Married or Not?

joeyjojo

How can you find out if someone is currently or has been married and divorced, if you only have their Name and details including DOB and Thai ID etc. Finding out conclusively without necessarily taking someone's word for it is the goal here.

No idea. But those records are kept at the amphur and in a national data base that each amphur can access. That is not 100% proof though, as mariages and divorces from a long time ago might not have been entered in the database.

Not sure if an amphur will give that information.

My Ex tried to get money from me for divorce costs in Thailand,I went to the Amphur where we married and NO divorce.

A little tea money after the fact,to show my appreciation.

If I am not entirely incorrect there's a prefix added to the title on women's ID-cards when they're married. This prefix is not removed when the woman is divorced.

Could be wrong but I recall something about this...

in my country, in the certificate of birth document, there is a section empty titled [Observation], if any registred marriages, divorces records will be printed in the lower part of the birth certificate, this certificate is valid only for 3 months since issueing date in case requested by any authority, etc,

leave the official records aside.. what about the facts that happened in real life without register the marriage?

I am married, having 2 kids and legally registred under my name as father, they are at school,

but in fact, there is no any marriage record,

in this event, myself and the mom of my kids we are both still singles in the govt official records,

hope my shared story will help you some,

I think you may simply be out of luck.

There are many Thai marriages which are not officially recognized, they may not need a divorce unless some common-law application can be made.

Unless you know the amphur where the official marriage occured, you may also be out of luck because they may not have recorded the divorce, if any.

The National Data Base is most likely not up to date or all inclusive, but is certainly worth a shot.

This is just hearsay information. A friend of mine lost track of his "wife" and tried to find similar information on previous marriages and divorces--he had no luck.

Perhaps a private investigator could uncover something.

They do have private investigators here, and PIs generally have access to data that most of us find difficult to come across. Although I've never used one, I'd suggest finding one here in Thailand. Perhaps one of the legal services could point you in the right direction. I've know a number of Thai women who have seduced farang men while either having a Thai boyfriend or husband. They don't seem to see any moral dilemma in that. I do. Best of luck.

If I am not entirely incorrect there's a prefix added to the title on women's ID-cards when they're married. This prefix is not removed when the woman is divorced.

My wife just confirmed this. Thai issued ID cards prefix Miss or Mrs in front of a women's name (and right off the top of my head, I don't know the Thai characters for 'Miss' or 'Mrs'). So, get your girl-friend's Thai ID, check the date on it to make sure it's reasonably current (this is year 2558 on the Thai calendar - do the math), and check the prefix. Not a perfect solution, but a start. It won't tell you that she has a live-in boyfriend who is the father of her children. Marriage is not always 'formalize' here in Thailand as it is in the West. So that leads back to hiring a private investigator. That's probably your best bet if your serious about this gal, but you need to make sure. I don't blame you, I would too.

Edited by connda

If you need to ask that question keep walking. No trust now, it is not going to build.

I have to disagree with you on that. I mentioned that many Thai women have absolutely no problem with 'lying' about their marital status or whether they have a Thai boyfriend, and they see no moral dilemma in lying, even if they are a devout Buddhist. I know women like this personally here in Thailand. They have kids and family to take care of, and sometime a low-life boyfriend or husband. If the OP met his girl-friend in places like Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, or Chiang Mai, I think he is only being conservatively caution, not paranoid. But that is my own opinion based on my own experiences here in Thailand. If he can vet that his girl-friend is the real deal, he may have a keeper.

If you are referring to the "Miss" vs "Mrs" it is optional and on par with a name change. I had to get some legal translations and one of them was specifically for the change from Miss to Mrs.

You first need to establish if she was married via an Amphur (legally recognised) or Village (not legally married).

Only the local Amphur can confirm if she was legally married and if she is legally divorced.

Expats on extensions based on marriage have to supply their marriage certificate and a Kor Ror 2 as part of the application.

The Kor Ror 2 is available from the Amphur (20 baht) and basically confirms since marriage there is no record of divorce.

