Working In Laos

roderick17

Greetings All

I think I am about to offered a job in Laos - the money won't be great it, but Vientiene will be a change of lifestyle for me. The only problem is that I haven't lived in this part of the world before so I'm not sure what to expect.

The most important thing for me is to find whether there is a nightlife scene there or not. If Vientiene is a sleepy provincial type place, what do the expats do during their free time ??

Does anyone here have any experience about living in Lao

Roderick

There isn't a bustling nightlife for sure, but it is there. The official places close rather early, whereas a few inofficial places stay open longer. It won't take you long to explore the options you have.

The place is rather sleepy, no question about it. But I have always had good, seriously relaxing times in Vientiane.

Never worked there though so I couldn't tell you what it's like.

Greetings All

I think I am about to offered a job in Laos - the money won't be great it, but Vientiene will be a change of lifestyle for me. The only problem is that I haven't lived in this part of the world before so I'm not sure what to expect.

The most important thing for me is to find whether there is a nightlife scene there or not. If Vientiene is a sleepy provincial type place, what do the expats do during their free time ??

Does anyone here have any experience about living in Lao

Roderick

Four Hours away from Vientiane is a place called "little khaosan in Laos." You can buy happy shakes, happy pizzas, so on and so forth! Of course, it's bustling with night life as well!

Edited by GracelessFawn

Depending on your idea of nightlife, this could be a potential wet blanket. From http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_946.html

The Lao Government prohibits sexual contact between foreign citizens and Lao nationals except when the two parties have been married in accordance with Lao Family Law. Any foreigner who enters into a sexual relationship with a Lao national may be interrogated, detained, arrested, or jailed. Lao police have confiscated passports and imposed fines of up to $5000 on foreigners who enter into disapproved sexual relationships. The Lao party to the relationship may also be jailed without trial. Foreigners are not permitted to invite Lao nationals of the opposite sex to their hotel rooms; police may raid hotel rooms without notice or consent.

Depending on your idea of nightlife, this could be a potential wet blanket. From http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_946.html

The Lao Government prohibits sexual contact between foreign citizens and Lao nationals except when the two parties have been married in accordance with Lao Family Law. Any foreigner who enters into a sexual relationship with a Lao national may be interrogated, detained, arrested, or jailed. Lao police have confiscated passports and imposed fines of up to $5000 on foreigners who enter into disapproved sexual relationships. The Lao party to the relationship may also be jailed without trial. Foreigners are not permitted to invite Lao nationals of the opposite sex to their hotel rooms; police may raid hotel rooms without notice or consent.

I have been visiting Laos since 1991 and have never had a big problem with this regulation. My guess is that if one lived there. it would be even easier to ignore. :o

Man that sucks big time! Tourism is definately at the back of the queue there!

I think the ruling authorities should check out Orson Wells - 1984.

Cause it seems alive and well in Laos.