Using SCB ATM card abroad

Hi there

I have to go to Bangladesh for 3 months. I have a savings a/c with SCB bank and popped in to ask if I could use my SCB card in the ATM's there, the lady looked a bit confused and then said ok.

I really got the impression she had no idea, could anyone confirm that Thai ATM cards work abroad please?

Cheers

Stu

yes they work, but inform the bank (SCB) officially what your doing otherwise they may end up blocking it...

SCB blocked my CC oversea's one time, no phone call to check, and I had to call them and they said but the card have been used oversea's !!!!rolleyes.gif

My response "guess where I am Sherlock ?"

Had used SCB card at ATM, Singapore before. The prompt appears account types - Current or Saving. I choose the current account because I am using the current SCB account. As the result of this, it won't work. This problem is resolved quickly by choosing another account type - Saving. And it works! So no harm to try both options.

yes they work, but inform the bank (SCB) officially what your doing otherwise they may end up blocking it...

SCB blocked my CC oversea's one time, no phone call to check, and I had to call them and they said but the card have been used oversea's !!!!rolleyes.gif

They were only looking after your interests....should be thanked for that.

They were only looking after your interests....should be thanked for that.

I understand that but here is my problem with what happened

1. Card is "unblocked" for international usage"

2. I get an SMS on my phone every time the card is used, Stating if there is an issue with this transaction call SCB BKK 02----

3. Typically if there is a questionable transaction on the card they call me to check

4. My Thai mobile phone is unbarred internationally

5. In this instance got the SMS for the transaction at the time of transaction

If there multiple transactions in quick succession on the card i.e. it looked like someone trying to "burn" the limit on the card, could have understood what they did, but it was a single transaction and not even close to the card limit.

Had used SCB card at ATM, Singapore before. The prompt appears account types - Current or Saving. I choose the current account because I am using the current SCB account. As the result of this, it won't work. This problem is resolved quickly by choosing another account type - Saving. And it works! So no harm to try both options.

Do you actually have a current account? Most accounts opened by foreigners are actually savings accounts but are used like we would use a current account in the west.

Also the OP presumably has a Visa or MasterCard ATM - and not just a plain ATM which would not work.

Yes I have used my previous Hip Card from SCB in a Barclays ATM in the UK. I was absolutely staggered it worked. I only tried it to see if it would work. They charged 100 Baht for Card use overseas. I cant remember the rate applied but it was very good I recall