Regulated medication

ryro88

Hello folks I have an uncle going to visit Thailand/Pattaya for a few months and he wanted to know if his regulated medication can be obtained if needed from a Thai doctors or Chemist if he was to produce his passport and and old box of the meds with his name and dosage on it. Helpful answers only please.

Edited by ryro88

Some items obtained abroad as controlled are actually sold over the counter here, others you will need to see a Dr and in some cases that Dr will have to be at a Hospital. Without knowing the drug no one here can comment.

I am not scare mongering nor do I have personal experience but I have been lead to believe that "local" pharmacies can be the source of "fake/copycat drugs". What I do know for a fact is that some WILL supply drugs that are illegal for over the shelf here in Thailand.

Edited to add: May I suggest that you ask for this to be moved to the Medical Forum as there are some helthcare professionals there as opposed to some of us who are armchair experts.

Edited by RabC

As a starting point, it might help if you stated the name of the medicine first, to see if it's available in Thailand.

yes without knowing which medication it is pointless.

Many yes

Some no

I have taken a range of medications for over 20 years ,all are available over the counter at Farscino, i only use main dealers never those small ones ,i am not saying that they sell fakes ,but better safe than sorry. as has been mentioned numerous times WHAT DRUGS?

As above. Other than narcotics, tranquilizers and steroids, most drugs can be bought here without prescription.

If the meds in question are narcotics then it is a whole other matter and there is also papereork required to bring it in with you. So please specify.

Hello guys sorry for the late reply the prescriptions in question are Temazepam & diazepam. He will refuse to get them off a street vendor only a doctor. Hopefully the question can be answered now.

Edited by ryro88

These are strictly controlled drugs in Thailand and can only be obtained from a hospital pharmacy on prescription, and Thai doctors tend to be gun shy about prescribing large quantities. In addition, temazepam is not widely used and not all hospitals will have it (for sleep they seem to prefer midazolam).

Having a doctor's note stating they have been prescribed and why, along with prescription bottles to show, may help but no gauarnatee he will easily get this here. Will probably do best at an uposcale expensive private hospital like Bangkok Pattaya, and will need to see a psychiatrist there and show his records.

In addition he needs to have a special permit to legally bring it in with him when he comes, see this link for the procedure:

http://narcotic.fda.moph.go.th/faq/upload/guidance%20for%20travelers%20version%205._e956.pdf (Temazepam is category 2, Diazepam is category 4)

Thanks for the info. He's aware that these are controlled drug in most countries as he has been around quite a bit but this is the first time in Thailand. He has the bottles with the prescription,doseage and name on the front, this has usually been sufficient in most countries but I will tell him to get a letter from the doctor too if possible because he flys out on Wednesday. Thanks for the informative reply.

He doesn't need to go to a private hospital. He can go to a government hospital. It's also possible to get diazapam at reputable doctors private clinics. I got three months supply from my cardiologist at his clinic.