Buriram quarantines a couple returning from a MERS risk country

webfact

Buriram quarantines a couple returning from a MERS risk country

BURIRAM, 26 June 2015, (NNT) - The public health office in Buriram has quarantined a male and a female who returned from a MERS risk country over a week ago, despite the lack of any symptoms.

The male individual being observed is a 33-year-old Lam Plai Mat District native, and the other is a 38-year-old Chaloem Phra Kiat District woman also a native of the area. Both of them recently returned from a Middle Eastern country, the region where the deadly virus originated.

The two persons are subjected to daily physical examinations. They have not exhibited any signs of infection so far. The woman and the man will be discharged on July 4th and 5th respectively, should they remain healthy. Medical officials will however continue to monitor their health for a while after they return to their homes.

The district public health office will also dispatch officers to provide information on how they should protect themselves from the virus.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-06-26 footer_n.gif

I wonder why they don't mention the Country that was visited. Probably Korea. There must be hundreds arriving daily from 'at risk' countries, I wonder why Buriram health authorities have decided to quarantine this pair. Over reaction?

I wonder why they don't mention the Country that was visited. Probably Korea. There must be hundreds arriving daily from 'at risk' countries, I wonder why Buriram health authorities have decided to quarantine this pair. Over reaction?

Middle East, and yes why are there no details? Apprears they had no symptoms?

Not hundreds, thousands travel everyday from Middle East, Oman alone has two A330-300 full flights everyday. I have no idea about Emirates/ Etihad, which take the majority of passengers from UAE.

This story is a little loose on details.

Is there any further update on what is required to travel from gulf? Medical clearance cert? Or are they just impounding anyone with a temperature?