One Month Service with data (and wifi?)

Drew345

I used to always keep a truemove sim card active as I visited Thailand twice a year. But I haven't been for 2 years so my SIM will be dead now.

I will be in Thailand for a month this time, and need a SIM with about 2 GB of data and about 20 hours of wifi would be nice too. I don't need to keep the number, so use and toss will be fine.

Should I just go into a 7/11 and get a SIM? Are SIMs and plans like that available? Thanks for any advice as I would like to land and get this sorted as soon as possible.

Thanks

Drew

Hi Drew,

True may have a bigger wifi network, but AIS just added 802.11ac wifi hotspots called AIS Super Wifi. 3x faster than 802.11n and better for your battery. If you find you're in an area with AIS wifi, this could be a great choice if you have an 802.11ac device. You'll need an AIS 3G data plan costing over 500 Baht to get the wifi free.

Some people on this board have noted that 7/11 have stopped carrying SIM cards.

They are still available at many mobile retailers, but be prepared to supply your Passport info to comply with the new mandatory registration requirement (yes, even tourists).

Prepaid (Pay As You Go) SIMs are still available and Internet, WiFi or Internet/WiFi combo subscriptions are available either in-shop or on-device utilizing a USSD dial code so long as you have topped up the mobile account with sufficient funds.

If your phone supports 2100 MHz Band then you should be good with most any Thai mobile carrier (AIS, DTAC, TrueMove-H or TOT 3G) and the appropriate APN info for accessing the network.

If you pick up a TrueMove-H SIM, 7/11 may still be offering a TrueMove-H 'pegboard' promotion: 30-day 3GB 399 THB promotion running.

Landing%20page%20content%20card%20990%20

TrueMove H might be the best option; they really have the best 3G/4G coverage, and the most "seamless" (and most APs) WiFi.

For 399/month (~ 430 baht with VAT) you can get 3 GB ( double the 1.5 GB as a promotion), FuP is 128 Kbps, unlimited WiFi. I think it's called "Double Area"?

Subscription code is *900*1339# Send, or subscribe on-line (assumes you have a SIM and enough balance).

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/topping/3g_internet_package.html

Some people on this board have noted that 7/11 have stopped carrying SIM cards.

7/11 is owned by CPall, part of the CP conglomerate, TrueMove is also owned by CP. Doubt that they'd stop sell TrueMove H SIMs? Maybe Norwegian or Singaporean SIMs?

Edited by bamnutsak

7/11 is owned by CPall, part of the CP conglomerate, TrueMove is also owned by CP. Doubt that they'd stop sell TrueMove H SIMs? Maybe Norwegian or Singaporean SIMs?

Yes, the 7-11's near me still do sell TRUE products including boxed phone packages and Internet promotion scratch cards. Not sure about individual SIM's. No AIS, no DTAC. Every retailer I've seen in the past month requires a passport (or copy) for SIM registration; no more vendors selling SIM's on footbridges.

I assume the OP will be coming thru one of the airports and both DMK & BKK have kiosks in Arrivals representing all the providers selling one month Tourist SIM data/calling packages in the B299 range.

Every retailer I've seen in the past month requires a passport (or copy) for SIM registration; no more vendors selling SIM's on footbridges.

I assume the OP will be coming thru one of the airports and both DMK & BKK have kiosks in Arrivals representing all the providers selling one month Tourist SIM data/calling packages in the B299 range.

I was in MBK a few minutes ago; hundreds of retailers selling thousands of SIMs, same for Seacon yesterday. No ID required; no registration requirement until 1 August. Not sure how equipped they are to take, enter/pass on registration details?

TrueMove H's current Tourist SIM doesn't really meet the OPs requirement; it's good for seven (7) days. They could add value, and then subscribe to another plan but maybe simpler to get a 49 baht SIM?

Edited by bamnutsak

DTAC and AIS both have a promo going for their monthly package for the first 2 or 3 months, you get double or triple the 3G data.

For example: With AIS 12Call, for 427 Baht/ month (incl VAT) you get first 3 months with 3GB of 3G and free AIS wifi. (After 3 months it drops to 1GB per month, but hey, just cancel)

Here's the easy way to get set up:

1. You need an AIS 12Call sim (can be a tourist SIM)
  2. Press *121# to check your balance. You need at least 427 Baht. ( You can get credit here )
  3. Dial this USSD code on the SIM to sign up for 3GB monthly 3G package:
    *777*992*316358# (You'll get an sms if it worked and your balance will be deducted.)
  4. Dial *338# to get your Wifi password

You can then throw that sim into a pocket wifi router or device, or tether it.

Still plenty of sims at the 7-11 and here in Chiang Mai True still hands them out for free at the airport arrival...

Here is a great deal from True for 4G - but does not include wifi... (But in my experience their wifi alway sucks)

http://truemoveh.truecorp.co.th/3g/sim-truemoveh/prepaid/entry/3340?ln=en

Edited by sfokevin