Hiding ones broken broke tax owing divorced disgrace behind a love for THailand and hate home

Smurkster

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Forty baht, smurkster, forty baht.

attachicon.gifDSCN6643.JPG

been there, done that...I'm not going to crap my pants in excitement over a 40 baht bowl of Koy-tio with muu daeng or however you want to render in English...I don't mind paying money for good food and instant mama noodles and some funky broth with "Stewed mystery avian creature" just isn't going to take the place of fresh caught New England flounder....being able to trace where my food comes from is a lot more important....

you get exactly what you pay for and for me a half assed bowl of noodles ain't cutting it...

sorry if this post comes across as douche baggy, I know it does but #sorrynotsorry

I'm really just having fun with a little irony as I enjoy the last piece of daylight here just in Rhode Island...

Edited by Smurkster

been there, done that...I'm not going to crap my pants in excitement over a 40 baht bowl of Koy-tio with muu daeng or however you want to render in English...I don't mind paying money for good food and instant mama noodles and some funky broth with "Stewed mystery avian creature" just isn't going to take the place of fresh caught New England flounder....being able to trace where my food comes from is a lot more important....

you get exactly what you pay for and for me a half assed bowl of noodles ain't cutting it...

sorry if this post comes across as douche baggy, I know it does but #sorrynotsorry

I'm really just having fun with a little irony as I enjoy the last piece of daylight here just in Rhode Island...

After 5 years in Thailand, the closest you can come to phonetically reproducing the Thai word for noodles is 'Koy-tio'? That's pretty pathetic, especially for someone who was teaching ESL over here.

You're maligning a dish which is revered all over the world as a culinary masterpiece, so stop pretending you're some culinary snob. Those aren't "instant mama noodles", there's no "stewed mystery avian creature" or "funky broth" in the photo I sent, and the last time I checked, Thai restaurants were pretty popular in America.

Edited by Gecko123

If my decision as to where to live was largely based upon food availabilities, I would probably be back in the USA. But it isn't.

yes, but in fairness its only one small part of the equation..

After 5 years in Thailand, the closest you can come to phonetically reproducing the Thai word for noodles is 'Koy-tio'? That's pretty pathetic, especially for someone who was teaching ESL over here.

You're maligning a dish which is revered all over the world as a culinary masterpiece, so stop pretending you're some culinary snob. Those aren't "instant mama noodles", there's no "stewed mystery avian creature" or "funky broth" in the photo I sent, and the last time I checked, Thai restaurants were pretty popular in America.

what do you want me to do? try and reproduce it in a different way..."Gway Tio" "Kuay Dio" "Khwai Diaw"....your attempt at romanization is as good as mine...? Please I'm all ears

and it doesn't really change the fact that what people are really revering now with the noodle trend in the United States is not Thai noodles per se but based on Japanese Ramen....yes Thai restaurants are pretty popular in America, but the food served in Thai restaurants is a pretty far cry from that served in restaurants in Thailand...

and no....the ramen bars in LA and NYC don't count as Thai food...

Edited by Smurkster

If my decision as to where to live was largely based upon food availabilities, I would probably be back in the USA. But it isn't.

When I moved to Thailand, I was in my 50's and had already been working/traveling in Asia for over 10 years. I had a disposition that I did not have in my 20's that has served me well here. Also, I made extended visits to Thailand before moving wherein I worked unofficially for a Thai Foundation under Royal Patronage because I had a US Government Certified skill they needed.

I also spoke reasonable Thai and Chinese before moving full-time. So -- at least for me -- those were some of the other parts of the equation. Plus, in the USA, I was bored; not bored here.

When I moved to Thailand, I was in my 50's and had already been working/traveling in Asia for over 10 years. I had a disposition that I did not have in my 20's that has served me well here. Also, I made extended visits to Thailand before moving wherein I worked unofficially for a Thai Foundation under Royal Patronage because I had a US Government Certified skill they needed.

I also spoke reasonable Thai and Chinese before moving full-time. So -- at least for me -- those were some of the other parts of the equation. Plus, in the USA, I was bored; not bored here.

I actually always enjoy your posts, because you have something of interest to say and for others to read...at least I think so

I think its very cool that you got a grasp on Thai language before you moved here...there aren't enough people who understand how much better everything is when you have at least a basic idea of the language spoken where one lives...

one thing I have always been proud of ( has been my ability to speak Lao/Isan to a pretty decent level...(with a more elementary understanding of Thai)...it was always fun to learn a new word everyday

Edited by Smurkster

OK. But when I go back to USA for about 3 weeks each year or so -- mostly Florida -- everyone knows I will eat rib-eye steak and Mexican food for almost every meal plus a steamed Maine lobster or 2.