83 year-old Thai mother stabs son to death

Thaivisa News

If is highly probable that the woman is a manipulative mother who tried to control the activities of her grown son. She may have waited in fury for him to return from an activity, drinking, that she disagreed with, and despatched him when he was vulnerable. Now this may not be true. The point is that people on this site invariably react according to their own prejudice. As some more sane individuals have pointed out, a full and proper investigation should be enacted before the woman is allowed bail or the authorities decline to press charges. I actually put my faith in the Thai justice system whilst admitting that justice systems the world over all have their flaws.

"An 83-year-old mother stabbed her son to death in an apparent self-defense after her 53-year-old drunk son was about to beat her like in the past, police said."

You wrote:-

"If is highly probable that the woman is a manipulative mother who tried to control the activities of her grown son. She may have waited in fury for him to return from an activity, drinking, that she disagreed with, and despatched him when he was vulnerable. Now this may not be true."

I agree, it may not be true.

The fact is that the son had a track record of abusing his mother physically. This time she defended herself and he is no longer a threat. At 83 years of age she deserves a lot of sympathy and is apparently receiving it.

I have yet to read an RIP for the parasite of a son she bore and dispatched.

I hope the rest of her life is lived peacefully.

"Police said.... like in the past" - was that from prior knowledge, or are they repeating what she told them?

Edited by halloween

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If is highly probable that the woman is a manipulative mother who tried to control the activities of her grown son. She may have waited in fury for him to return from an activity, drinking, that she disagreed with, and despatched him when he was vulnerable. Now this may not be true. The point is that people on this site invariably react according to their own prejudice. As some more sane individuals have pointed out, a full and proper investigation should be enacted before the woman is allowed bail or the authorities decline to press charges. I actually put my faith in the Thai justice system whilst admitting that justice systems the world over all have their flaws.

"An 83-year-old mother stabbed her son to death in an apparent self-defense after her 53-year-old drunk son was about to beat her like in the past, police said."

You wrote:-

"If is highly probable that the woman is a manipulative mother who tried to control the activities of her grown son. She may have waited in fury for him to return from an activity, drinking, that she disagreed with, and despatched him when he was vulnerable. Now this may not be true."

I agree, it may not be true.

The fact is that the son had a track record of abusing his mother physically. This time she defended herself and he is no longer a threat. At 83 years of age she deserves a lot of sympathy and is apparently receiving it.

I have yet to read an RIP for the parasite of a son she bore and dispatched.

I hope the rest of her life is lived peacefully.

"Police said.... like in the past" - was that from prior knowledge, or are they repeating what she told them?

Your guess is as good as mine, but it is likely that her troubles with her son were already well known to her family, neighbors or friends.

Well done old lady. Sadly, you have lost a son, but will now be able to rest in peace as he will no longer come home pissed up and ready to beat on you. Another one bites the dust..

Oh, and prayers all round.wai.gif

Do you really believe you can have it both ways ratcatcher ? First the harsh words and then prayers. Bite the dust, oh, and prayers. Ridiculous.

Well done old lady. Sadly, you have lost a son, but will now be able to rest in peace as he will no longer come home pissed up and ready to beat on you. Another one bites the dust..

Oh, and prayers all round.wai.gif

Do you really believe you can have it both ways ratcatcher ? First the harsh words and then prayers. Bite the dust, oh, and prayers. Ridiculous.

You obviously don't "do" irony. I was facetiously referring to post #7 by Yunla, who prays a lot. Good for him.

Cheers all round.

A previous post asked a very pertinent question "I wonder why she sleeps with a foot long knife beside her?" I wonder too as even in Thailand I don't imagine it is "normal" for an 83 years old lady to do that.

Without jumping to conclusion before all the facts are known, if it turns out the old lady has in fact been previously abused by her son then he got what he deserved. I am not saying it is acceptable in all cases to use deadly force, but an elderly woman facing up to her drunken son has every right to defend herself in whatever way she can. I don't doubt that she shall suffer a mixture of grief and guilt over this tragedy, but at least she shall be able to enjoy the time she has left in relative safety and peace.

I will say RIP as it must be a tortured soul that can abuse his own mother, his demise may indeed be deserved but hopefully he is in a better place now.

Commiserations, condolences and a happy life to the old lady...

Your guess is as good as mine, but it is likely that her troubles with her son were already well known to her family, neighbors or friends.

Correct, that's why they have an investigation.

Proof beyond all doubt, that it is much wiser for parents to boot the children out of the house at age 18.

