Samsung Disabling Windows Update

RichCor

Supposedly, Samsung update software is perpetually disabling Windows Update on startup on their PCs running Windows 8.1

Besides the issue of not receiving critical Microsoft Security Updates, having Windows Update disabled may prevent valid Windows 8.1 users from receiving the Windows 10 FREE upgrade offer.

Samsung Damages Their PC Community By Disabling Windows Update

TechGadgetCentral | Chris Carlson | June 25, 2015

Samsung sneakily disables Windows Update on some PCs

PCWorld | Jared Newman | Jun 24, 2015 9:52 AM

I'm speechless - what on Earth could they be hoping to achieve?

Just the usual Asian arrogance of thinking they can do it better.

Samsung has responded with the following statement: "We are aware of Mr. Barker’s claim regarding Windows 8.1 updates on our computers. We take security concerns very seriously and we are working with Microsoft to address this matter.”

Sorry, may have unnecessarily worried some users with this topic.

This issue probably wouldn't affect anyone here

...as the majority of Asian country Windows installs have Windows Update disabled when installed before the PC comes to you. whistling.gif

Seems like another overblown alarm raised by a single blogger (!).

How easy it is these days to create a global headline.

What is for sure:

Windows update is never deactivated by this "tool" but just set to "manual" (where you decide what updates to install or not).

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2940497/microsoft-windows/samsung-acknowledges-it-changes-windows-update-settings-on-its-pcs.html

What seems still unclear:

Why is this program not found on all Samsung PCs/notebooks?

How does it get there?

Even Samsung doesn't seem to know yet tongue.png

I guess it will take another day or so until the fog will lift.

Should I mention that I have selected this "let me decide" setting for years?

Should I mention that I have understood that Windows X will not allow this anymore? (forced updates).

Edited by KhunBENQ

I did a google search for something more in-depth from a legitimate technical news source

... only to find tons of news-sites regurgitating the original story with a different 'Everybody Panic'/'Get Angry' headline.

Luckily, in order to be affected, a Samsung Windows PC user would have to have downloaded and run a Samsung SWUpdate from Samsung's support website.

The SWUpdate installs and run a proggy named: "Disable_Windowsupdate.exe".

According to other tech articles, users could still start and stop Windows Update manually, even set the service run option, though the automatic service would get disabled again with every reboot.

According to a VentureBeat article:

As far as we can tell, the installer is made to work with computers running Windows XP and higher, and across various language settings. It’s not clear on how many Samsung computers SW Update has downloaded and activated Disable_Windowsupdate.exe (it doesn’t ship with Samsung PCs out of the box). That said, users have been complaining about this issue since at least April, so Samsung doesn’t appear to be in a rush to address it.

Though, best to check the status of your Windows Updates and see if your settings are sticking properly to your preference of automatic or manual (ask first).

Apparently it's to stop Microsoft drivers overwriting Samsung ones.....

Which MUPPET thought that one up? Hey just sod security updates too! This will also affect malware and virus definition updates....

Wipe and clean install any new laptop you get TBH, you never know what bloatware you have bought.....

Most Laptop/PC's in Thailand are not sold with Windows installed it is up to you how and what you install on the Samsung laptop. If Samsung software interferes with windows uninstall it and only use the required Samsung drivers.

Most Laptop/PC's in Thailand are not sold with Windows installed it is up to you how and what you install on the Samsung laptop. If Samsung software interferes with windows uninstall it and only use the required Samsung drivers.

A little difficult to make your proposed determination when Samsung doesn't describe what their Software Update is going to do (other than update software).

Samsung has responded with the following statement: "We are aware of Mr. Barker’s claim regarding Windows 8.1 updates on our computers. We take security concerns very seriously and we are working with Microsoft to address this matter.”

no the driver for Win10 aren't ready....an automatic install with missing driver would be a disaster.

no the driver for Win10 aren't ready....an automatic install with missing driver would be a disaster.

Actually they are on the Lenovos and Dell I've got it on.

What I am saying is do not use the Samsung update at all. Do your own windows updates and only use the Samsung drivers. you do not need to use Samsung software update just ignore it. You do not need to know what it doing Just that it may do stupid things so do not use it.

Actually they are on the Lenovos and Dell I've got it on.

You have Samsung driver on Dell...that is strange