First time in Thailand. Recomandations?

catalin90

Hello,

I am planing to visit Thailand with my girlfriend at the end of next year (November or December). We are thinking to fly from Bucharest (Romania) to Phuket, stay 6 nights in Phuket. After that, fly from Phuket to Chiang Mai, with 4 nights in Chiang Mai. And then come from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, and spend another 6 nights in Bangkok. Fly back home Bangkok - Bucharest.

AirBnb looks like a good option for us, we've found nice guesthouses and apartments with 15 euros per night. With the service tax by AirBnb added, the total should be around 300 euros for the 16 nights. Speaking about the internal flights, these should be around 140 euros (with cabin luggage included).

The only big problem are the flights from Romania. We plan to fly from Bucharest to Phuket, as I said before, and then return from Bangkok. At this moment, these flights cost around 1600 euros, but I think that if we catch some good offers we can fly for around 1200 euros.

So, after we put all these together, we have a total of 1640 euros (if we'll catch the tickets from Romania at 1200). My question is: will other 1800 euros be enough for our 16 day trip?

PS: We love food, and that's one of the main reasons we're coming to Thailand. Can't wait to try the street food. xD Oh, we also want to have a few drinks at Mikkeller in Bangkok (craft beer bar), which could be one of the most expensive points from our holiday.

If you have any suggestions, we would be glad to hear them.

Thank you!

I think that is the best option, because we live in Bucharest. I think that flying from Bucharest to Istanbul (with TAROM) and then from Istanbul to Thailand (with Turkish) is also an option. Thank you!

Edited by catalin90

Costs in Thailand are predominately about whether you holiday in a tourist resort where all prices are high compared to local Thai price. In tourist resorts it is hard to find local Thai restaurants to eat. So basically if you avoid the main tourist resorts, eat I local Thai restaurants, use public transport or hire a scooter to get around, use small Thai B and B you will have more fun, meet local Thai people and have an enjoyable holiday. However if local is not your bag and you enjoy western comforts than you will pay double.

You can't even book your flights until end of this year!!? I'd be more worried about the Euro/ THB exchange rate at that time if budget was an issue.......

Phuket is a large island. Your base location should be accessible to everything you'll want to see.Pick one of the main beaches along the West Coast, either Kamala/Patong/ Karon/Kata and everything else is within a bike ride. The beaches change every year so I won't go into personal recommendations other than not to stay at Patong, while it is invariably somewhere you'll end up one of the nights, it's too busy and the beach itself is so so. Hit Bangla road for a night on the town and don't let your missus catch you staring!

The best part about Phuket is biking the Coast down to Promthep Cape or up to the Big Buddha/ into Phuket town for the day. There are few hotels where you can step out of your room and onto the sand, so keep within your budget and get out and about rather than spending money on a resort. Laem Sing, Naiharn are two nice quiet spots by comparison to other main beaches, all within a bike ride.

Dont waste your small amount of time (I'd personally spend more than 6 days Phuket and maximum 4 in BKK) doing Island trips - you may find yourself on a small speedboat for the day with 30 Chinese quality tourists and that is not my idea of a holiday.

Wouldn't know where to start with food recommendations!

Edited by coulson

I think that is the best option, because we live in Bucharest. I think that flying from Bucharest to Istanbul (with TAROM) and then from Istanbul to Thailand (with Turkish) is also an option. Thank you!

if you live in Bucharest do not feel constraint to flying via Turkey. Flying from west european countries for instance frankfurt, amsterdam, london, there are many cheap options flying to bangkok. Maybe from istanbul too, dont know. € 600-700 will do for a flight from europe to bangkok/puket. €200 from Bucharest to any place in europ.

I would prefer to change your money (euros?) into a more stable currency. Next months or maybe longer there can be stiff fluctuations in the euro/baht conversion due to the greek problems. But, i am not an expert!

I am not sure of your age, but even if young, Phuket is a touristy spot that to me barely resembles Thailand at twice the price.

I would at least spend some time in less traveled places if you want a more complete picture of Thailand. You have plenty of time to do some research...

I am not sure of your age, but even if young, Phuket is a touristy spot that to me barely resembles Thailand at twice the price.

I would at least spend some time in less traveled places if you want a more complete picture of Thailand. You have plenty of time to do some research...

