Entering Thailand, customs more likely to stop Thai wife or farang husband?

anono2223

Flying in next month. We have some 'personal' items coming with us we'd rather not risk losing in checked baggage.

Nothing illegal, just sorta embarrassing. Nothing we have to declare. We just want to enter easily and unchallenged.

But IF we are flagged for a random check, whom is more likely to get tagged? The Thai wife national or the 54 year old American husband?

Help us choose into which carry on we place the items.

Thank you

Michael

The random check is invariably a quick run through the x-ray machine looking for over-limit booze or tobacco (easy to detect and with known penalties). Only if something suspicious shows up do they open the bags.

Look furtive and suspicious, put items in Wifey's bag smile.png

And remove the batteries :)

I've been through with all sorts of stuff. As long as it's legal, and not over the limit booze or cigs, you should be fine. I did hear about someone getting nailed for a big box of frozen salmon. So seems some food stuffs might get flagged also. Sometimes the checks are random, sometimes it's every bag. But typically not small backpacks or purses.

I think it really depends on the items? Value? Li-On batteries? More than 100 ml of "gel"? etc.

Where are you beginning your journey? The U.S.?

Can any of the items be used as a weapon?

This is an anonymous forum, so assuming that your real name is not Dynalmadman, just tell us what the items are? Some items may be legal in the U.S. but illegal in Thailand (and no, I don't mean "free speech").

Nothing quite as embarrassing as the TSA agent waving an 18" double-donger, while yelling for a secondary. giggle.gif

I love Louis CK. http://gawker.com/5592684/louis-ck-and-his-lube-have-a-little-trouble-at-the-airport

I'd pack the items in my checked bags, unless they are valuable or have LI-On batteries. At BKK, the X-Ray after baggage claim (Customs, Green Channel) is only periodically used, and they rarely conduct searches.

And remove the batteries

Doubt the batteries would run the device for the 20+ hour trip?

Edited by bamnutsak

once I arrived they put everyones bag into the XRay machine.

Once they put mine in the XRay machine and wanted to search it. Asked me polite if they are allowed. I told she is welcome to dig around in my used underwear (which was by coincident on top of all). The lady was a bit greenish in the face and the search last about 10 seconds while she got an ear full from my wife and I got cleared.

You will get stopped if it happens, not your wife.

I've been in and out of Thailand perhaps 150 times and never been checked or questioned.

Straight through the green exit.

I wouldn't worry.

Perhaps just leave the batteries behind.

I've never been stopped coming in toThailand.I wouldn't give this much concern

Of the 30+ times I've come into the country, I've been checked at least 80% of the time. Not the same with my wife!

You must be a suspicious looking fellow. In 38 years, I think I have only ever been checked 3 times.

I'm usually coming in with at least 2 very large roller bags. When coming in light, I've never been stopped. Never had to put my backpack through. But sometimes, every small pull alongs goes through. Depends on the position of the sun, the moon, etc. ;-)

I saw a Thai customs officer take great pleasure in making a holiday maker take out a vibrator and put it on the table in front of every one, what was more embarrassing was it was a male. Sex toys are illegal in Thailand, it has to be the real thing to be legal,smile.png