Home security cameras

beechbum

Can anyone recommend a company they've dealt with?

Was thinking of an P2P IP setup but also wondering how good a wireless set may be, does it use a large amount of bandwidth?

Any answers much appreciated,

Cheers

Edited by beechbum

I would not use a wireless set-up.

To much problems and not reliable.

Better to invest one time in installing cables for your cameras.

Also i use a digital recorder (with 12 cameras in and around my house) connected to my network so i have access to the system worldwide.

One of the best investments i did.

Also i use a digital recorder (with 12 cameras in and around my house) connected to my network so i have access to the system worldwide.

I have a similar system in our US home except it is wireless. We have not experienced any problems.

I will echo the sentiments concerning how well it works. It gives us some security when we are half the world away in our Thailand home.

I would agree with above. Wireless cameras use far too much bandwidth and if you plan to also use your internet connection for browsing then expect problem. Might work with a single camera depending on your connection speeds. A few years back I tried a single wifi camera and ended up ditching it and bought a wired up CCTV system. Perhaps technology is better now ?

Edited by LivinginKata

I would agree with above. Wireless cameras use far too much bandwidth and if you plan to also use your internet connection for browsing then expect problem. Might work with a single camera depending on your connection speeds. A few years back I tried a single wifi camera and ended up ditching it and bought a wired up CCTV system. Perhaps technology is better now ?

We're wanting to use HD cameras so have since found out that's it's better to get them hard wired (better speed) rather than wireless for such a set up.

All IP based so we can view 24/7 on the smartphone/comp and tablets.

Thank for all the reply's so far, much appreciated.

Edited by beechbum

I'm not sure how the home security camera systems are actually implemented, but it would be logical that those use home network.

The images are captured by the camera and then delivered either via Wifi or wired ethernet to the home server and stored there. This does not consume outgoing internet bandwidth, only the home network bandwidth. 150Mbps Wifi can deliver about 50Mbps data. 100Mbps can deliver maybe 70Mbps data. Both should be enough for home security system.

But in the case of watching the video stream from outside the home network, the stream is using the slow internet uplink. For example the best I can get with my TOT ADLS is about 400Kbps or 0.4Mbps. This is the bottleneck, which is limits how much data can be pushed to the internet and therefore viewed from outside.

No quite correct.

The cameras are hired wire linked to the digital recorder. (the home network is not used for the camera's)

Only WIFI cameras are using the home WIFI system, but as per expert advise (and first hand experience) this is not recommended as it is not reliable or user friendly.

The recorder will be connect to the home network via a lan cable.

I use 3BB viber and ADSL and both have no problems with uploading the images but if you only have 0.4 Mbd upload you can have problems and i would look around for another provider.

Thanks. I assume that in that case, the images/stream is delivered with coaxial cables to the digital recorder, which have ability to decode and record the images. It would require point-to-point cables from each camera to the recording unit.

That is however not a IP-based system. In a way it does not matter, while OP wanted All IP-based system, he actually only wanted to be able to monitor the stream from outside of home, if I understood correctly.

All IP would use either Wifi or ethernet to connect the cameras to the recording unit. This could be systems private network, or it could use the existing home infrastructure.

For me, TOT is all I got, not other providers available in this area. The positive side is, that I'm becoming an expert how to minimise the network traffic towards to the Internet smile.png

Edited by Guest

Thanks. I assume that in that case, the images/stream is delivered with coaxial cables to the digital recorder, which have ability to decode and record the images. It would require point-to-point cables from each camera to the recording unit.

That is however not a IP-based system. In a way it does not matter, while OP wanted All IP-based system, he actually only wanted to be able to monitor the stream from outside of home, if I understood correctly.

All IP would use either Wifi or ethernet to connect the cameras to the recording unit. This could be systems private network, or it could use the existing home infrastructure.

For me, TOT is all I got, not other providers available in this area. The positive side is, that I'm becoming an expert how to minimise the network traffic towards to the Internet smile.png

My system is indeed not a camera IP addressed but hard wired, With the modern cameras you don't need a coaxial cables but normal cables with combined power supply.

Only my digital recorder is IP based as it is connected to my LAN network.

Depending of the system you can control all the cameras from anywhere and watch history footage.

My system is indeed not a camera IP addressed but hard wired, With the modern cameras you don't need a coaxial cables but normal cables with combined power supply.

Only my digital recorder is IP based as it is connected to my LAN network.

Depending of the system you can control all the cameras from anywhere and watch history footage.

Out of the curiosity, does the system send snapshots to an external server every now and then?

That would be essential, in case the thiefs would take the recording box with them, when they leave.

This is one of my pet idea projects, to create fail proof security system, with several nodes having ability to send out the data, before and after the central recording unit is destroyed.

Question - can you view your videos and live feeds via the Internet on your smart phone or iPad when out and about or perhaps out of the country? That is what is important to me.

Yes i can select which camera i want to watch live stream or any history time from anywhere in the world.

I have special app on my iphone and ipad to do the same. ( this app can record and takes pictures from any camera )

Edited by merijn