N2 in tyres

MZurf

Yes, it's an absolute must ... but you must go to a garage who will fill and empty your tyres at least once ... getting nearly 100% N2 is vitally important.

Many threads on this topic.B-Quik probably still have their 100thb for 6 months fill and check as many times as you like ..my tyres never seem to need any adjustment

A certain V8 lover is going to be thrilled to read this thread...

Hang on just a Minute Richard, My Chum T.A rushes about with a Gauge,That records something worth knowing . unlike your Cams that under-insured.and weak folk need need... P.S. ive just bought one out of boredom,to prove how worthless the are. Ill scream round with a ting on a Mo Cy Hat to show how clever i am. Then join You being pedantic,may i say a perfect Dick, in good fun mate.gigglem.gifthumbsup.gif

A certain V8 lover is going to be thrilled to read this thread...

Hang on just a Minute Richard, My Chum T.A rushes about with a Gauge,That records something worth knowing . unlike your Cams that under-insured.and weak folk need need... P.S. ive just bought one out of boredom,to prove how worthless the are. Ill scream round with a ting on a Mo Cy Hat to show how clever i am. Then join You being pedantic,may i say a perfect Dick, in good fun mate.gigglem.gifthumbsup.gif

Touché....

Although, the day time heat and consequent increase in day time tyre pressure as a result of expansion of air in the regular air-filled tires and resultant reduction in grip increases the risk of accidents. It has been necessary to have the Dash-Cam installed....

... Now with N2 and greater consistency of tyre pressures there is less risk of accidents... then perhaps we could retire our dash-cams... tongue.png

Yes, it's an absolute must ... but you must go to a garage who will fill and empty your tyres at least once ... getting nearly 100% N2 is vitally important.

Many threads on this topic.B-Quik probably still have their 100thb for 6 months fill and check as many times as you like ..my tyres never seem to need any adjustment

Also get better tire life and fuel mileage.

This has been dealt with before.

It does no good whatsoever for road use......it's just a con. air is 79% nitrogen anyway.

The increase in Nitrogen reduces moisture and the risk of corrosion. The molecules are larger apparently, and this slows pressure loss as well.

There are no negative effects and no cost either (at least at the B-Quik I use) so how is it a con?

It does no good whatsoever for road use......it's just a con. air is 79% nitrogen anyway.

The increase in Nitrogen reduces moisture and the risk of corrosion. The molecules are larger apparently, and this slows pressure loss as well.

There are no negative effects and no cost either (at least at the B-Quik I use) so how is it a con?

They are making exaggerated claims - and giving it away........well just to get you through the door....

the "risks" you talk about are so minute they are simply not worth talking about.....it's just ads effective as green stamps....or a loyalty card......bigger atoms can't leak out.....reallY???

They are making exaggerated claims - and giving it away........well just to get you through the door....

the "risks" you talk about are so minute they are simply not worth talking about.....it's just ads effective as green stamps....or a loyalty card......bigger atoms can't leak out.....reallY???

Nothing to do with exaggerated claims or getting me through the door. The B-Quik is at Tesco's where I often shop a couple times a month. It is convenient to drive through on the way out and check tyre pressures and top up if needs be a few times a year.

I've even slightly over inflated and reset my self the following morning when tyres are properly cold thus probably adding to the nitrogen content of the atmosphere as well !! whistling.gif

They are making exaggerated claims - and giving it away........well just to get you through the door....Y!!

You don't seem to have much of an understanding of something do you ...The molecules are larger apparently, and this slows pressure loss as well... is different from ... bigger atoms can't leak out reallY???

Don't forget Nitrogen is heavier than Oxygen so the extra weight is likely to impinge on performance and lengthen braking distances..........

Actually Nitrogen is lighter than Oxygen

Nitrogen, however, has a slightly larger effective molecular size which means pressure loss is slower.

Also Nitrogen from a cylinder is dry. Normal air contains a lot of moisture,

Nothing to do with exaggerated claims or getting me through the door. The B-Quik is at Tesco's where I often shop a couple times a month. It is convenient to drive through on the way out and check tyre pressures and top up if needs be a few times a year.

I've even slightly over inflated and reset my self the following morning when tyres are properly cold thus probably adding to the nitrogen content of the atmosphere as well !! whistling.gif

It is convenient to drive through on the way out and check tyre pressures and top up if needs be a few times a year. - QED! yet you don't seem aware.......why do you think they are "so conveniently" located by supermarkets?

Edited by cumgranosalum

Here's what the AA- of the UK have to say about nitrogen.....and they are just being polite!

"For passenger car tyres the main claims seem to be:

• Less corrosion – because unlike air there's no moisture in pure nitrogen
  • Slower rate of pressure loss – nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules (which make up 21% of compressed air)

Air loss can occur through the inner liner of the tyre as well through the valve, punctures, or failure of the seal between tyre and wheel rim. Pure nitrogen might leak more slowly through the liner, but you would still have to check tyre condition and pressure regularly.

Corrosion of the tyre from using normal compressed air is unlikely anyway because only the outer tread band of a car tyre contains steel – the amount of moisture reaching it from the inside is minimal.

To change to nitrogen you have to have the air already in the tyres removed before the tyres are re-inflated with purified compressed nitrogen. There will be a one-off charge per tyre but once filled with nitrogen, future top-ups would have to be with nitrogen if any advantages are to be maintained.

Overall, while accepting the possibility of purified nitrogen being of benefit in certain applications, we don't think that the cost and possible inconvenience are justified for normal passenger car use."

..and here's the address of the RACQ (Queensland, AU) and they are even more (politely) scathing about the whole thing.......

https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving/cars/owning-and-maintaining-a-car/car-maintenance/nitrogen-for-tyres

the summary is a follows...

