4-year old girl quarantined in Chaiyaphum hospital under suspicion of contracting MERS

webfact

4-year old girl quarantined in Chaiyaphum hospital under suspicion of contracting MERS

23-6-2558-16-36-45-wpcf_728x411.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A four-year old girl who returned from South Korea on June 9 with her mother has been quaranteened at Chaiyaphum provincial hospital for observation after she developed symptoms suspected to be caused by MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndromes).

The girl was sent to Kaeng Kraw district hospital on June 19 by her parents after she had a fever, coughed with a running nose and developed coarse voice. Doctors at the hospital later decided to have her sent to the provincial hospital after finding out that her symptoms match those caused by MERS.

Doctors at Chaiyaphum provincial hospital said that the girl would have to be kept in quarantine for 15 days under close observation to determine whether she was infected with MERS or not.

However, the doctors pleaded with people in the province not to be panic and that they would be informed about the progress of the case on regular basis.

Meanwhile, management of Airport Link has taken precaution in coping with MERS by equipping its staff with face masks and disinfectant.

Disinfectant is available for passengers at all ticket booths in all stations. Passenger cabins and hand rails have also been scrubbed with alcohol or disinfectant to ensure cleanliness.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/4-year-old-girl-quarantined-in-chaiyaphum-hospital-under-suspicion-of-contracting-mers

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-23

The US CDC statement that MERS is not easily spread between Humans conflicts a bit with what happened in S. Korea. I know it was mostly hospital staff and patients, but I can help to think that the MERS may be more easily spread than the CDC thinks. I mean according the definition "not easily spread" someone has to cough right into your mouth multiple times while you are vigorously and deeply inhaling. That does not really seem to be the case in S.Korea spread of the decease.

Just yesterday they said definitely no more MERS cases. I remember thinking as i read it, " I wonder what tomorrows news will bring. Honestly. These "official" people make press releases & comments that they cannot possibly be certain of. It is not a question of "what were they thinking". They must have known that such a statement was impossible to make with any certainty...... but said it anyway!!

I hope they also follow-up on this with the airline/flight concerned on which "mother & child" returned to Thailand from South Korea....

as this means there are other "at risk patients" walking freely around Thailand to spread the infection!