Thai culture as an aspect of its people. Or it's food. Or countryside. I love the extravagant temples and glorification of Buddha. I think ostentatious temples and religious displays highlight by contrast the poverty to which the monks are committed.

SC

Touche!

1) thai people

2)thai food

3) thai countryside

1)farang whiners

2)farang whiners

3)farang whiners

SC

still whining I see.

And dining.

SC

can't seem to stop yourself can ya pal?

still whining I see.

And dining.

SC

Quite a Thai hater now are we? You don't live in Thailand do you? The thread was about three good things and three bad things but I see you have discerned the OP's real intent -hate Thai hate. Lets see what tired old negative stereotypes have you managed to dredge up: Insects, monks and Theravada Buddhism.

AJD:

1) thai people

2)thai food

3) thai countryside

1)farang whiners

2)farang whiners

3)farang whiners

Endquote

SC

SC

Endquote

still whining I see.

And dining.

SC

I was really hoping for something a bit more positive. Perhaps a commendation that the insects were very tasty, so that I might be encouraged to overcome my trepidation and try them. Or a suggestion for some other Thai dish that you particularly enjoy.

Perhaps a recommendation for some area of the country that is a bit more lush. Or somewhere that is easy to travel in the rainy season.

I've no objection to the glorification of God, we've all done it in the past, and it generates some of the most spectacular architecture in any country.

It just seems like no-one else on this thread is actually putting any thought into their answers, or trying to be helpful in any way, just carping at the other posters. I suppose, carry on, if that's what you enjoy. But since you were complaining about the thread in the first place, it just seems like you're a glutton for punishment and enjoy whining.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

AJD:

1) thai people

2)thai food

3) thai countryside

1)farang whiners

2)farang whiners

3)farang whiners

Endquote

SC

SC

Endquote

still whining I see.

And dining.

SC

I was really hoping for something a bit more positive. Perhaps a commendation that the insects were very tasty, so that I might be encouraged to overcome my trepidation and try them. Or a suggestion for some other Thai dish that you particularly enjoy.

Perhaps a recommendation for some area of the country that is a bit more lush. Or somewhere that is easy to travel in the rainy season.

I've no objection to the glorification of God, we've all done it in the past, and it generates some of the most spectacular architecture in any country.

It just seems like no-one else on this thread is actually putting any thought into their answers, or trying to be helpful in any way, just carping at the other posters. I suppose, carry on, if that's what you enjoy. But since you were complaining about the thread in the first place, it just seems like you're a glutton for punishment and enjoy whining.

SC

the OP asked a question, I answered. I realize you know almost nothing about thailand and need advice but I don't like to encourage your type to stay any longer than necessary

AJD:

1) thai people

2)thai food

3) thai countryside

1)farang whiners

2)farang whiners

3)farang whiners

Endquote

SC

SC

Endquote

AJD:

still whining I see.

Endquote

SC:

And dining.

SC

Endquote

AJD:

SC:

SC

Endquote

AJD:

the OP asked a question, I answered. I realize you know almost nothing about thailand and need advice but I don't like to encourage your type to stay any longer than necessary

Endquote

My type? Salarymen?

I like the convenience of a relatively low income, low mobility economy , with all my daily needs available at reassonable cost within short walking distance.

The school my children attend is outstanding.

The fruit and veg in the supermarkets is generally great.

I'm surprised that so many foreigners here are so rude about and to their fellows.

I get fed up with businesses that don't put their name and address in Thai script on their business cards - it often makes it difficult to get there by taxi.

Shoddy workmanship - particularly protruding nails and sharp corners.

I've tried not to speculate on reasons why things are the way that they are, though sometimes when you understand the reasons, they become easier to accept and less upsetting.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

still whining I see.

And dining.

SC

Quite a Thai hater now are we? You don't live in Thailand do you? The thread was about three good things and three bad things but I see you have discerned the OP's real intent -hate Thai hate. Lets see what tired old negative stereotypes have you managed to dredge up: Insects, monks and Theravada Buddhism.

My real intent is "hate Thai hate"?! Despite not making any grammatical sense, your analysis is way off. I listed my top 3 things I liked and the top 3 things I didn't like.

I don't like that the current government puts dissenting journalists in jail - do you??? Does that mean that I "hate Thai hate"? No, it means I don't like that people aren't given the freedom to voice their opinions on "controversial matters"

If I said I don't like that a Chinese guy just threw trash in my front yard, does that mean that I "hate Chinese hate"?

Either you are so blinded by your inferiority complex or you are just a bully who thinks by shouting louder you win...either way, it's "sad AYADEE sad"

Edited by jsgatse

I thought he was having a go at me.

There's no point in telling someone they're behaving stupidly - firstly, they'll take it as an insult, rather than helpful cricism , and then they'll behave even worse. Secondly, if they really are stupid, then they won't understand you, while if they're not stupid, they'll see their error for themselves when contrasted beside polite discussion.

SC

My real intent is "hate Thai hate"?! Despite not making any grammatical sense, your analysis is way off. I listed my top 3 things I liked and the top 3 things I didn't like.

I don't like that the current government puts dissenting journalists in jail - do you??? Does that mean that I "hate Thai hate"? No, it means I don't like that people aren't given the freedom to voice their opinions on "controversial matters"

If I said I don't like that a Chinese guy just threw trash in my front yard, does that mean that I "hate Chinese hate"?

Either you are so blinded by your inferiority complex or you are just a bully who thinks by shouting louder you win...either way, it's "sad AYADEE sad"

You wrote, "Lack of critical thinking & debating skills , Lack of respect for the environment, Lack of freedom of speech"
Those are three generic complaints that could be applied to any of 100 different countries that I can think of.
Do you really not know what it means when a person does that sort of thing?
Your topic was just an invitation to belittle Thailand. In reply other posters like SC jumped on the bandwagon and listed three also common negative stereotypes, insect eating, Monks and Theravada Buddhism.
It would be like me saying I don't like ------ because they don't bath, have bad teeth, terrible food and complain about everything!
Now do you see what I mean? Worthless negative stereotypes that don't need to be repeated on Thai Visa for the 10,000th time.

You wrote, "Lack of critical thinking & debating skills , Lack of respect for the environment, Lack of freedom of speech"

Those are three generic complaints that could be applied to any of 100 different countries that I can think of.

Do you really not know what it means when a person does that sort of thing?

Your topic was just an invitation to belittle Thailand. In reply other posters like SC jumped on the bandwagon and listed three also common negative stereotypes, insect eating, Monks and Theravada Buddhism.

It would be like me saying I don't like ------ because they don't bath, have bad teeth, terrible food and complain about everything!

Now do you see what I mean? Worthless negative stereotypes that don't need to be repeated on Thai Visa for the 10,000th time.

I never noted the insects, or Buddhism, as negatives. I commended the glorification of God at the expense of personal wealth, and queried whether the insects were particularly tasty.

I think Thailand's Lese Majeste laws are an unusual tool available here to suppress free speech, but I have never found that to be a problem - notwithstanding the opportunity for someone to seek a particularly perverse interpretation to suppress some discussion of the Phillips' family rugby allegiances. I think the slightly unusual libel laws are more of a hazard to most of us.

You're right, though - sticking out nails and in appropriately located street furniture are not unique to Thailand - but I find them more common here than in my own country, or many other countries I have visited.

Thailand may not be the worst, though. I have never visited a scrap yard as untidy as our site in Mumbai. But being "not the worst" doesn't make Thailand perfect, and unlike the Crown, the nation is not beyond criticism

SC