A sneaky trick might be to ask the Amphur for a Kor Ror 2 on her behalf (using her ID details). They should either tell you they have no record of marriage, or she is divorced and therefore cannot issue a Kor Ror 2.

If they do issue a Kor Ror 2, it's cost you 20 baht and you have the proof she is married and hasn't divorced.

Edited by Faz

You first need to establish if she was married via an Amphur (legally recognised) or Village (not legally married).

Only the local Amphur can confirm if she was legally married and if she is legally divorced.

Expats on extensions based on marriage have to supply their marriage certificate and a Kor Ror 2 as part of the application.

The Kor Ror 2 is available from the Amphur (20 baht) and basically confirms since marriage there is no record of divorce.

A sneaky trick might be to ask the Amphur for a Kor Ror 2 on her behalf (using her ID details). They should either tell you they have no record of marriage, or she is divorced and therefore cannot issue a Kor Ror 2.

If they do issue a Kor Ror 2, it's cost you 20 baht and you have the proof she is married and hasn't divorced.

Actually, that a good idea, and one that might easily work without any questions asked.

My wife just confirmed this. Thai issued ID cards prefix Miss or Mrs in front of a women's name (and right off the top of my head, I don't know the Thai characters for 'Miss' or 'Mrs'). So, get your girl-friend's Thai ID, check the date on it to make sure it's reasonably current (this is year 2558 on the Thai calendar - do the math), and check the prefix. Not a perfect solution, but a start. It won't tell you that she has a live-in boyfriend who is the father of her children. Marriage is not always 'formalize' here in Thailand as it is in the West. So that leads back to hiring a private investigator. That's probably your best bet if your serious about this gal, but you need to make sure. I don't blame you, I would too.

That was so in the past. Nowadays a woman can choose which prefix she uses on her ID-card. A woman can still continue to be noted as miss when she gets married.

All you have to do is get a lawer to access the database for you. It is all online at the amphur and they can give you a copy of her marriage certiificate in moments. Not that expensive either if you use the right one.

A woman can choose to keep the NangSao or Mrs after marriage so it will not necessarily become Nang or Ms.

Many Thais are also not legally married, just have the ceremony at home, no legal meaning, but for the family this is the wedding with a meaning.

You go along to any Amphur office.

Ask for a Core Sore song (KS2), and pay 30bht.

You will need a photocopy of the ID of one of the married couple (or a passport if a foreigner).

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Not sure this helps.

For my Thai wife's K1 Fiancee' VISA application.

+ She had been married many years ago. No record of marriage.

+ So, of course, no record of divorce.

+ She flew to Homeland (Nong Khai).

+ With her Mother, they went to local admin office, and secured a

document saying she was legally "Single". Her Mother was like a "witness" or something.

We have it in both English & Thai.

So for the USA Embassy, she was a "Single" woman.

My Ex tried to get money from me for divorce costs in Thailand,I went to the Amphur where we married and NO divorce.

This makes no sense at all. It's like you rolled a cue ball on your keyboard.

This makes no sense at all. It's like you rolled a cue ball on your keyboard.

and rolled the dice on the lady

Ask them. If you don't trust them to honestly answer such a simple question, why would you have anything to do with them?

Because if I have learned anything on thai visa, it that most divorced men who come to Thailand are so terrified of living alone they take the first woman who shows them any kindness, real or feigned, straight up the altar.

No idea. But those records are kept at the amphur and in a national data base that each amphur can access. That is not 100% proof though, as mariages and divorces from a long time ago might not have been entered in the database.

Not sure if an amphur will give that information.

Be aware that Thai women revert to their maiden family name when divorced, so the surname on the ID card should be the same as the surname on the birth certificate if divorced or unmarried.

Be aware that Thai women revert to their maiden family name when divorced, so the surname on the ID card should be the same as the surname on the birth certificate if divorced or unmarried.

Married women can use their family name or husbands surname on their ID card.

They can also be designated as Miss or Mrs. up to them.

There is no information on marital status to be gleaned from a Thai ladies ID card.