Motorcycles: Selling Back to Dealer

aTomsLife

I'm curious if anyone has ever sold a motorcycle back to the dealer, or a used-bike shop in Chiang Mai. I need to sell my bike, but would prefer to keep it up till a day or two before I leave CM.

Can anyone recommend a shop that might purchase for a decent price? Specifically, anyone ever try this with Nat Motors? I would like to know what to expect before I go down there in order prevent getting ripped off, as well as to manage my expectations.

For what it's worth, the bike is a 2014 Honda Wave, 110i semi-auto, year old with a little over 3k kilometers on the odometer.

Edited by aTomsLife

Post it for free on ThaiVisa classifieds,or BhatSold, good

motor bikes at a sensible price seem to sell quickly,and

you will get much more than selling to dealer.if you still

need a bike you could hire one,and still be better off,

money wise.

regards worgeordie

Why not go and ask now while there is still plenty of time ?

Yes, thanks Captain Obvious.

But before driving around town, going from shop to shop, I posted the OP to get an idea of what to expect, to see if it was worth my time. Doesn't seem like it is.

Still, if anyone has had the experience, I'm curious what kind of prices they were offered.

If it helps I was looking to trade a 2014 Mio 125. Pristine condition with 10,000 k on the clock for a 2015 bike that sells for 65,000 baht. Dealer wanted to give 13,000 baht for a bike that sold new for 45,000 baht. I don't think a dealer will be the answer, but you never know.

Based on my experience and that of the other poster. It looks like 1/3 of the new cost of the bike new from a dealer and that's on an a bike less than a year old. I am guessing you could get 1/2 to 2/3 of the new cost on the private market. The Honda Wave is a very popular bike here, so that may help. Look for a foreign buyer though, most Thais don't want to buy second hand.

Tried to sell my Click back to the dealer, he wouldn't even make an offer as he had 'too many bikes' already.

I got most calls through Bathsold ...don't wait till the last minute and take any reasonable offer instead squeezing out the last 3k Baht or so.

You will get a terrible price unless your planning to upgrade which I don't think you are, best thing to do is go to a small shop or back street guy,,,the dealer will jut rip you off,,,,

With the 3000 km, dealers will probably be asking 35K baht. However, they will probably only offer 15K baht for it.

You can advertise on Thai Visa Classifieds, bahtsold or the Rimping noticeboard. It should go quickly at a price of 25K baht.

As previously posted, plenty of places hiring out scooters for 2500 baht/month, usually 2000 baht security deposit.

Be careful if someone wants a test drive - some people out there take "drive away, no more to pay" literally.

Why not go and ask now while there is still plenty of time ?

Yes, thanks Captain Obvious.

But before driving around town, going from shop to shop, I posted the OP to get an idea of what to expect, to see if it was worth my time. Doesn't seem like it is.

Still, if anyone has had the experience, I'm curious what kind of prices they were offered.

Nothing positive to add - though I think wordgeordie's advice was spot on.

My own experience, buying and selling a Honda PCX was pretty bad. First I had agreed to a price, without the junk helmet and jacket, with the proprietor and then her son jacked the price back up, saying I had to pay for the mandatory extra theft insurance for farangs, though the basic insurance was covered by Honda.

When I was looking to sell it, about 15 months later - I didn't know about bahtbuy and did not know anyone with the cash to buy it from me - I made an agreement with the proprietor for an adequate price. Then when I brought the bike in, her son lowered the buying price: he said the real shocks that I had installed and the sissy bar with carrier made it worth less to Thais, who wanted everything stock.

So the bike cost me around Bt78,000, plus a few thou' for necessary additions, and I sold it back for Bt35,000. i.e. < 1/2 price.

That was Chiang Mai Gate Motors, South of Chiang Mai Gate in Chiang Mai.

Good luck to you

Personally,

I donated my motorcycle, It was a Honda 125 Wave. Pristeen, and bought it on a whim, when I was there. Gave it to my nephew, who wanted it so bad he could taste it!

But he did earn it, it was kind of a show me what you got, show me how you do in school. He was top of his class, got a scholarship, in many areas. So when the wifey decided that it couldn't worked out, she asked me about the motorcycle, and I simply replied, give it to my nephew, Pawn. I guess there can be rewards in life, and this young man deserved it! JMO wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

One of the best investments, I ever made in Thailand!

Personally,

I donated my motorcycle, It was a Honda 125 Wave. Pristeen, and bought it on a whim, when I was there. Gave it to my nephew, who wanted it so bad he could taste it!

But he did earn it, it was kind of a show me what you got, show me how you do in school. He was top of his class, got a scholarship, in many areas. So when the wifey decided that it couldn't worked out, she asked me about the motorcycle, and I simply replied, give it to my nephew, Pawn. I guess there can be rewards in life, and this young man deserved it! JMO wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

One of the best investments, I ever made in Thailand!

Shame he couldn't legally drive it until he was 17.

i sold my 4 y old dream with 40 000k on the clock that was originally 40 k bt back to the dealer,near airport where the flyover comes down on mahidol rd.

anyway they gave me 30 000bt cash,which i then used to buy a new one.but i could have also walked out with the money.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

I wound up listing it on bahtsold, as well as two facebook groups.

The bike was easily worth 30k, but I listed it for 28k for a quick sale. Lots of people looking for a steal, offering 20k. Turned them down flat.

Sold today for 26k, buyer from bahtsold. A little cheaper than I wanted, but at the end of the day it was a question of $120 to be rid of the thing.

It's all good. thumbsup.gif

Thanks again, Thaivisa.