Types of Clading

chiangrai

I will be clading a house soon which will have concrete posts.

I'm trying to decide which type of clading to use but first

I need to know what the choices are.

My builder says Smartwood(fiber cement) is cheapest to buy,fastest to install

and lasts the longest.The trouble is it looks like what it is......fake wood.

So I was looking at plyboard,I had a peice of the heaviest quality available in

the city 3/4 inch and left it out in the rain and 2 pocket holes came between the

layers as if they were airholes,ie,the board was not solid.Maai Yaang they call it,but the shop was full of different types of 8 by 4 sheets I just didn't know which would work outside.

So does any one know what other choices there are in Thailand for out door clading that isn't Fiber cement.

Much obliged.

I don't know that I understand that question.......it has nothing but concreate posts the clading

is going to be the outer wall.

Anybody know a cheaper more natural solution than Smartwood.Some kind of plywood that is solid and will take some few years outside if painted well.

I don't know that I understand that question.......it has nothing but concreate posts the clading

Anybody know a cheaper more natural solution than Smartwood.Some kind of plywood that is solid and will take some few years outside if painted well.

Ahhhh OK. You can actually get the cement fibreboard in sheets in different thickness. And they can be cement screed and painted.

I take it this is a shed or something similar, not a living accommodation.

Real wood that's not going to get eaten in no time will be $$$.

Some choices:-

• Rendered cinderblock wall (or Superblock)
  • Rendered brick wall
  • Metal framing with plain cement board (can be rendered if you don't want it to look like a prefab https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefabs_in_the_UK )
  • Metal framing with SheraWood (cement wood)
  • Metal framing with the plastic wood mentioned by Morakot

We have quite a lot of Shera board along with real teak, the Shera looks just fine from a distance.

it has nothing but concreate posts the clading

If this is not just a shed but a proper dwelling, you should consider rendered brick walls that you can clad as you see fit.

Just using some kind of panels will not result in a very sound and secure living environment.

If rendered brick walls are not really an option, use gypsum boards for the inside as a second layer in addition to Shera wood on the outside.

Using the artificial wood I suggested above will cost more then a properly rendered brick wall.

shera-plank.jpg

Edited by Morakot

it has nothing but concreate posts the clading

If this is not just a shed but a proper dwelling, you should consider rendered brig walls that you can clad as you see fit.

Just using some kind of panels will not result in a very sound and secure living environment.

If you insulate it will be OK. But then the cost and hassle go up.

Maybe consider isowall. http://www.thaiisowall.com/isowall-architectural.php

Here are a few brochures I picked up at the building expo a few months ago. Just pictures with contact details.

I really liked the speedwall. And suntech insulated roof

Tbk was really light aireated concrete blocks.

Inno block was a block system that DIDN'T require posts it was load bearing, you do pour concrete down the holes in the blocks.

P wood had different types of woodboard you could possibly get marine ply from them.

Edited by casualbiker

Be a little careful if you select Plywood sheets....The glue used is not up to taking the weather. Even used inside it will delaminate after a year or so.

there is really no TRUE Marine grade Plwood sold in Thailand using EPOXY glues...To check, the colour of the glue that is waterproof is usually a deep reddish colour, and the outer laminates are usually from a hardwood....If its waterproof...

There is nothing wrong with using the Smartwood that comes primed, as long as it's painted both sides to keep out the moisture...

If it's not completely sealed it will have a mould problem after the first wet season.....

can anyone recommend material that looks like wood to do a ceiling in? We had an extension done but the builders messed up the ceiling, they used shera 4 inch wide wood that had no bevel and which was too thin, so the edges do not all line up and it looks more like a shed than cladding. They also filled the screw holes with so much filler they look like rivets. So want to redo it with something better than shera wood.

can anyone recommend material that looks like wood to do a ceiling in? We had an extension done but the builders messed up the ceiling, they used shera 4 inch wide wood that had no bevel and which was too thin, so the edges do not all line up and it looks more like a shed than cladding. They also filled the screw holes with so much filler they look like rivets. So want to redo it with something better than shera wood.

Done properly Shera is as good as, if not better than real wood.

Our soffits are Shera, about 2" wide with bevelled edges, they were attached to the metal frame with an air nailer, no sign of the holes. Get a different crew in to do it properly this time.

if your looking for decent plywood, for this application, you need to find marine ply, but it ain't cheap either

Thanks for the feed bsck guys but I'm not sold

on the fake wood.It may look convincing but it just

doesn't feel right.

But you are confirming what my builder has told me.Fakewood is cheaper

to by,faster to install and lasts forever and that there is no marine

ply in Thailand or if there is it's too expensive.

The only other solution is the cheap bamboo clading that you see on

cheap bungalows(and I'm building a cheap bungalow).Paint it with

antifunguside paint and change it every

year and a half untill you've saved up eneough money for real wood.

I have only seen it done by aplying insectaside with a paint brush

and then varnish I'm hopeing that the antifunguside paint will

be easier and it's not that bad a solution if you know that you will only

have to change it twive before you can afford real wood.

Any ideas on techniques for this.I would also be woried about attracting

turmires into the house.

more money

If you're going to do that then just use the outdoor Viva board and screed it. That would probably cost about the same and last a lot longer. Once coated it will look like any other block/ screed building. Then later on strip it off and put your wood on.. Or even better just put the wood over the top.

http://www.viva.co.th/en/model_used_detail.php?App_ID=25

Edited by casualbiker