"While using nitrogen in passenger car tyres may produce some benefits in some applications, it is questionable if the average motorist will derive any measurable benefit from its use.

Using nitrogen does not remove or reduce the need to check tyre pressures as the risk of a puncture or a slow leak is not altered.

Many of the benefits claimed of nitrogen could be achieved by using dry compressed air from a properly designed and maintained compressed air system.

Nitrogen cannot replace regular maintenance. Regardless of what inflation gas is used, maximum tyre life will only be achieved if the vehicle and tyres are properly maintained. That means regular checking of tyre pressures, wheel balance and alignment."

Why don't you stop digging ... you have been proved wrong on so many points ... why don't you start a topic that you actually know something about, it certainly isn't chemistry ... have a beer and chill out... enjoy

Here's what the AA- of the UK have to say about nitrogen.....and they are just being polite!

"For passenger car tyres the main claims seem to be:

• Less corrosion – because unlike air there's no moisture in pure nitrogen
  • Slower rate of pressure loss – nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules (which make up 21% of compressed air)

Air loss can occur through the inner liner of the tyre as well through the valve, punctures, or failure of the seal between tyre and wheel rim. Pure nitrogen might leak more slowly through the liner, but you would still have to check tyre condition and pressure regularly.

Corrosion of the tyre from using normal compressed air is unlikely anyway because only the outer tread band of a car tyre contains steel – the amount of moisture reaching it from the inside is minimal.

To change to nitrogen you have to have the air already in the tyres removed before the tyres are re-inflated with purified compressed nitrogen. There will be a one-off charge per tyre but once filled with nitrogen, future top-ups would have to be with nitrogen if any advantages are to be maintained.

Overall, while accepting the possibility of purified nitrogen being of benefit in certain applications, we don't think that the cost and possible inconvenience are justified for normal passenger car use."

Your arguing for the sake of argument. No one is suggesting that nitrogen is the holy grail of tyre gasses which must be used at all costs.

All your quotes form various transport authorities / services are great but, you said it was a con, and I disputed that. Then I spelt out (far more that I ever though I'd have to lol) the reasons I think it is not a con.

To summarize, simply this-:

In the vast majority of cases here in Thailand, free nitrogen isn't a con. Its free and a guy will walk up to your car and do it for you - you don't even have to get out. You can even ask him to set your desired pressure on giant digital display. In fact it would be more inconvenient to search around for somewhere that doesn't have nitrogen and only has compressed air. I haven't searched since there is no need to. If my local B-Quik had just fresh air I'd just that in the same way. If they didn't have that service I'd check next time I filled up with diesel. Lastly, I'll use the 12V compressor I have in the car.

My shop put it in when I bought the tires......Any of the follow up rotations and checks I've not seen them fire up the machine to add......

Now - as I have 4 bicycles to top off every month I just check/adjust the tire pressure on the cars too....

..The battery powered compressor I had for 4 wheeling in the US was one of the Best things I brought over with me......

Put simply, once they've put nitrogen in your tire you are meant to top up only with nitrogen or you are just back to normal.

So by giving you a "free" dose of nitrogen they are then hooking you in to coming through their door every few weeks or so for a check up. As any shopkeeper knows, a good business relies on getting people through the door.... Once you've got them through the door you can start selling.

Nitrogen therefore is seen primarily as a sales gimmick by companies like B Quick... Just a cheap way of repeatedly getting you through the door. As a retailer and wholesaler I can tell you that there's only one thing better than a punter, that's a putz!

Why would you need to go back every few weeks, I thought Nitrogen does not leak from the tyres.

Anything can leak - it depends on the size of the hole. As your tire already has 79% Nitrogen in it, do you really think that replacing the other 21% is going to make a noticeable difference?

My air-filled tires hardly ever need a top-up - tires these days simply don't leak....if they do it is usually down to damage a nail or something in which case nitrogen or not it won't make a blind bit of difference.

However if you do have a puncture, you will either have to return to the source of nitrogen or replace with air....then go and remove the air and replace it with nitrogen again........I fail to see given the negligible claimed benefits of pure Nitrogen against 79% nitrogen why anyone in their right mind would go down that road.

Remember too - you can't top up a nitrogen filled tire with air as that "undoes" the purity of the nitrogen - if you top up at a gas station or with your pump at home, you will then have to go back and empty the tires completely and start again.

This also raises the question of how thoroughly they remove all the "moisture" from the inside of the tire.

BTW - you can also get "dry" compressed air which has no moisture content.

Back in the 1960s there was a craze when people dangled a strip of material off the back of the car that would occasionally touch the ground - the theory being that it would release build up of static electricity in the vehicle and protect against travel sickness; the effectiveness of this was more or less on a par with dangling furry dice in the window or putting nitrogen in your tires.

Edited by cumgranosalum

Why would you need to go back every few weeks, I thought Nitrogen does not leak from the tyres.

Remember too - you can't top up a nitrogen filled tire with air as that "undoes" the purity of the nitrogen - if you top up at a gas station or with your pump at home, you will then have to go back and empty the tires completely and start again.

This also raises the question of how thoroughly they remove all the "moisture" from the inside of the tire.

One of these solves that problem.

http://nitrogentirefilling.com/parker-tyre-saver-tire-wand.html

Surely all the hardcore "I only use nitrogen in my tyres" fanboi's would not baulk at the cost of such a device if it allows the filling of nitrogen anywhere, anytime.

One of these solves that problem.

http://nitrogentirefilling.com/parker-tyre-saver-tire-wand.html

Surely all the hardcore "I only use nitrogen in my tyres" fanboi's would not baulk at the cost of such a device if it allows the filling of nitrogen anywhere, anytime.

Yes, i'll put that on the shelf next to my bio-rhythm calculator and and pyramid razor blade sharpener.