Looking to buy a Tiger Retro (with Sidecar)

kekalot

I have been back in Thailand for a while and was looking for something to be able to travel with my dog

at first, I planned on buying one of those mini trucks (suzuki carry, daihatsu hijet, etc) but apparently they are quite a bit more expensive than I expected or otherwise sold without the registrations (that will not do)

so now, I am looking to buy a Tiger Retro (with Sidecar) which as far as I am aware, is the only street legal motorbike with a sidecar.

I know this is most likely far fetched but if anyone could steer me in the correct direction or has one for sale, I would be interested.

Unfortunately, Tiger closed down some time ago, but with a bit of 'luck' you'll be able to find one on the second hand market. Be warned though, quite a few owners reported several problems, including electrical faults, loose screws, sub standard paint work and brakes.

On the bright side, if you get stranded on the side of the road, at least you'll have your dog to keep you company. :-)

I don't think Tiger is in business anymore? Ah I can see OmegaRacer confirmed that.

I had this rig some years ago for app 2 years and I can tell you it was the worst piece of shit bike I ever owned.

The front drum brake was useless, it was so bad that I could push the rig (empty) with fully pulled front brake!!

That left the drum rear brake as main stopper which was okayish when riding alone since you can lock the rear wheel up without crashing. When riding with my wife in the sidecar, I really had to plan/read the traffic ahead because I knew I could not stop fast (scary in downtown Pattaya traffic).

There was always something wrong electrically, this and this was not working properly, a pain in the butt.

One time there was something wrong with the carburetor and the <deleted> thing would start briefly and then die, had to get a local mechanic to my house and he took the carb off and came back and fitted it next day.

The fuel tank is very small and was once overflowed at a petrol station and the paint under the seat and below got brown and I could not polish it away.

OP unless you like to tinker with bikes and live out in the sticks, stay away from the Tiger Retro, far far away.

I have seen in Pattaya on south Pattaya road in the huge Mition shop on the corner on 3rd road they have 2 pcs new Honda Clicks with a sidecar fitted for sale. They looks nice but I don't know if they are legal?

well that's a shame, I read other threads where people were saying they didn't have much problems with them.. "back then" obviously.

the honda clicks are not legal, bike has to be registered as 3 wheels can not be modified after

odd of the Kaidee one, I was on there before and saw the other brown ones but did not click on the green button.. it's sadly overpriced, they were sold 49,000 baht new in 2009 and well..

I was half expecting more of the 25,000 - 35,000 range if that.. but with the negative comments I received earlier then maybe it's not such a good idea.

of course I could modify an old bike and make a sidecar or one of those contraptions they call sidecar that motorbikes have around but yeah, i'm not too keen on getting stopped by the police.

I assume it would be fine locally but, I am not interested in traveling locally with my dog.

the Kei trucks (Hijets) on Kaidee/OLX were always in the 120,000 range but they were "no registration, cash only" deals and I was told the price doubled for registered.. which is kind of out of my "budget"

I thought 120,000 was reasonable for a 17 year old truck.. but.. 240,000 baht for a truck I would only use for moving locations maybe twice a year, if that? nope.

bummer.

Edited by kekalot

Lateral thinking. What about fabbing a NARROW small trailer with suspension and a ball hitch? I've seen a few ball hitches on bikes here. Work OK. You could use a bigger bike. Make the trailer well, and you could safely go faster than a 110 could. Less dangerous to be less wide, and in my opinion, less dangerous to go a little fast and be passed by less cars and trucks.

Look, I found the perfect bike for you:

Yamaha Spark 115 with sidecar, new, with 3 wheeled registration, only 74k.

http://www.kaidee.com/product-102262603

You're welcome. ;-)

I don't care what they say, as that's a modded Yamaha Spark with a Tiger Future 110cc sidecar.. so unless there were some kind of fudging around with registrations it's not legal.

how do I know? I was offered a new Tiger Future 110 with that exact sidecar yesterday for 50,000 baht.

the only way those bikes can be legal is when they were first registered as 3 wheeled from the company that makes them (in this case Yamaha) and I am sure that is not the case as this is a Tiger sidecar mounted on it.

look at the facebook link on that page, you will eventually find your way to the overpriced other one (that one is legal) and a bunch of weird ones too.

even their profile picture is a Tiger Future with that exact same sidecar.

post-180179-0-98261200-1435203458_thumb.

I really like those Urals, but at 800-900k...wow.

Didn't Stallion have some models with sidecar? I think I saw them at a past Motorshow.

They are not cheap now in the UK either, starting prices around £12k.

Here, done the work for you....

This one's even new...

http://www.kaidee.com/product-4582695

That is pretty. I don't think 65k is excessive. You'd pay that for just the chair/outfit in the UK. Hugely underpowered though. Where's a Panther when you need one?

yeah, that one looks better than the pink one I was offered. lol

I wish I could just put one of those sidecars to my Honda Wave and be done with

from the way they done it on the Yamaha Spark it looks fairly simple, a little bit of metalwork/welding for the anchors and voila.

I would probably be fine locally with those but.. I'm not buying it to go to 7eleven, it would be to take quite literally across Thailand and the cops are a little less lenient in some parts of the country, sadly.

For sale now:
แลกw650สักคันครับเปิดราคาไว้160,000บาท
Mitsuoka bubu 501 3ล้อ 50cc.
รถสวยสภาพดีให้98%ครับรถผมปั้นเองกับมือคันนี้

thumbsup.gif

post-159090-0-36366100-1435248397_thumb.

post-159090-0-31498800-1435248402_thumb.

post-159090-0-49110700-1435248408_thumb.

post-159090-0-45976400-1435248413_thumb.

Haha, I've never seen that car before.

A few months ago saw a Daihatsu Midget II like this with plates parked at a Homepro.

It actually had seating for 2 up front and looked narrower than a golf cart.

It's too bad Thais don't care about practicality because I think these midget cars make good sense in BKK.

Seeing one person drive a 4 door sedan alone seems silly.

It would be cool if Daihatsu and Smart cars were officially sold here but I guess the demand isn't there.

Daihatsu_Midget_II_Cargo_001.JPG

Edited by ttakata