Cycling Accidents

CNXBKKMAN

i had a bad accident on 12th february and broke my wrist, on this tuesday i got back on the bikeand did 40 klms yesterday i managed 45 klms but i seem to have lost my nerve and its made me very nervous im 74 years old and im thinking about changing my road bike for one with wider tyres so i can ride closer to the verge,before the accident i was'nt scared at all and reguarly did 120 klms 5 days a week now i just dont feel safe.

I don't think a bike with wider tyres is going to make much difference, you certainly shouldn't ride closer to the verge, as that is where all the crap is and you'll just end up with more punctures regardless of how big/wide the tyres are.

You probably just need to build yourself up slowly to regain your confidence and get used to how the traffic behaves again.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldnt find that mangled snake photo? I often have wondered what i would do if when descending off road i swoop down some path and i surprise a cobra or massive python! Hopefully if it went to strike me it would go for the bike frame? Getting caught up in the front wheel and flying over the handlebars wont be fun.

My theoretical strategy for this situation is to pull the front wheel up and roll over the snake and hope it doesnt connect with my leg. So far lots of snakes have been seen but they have all darted off.

Sweet dreams!

attachicon.gifdownhill snake 1.jpgattachicon.gifdownhill snake 2.jpgattachicon.gifdownhill snake 3.jpg

Puma, Any damage to your brake rotor?

Btw, may I ask where you have your suspension serviced?

I couldnt find that mangled snake photo? I often have wondered what i would do if when descending off road i swoop down some path and i surprise a cobra or massive python! Hopefully if it went to strike me it would go for the bike frame? Getting caught up in the front wheel and flying over the handlebars wont be fun.

My theoretical strategy for this situation is to pull the front wheel up and roll over the snake and hope it doesnt connect with my leg. So far lots of snakes have been seen but they have all darted off.

Sweet dreams!

attachicon.gifdownhill snake 1.jpgattachicon.gifdownhill snake 2.jpgattachicon.gifdownhill snake 3.jpg

Puma, Any damage to your brake rotor?

Btw, may I ask where you have your suspension serviced?

Thankfully, not my bike, not my life, but a photo from Vietnam. Here in Chiang Mai, we have a few shops for Fox service. I have used TCA, and I know others have used other shops.

I'm not very good at posting vids from my dashcam ,perhaps it's an area thing ,but the Thai Cyclists show no respect ,riding 3abreast then 4 on a breakaway ,clearly racing in the evening traffic.Being an avid Ex Rider , I'm disappointed...so would You be if I could post all the vids.

I'm not very good at posting vids from my dashcam ,perhaps it's an area thing ,but the Thai Cyclists show no respect ,riding 3abreast then 4 on a breakaway ,clearly racing in the evening traffic.Being an avid Ex Rider , I'm disappointed...so would You be if I could post all the vids.

They're entitled to a full lane width, same as every other vehicle on the road.

Change lanes and overtake properly.

Maybe take a driving test.

. Well , You won't last long with that aggressive attitude. Being right doesn't help much in Hospital. Are you inferring road racing is acceptable. Read my post again.. I am a Biker.

. Well , You won't last long with that aggressive attitude. Being right doesn't help much in Hospital. Are you inferring road racing is acceptable. Read my post again.. I am a Biker.

From the video ...... Rule 163 in the highway code "Give cyclists at least as much space as a car when overtaking"

From the video ...... Rule 163 in the highway code "Give cyclists at least as much space as a car when overtaking"

That doesn't mean the cyclist needs the whole lane, though - it just means maintaining the same clearance as you would allow a car.

Personally, I prefer to allow more clearance for cyclists and motorbikes due to their vulnerability and unpredictability.

SC

That doesn't mean the cyclist needs the whole lane, though - it just means maintaining the same clearance as you would allow a car.

Personally, I prefer to allow more clearance for cyclists and motorbikes due to their vulnerability and unpredictability.

SC

I'd like to note one thing that annoys me somewhat - motorcycles riding on the lane dividing lines when they don't need to. Effectively they are occupying two lanes, if you want to pass them safely, because the lanes are not wide enough that you can pass them (allowing a good clearance) while remaining entirely within either of the lanes adjacent to them.

The An other thing that annoys me is motorcycles zipping through slow moving or stationary traffic and sounding their horn when cars try to change lane. "Give way to what's in front!" - surely that's the first rule of survival on a motorcycle?

When you're cycling, we should think carefully about our position in the lane, and where we intend and expect people to pass us. It's difficult to estimate the speed of a narrow vehicle like a bike or a motorbike (and it's distance) so drivers may well drive according to stereotypes or assumptions, so if we are riding significantly faster than your average cyclist, we should be prepared for drivers cutting across you or pulling out in front.

I try to make a point of acknowledging any politeness (even if it was no more than the law required), to try and improve the image of cyclists and make people feel good about being courteous to a cyclist

SC

SC

All age groups use the roads ,those idiots were out again last night. but as with Boy Racers in Cars ,they don't care if they get the majority a bad name.. say anything and they flip the bird at you..Ah well ,stay safe....as an a aside ,my first road bike was A Falcon San Remo ,made in England.Pride n Joy back then..[emoji605]

Archived