Or, in some cases I have seen slippery, like in my wife's family village in Surin, age 8. whistling.gif

Candidate for mother of the year. I was a teacher back when and I recall some mothers telling their boys when they got in trouble "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out of it".

Can't see how your past is relevant to this case!

Certainly not the first caustic bit.

They are investigating. Probably it will be self defense, often seen drunk Thai men hitting female family.

does anyone really think an 83 year old woman is an equal match for a 53 year old man? Come on if you think that you need a very large dose of reality. She feared for her life and did the only thing she could. Tragic end yes and she will no doubt feel the grief of doing it to her son for the rest of her life but I dont believe she had much choice other than probably die by his hand.

Now, that is about the most idiotic post I have read for years!

Edited by MockingJay

Good for her! and this does seem like a very clear cut case of self defense so no prosecution should be brought.

Good for her? You jump to conclusions quickly.

I think a court case with proper legal procedures will allow an appropriate verdict on this case. NOT a TVF article.

It reminds me of the TVF Koh Tao sleuths. Wrapping up a murder case on internet news evidence.

She may well be guilty of murder.

Good for her! and this does seem like a very clear cut case of self defense so no prosecution should be brought.

I think a court case with proper legal procedures will allow an appropriate verdict on this case. NOT a TVF article.

It reminds me of the TVF Koh Tao sleuths. Wrapping up a murder case on internet news evidence.

Guilty/not guilty... Either way this is always the saddest event when families break down and death is the result. The bond that should never be broken but it's happening too often in too many places.

While I'm happy she survived defending herself. 'Good for her' isn't something that should be used to describe the situation. She did after all have to kill her own son. I'm sure she's gonna feel like crap for the rest of her life.

...she may be regretting she didn't do this years ago...

Guilty/not guilty... Either way this is always the saddest event when families break down and death is the result. The bond that should never be broken but it's happening too often in too many places.

WOW. With that empathetic view you are well on your way to being a 15 principle of democracy supporter.

Well done and congrats.

Typical thainess treat the boys like gods, no discipline, they have no respect for anybody

just like another certain people, where the boys are Princes and the girls slaves in the kitchen, when they are not raped by their fathers, Brothers and uncles ...

Mockingjay,

Thanks for your in-depth analysis of my post in which I was suggesting an alternative scenario. Sorry that you found it idiotic. But then of course Evans was guilty of course and Derek Bentley and so many others. I mean Christie was a part time policeman so how could he have done it. And how in the world could an 83 year old dear commit a grisly crime. How old was Ma Baker? I wish lack of imagination was a crime...then we could prosecute you!

clap2.gifcheesy.gif Sorry could not help it.

But also, before blaming the dead son..... we never God the chance to hear his side of the story about what lead to his ruin and then drinking bouts and hatred for his mother. A lot of thai parents especially the rural folks...have very little love for their children and only look upon them for non-stop finacial support in their old age when they could not even provide their kids with a decent education in the first place. Then there could reasons like over controlling, etc....or even the Normam Bate's Mother syndrome as in the movie by Afred Hitchcock..."Psycho"

She will get away with it , he was very abusive against her while drunk , she had enough , police and the judge knows , if that happens in the west , judgement would be different .

Really? So you have an intimate knowledge of he case then? Or is it guess work?

No court case required here then?

Democracy can take a back bench in this case over logical thinking then?

She might be released on bail later depending on judgment of the investigators in charge of the case, the police chief added.

Spare me days! In a earlier report we have a guy, carrying a gun, out on bail for the murder of a 15 yo. Yet to consider no bail for this 83 yo just goes to show what a joke the Thai justice system is!

If her parents can vouch for her she will get bail.

My Wifes elder Sister has 2 sons, one a good kid in the Navy works hard, saves money and has bought my Wifes hometown land off her, the other one is a useless idle lazy bum who threatens his Mother whenever she wants to do something he doesnt like, there are too many of these little shits in Thailand and they all need this woman to take care of them, quite simply they are SCUM and why the good Thais tolerate them is beyond me.

Understood, and I do not tolerate it either.... The word lazy does come into mind, while the ones that want to get ahead, I am happy to help..... Been there/done that!thumbsup.gif

While I'm happy she survived defending herself. 'Good for her' isn't something that should be used to describe the situation. She did after all have to kill her own son. I'm sure she's gonna feel like crap for the rest of her life.

I sincerely hope she feels relief she does not have to experience another beating. . . .