Bingo,

You hit the quote of the day!clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I don't disagree with that in principle....but Phuket is accessible for International and domestic flights, it is a convenient choice for first timer tourists! Where would you recommend he go? Khon Kaen? Seriously would love to hear your suggestions as I constantly make an effort to go somewhere new every time I trip back. Further South is about the last area I want to get around but for some reason Ive been put off lately.

If you ask me there is no 'easy to get to' place in Thailand that has not been 'ruined' by tourism...........first timers will enjoy wherever they go.

A few remarks.

Do not be discouraged by negative remarks here about Phuket, Chiang Mai etc. Millions of tourists enjoy these places each year and nobody here can judge what are your likes and dislikes.

However use some street smarts wherever you're travelling and you'll be OK.

Also research some alternatives regarding inland travel, as for example the night train from Phuket to Bangkok (2nd class aircon sleepers) it's an adventure in itself and saves you a hotel night.

Regarding street food only try dishes prepared on the spot and not precooked.

Learn a few appropriate Thai words for thank you, excuse me etc. that will earn you a lot of goodwill from the locals.

And most important of all keep an open mind and allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck

Yermanee wai.gif

What ever you do DONT rent jetski or use tuk-tuk in Phuket and be careful at night - I guess you have read many Things that can happen to tourists in Thailand ... sad.png

In Chiang Mai as mentioned never enter a Karaoke-bar or you will end up with a bill about 20,000-50,000 B which the police will force you to pay or at least half of it ...blink.png

oh yes btw the PM advice that your girlfriend dont wear bikini if she is good looking ...whistling.gif

When you explain yourself to a Thai person and they nod in agreement....do NOT assume that is an indication that they had the slightest idea of what you were talking about....believe me.... I learned that from living with my wife for 8 years now.

PS. Have a great holiday.

Edited by dotpoom

OTP (Bucharest) to BKK

Shortest total flight time is with Turkish indeed (12:25h).

Qatar airways.also has a good connection via Doha (13:30h).

Lufthanse and Thai Air via Munich will probably have a hefty price tag, also good connection.

Vienna (Austrian) and Moscow (Aeroflot) are two other options.

If the price is OK I would opt for Qatar.

All flights going to/from Bangkok.

Can't find a connected flight from OTP to Phuket (HKT).

But why bother?

Countless domestic flights on this superhighway in the air to be booked online separately.

Arbitrary poking around skyscanner.com for OTP to BKK, 24.11. to 15.12.

Qatar 695 EUR.

Cheapest is with AirFrance/KLM 576 EUR (Paris/Amstedam), longer flight times of course, big detour.

Are you flexible with the flight dates?

Will you return before peak season (16.12 onward)?

If you get into super peak (22.12. onward or so), prices will skyrocket.

Edited by KhunBENQ

You can't even book your flights until end of this year!!? I'd be more worried about the Euro/ THB exchange rate at that time if budget was an issue.......

Phuket is a large island. Your base location should be accessible to everything you'll want to see.Pick one of the main beaches along the West Coast, either Kamala/Patong/ Karon/Kata and everything else is within a bike ride. The beaches change every year so I won't go into personal recommendations other than not to stay at Patong, while it is invariably somewhere you'll end up one of the nights, it's too busy and the beach itself is so so. Hit Bangla road for a night on the town and don't let your missus catch you staring!

The best part about Phuket is biking the Coast down to Promthep Cape or up to the Big Buddha/ into Phuket town for the day. There are few hotels where you can step out of your room and onto the sand, so keep within your budget and get out and about rather than spending money on a resort. Laem Sing, Naiharn are two nice quiet spots by comparison to other main beaches, all within a bike ride.

Dont waste your small amount of time (I'd personally spend more than 6 days Phuket and maximum 4 in BKK) doing Island trips - you may find yourself on a small speedboat for the day with 30 Chinese quality tourists and that is not my idea of a holiday.

Wouldn't know where to start with food recommendations!

We won't stay in the resort. That's what I've said before. We found some apartaments for 15 euros per night on AirBnb. We heard that Phuket is probably the most expensive zone in Thailand, but we will try to stay under 100 euro / day limit. :-D Speaking about Bangkok, we will spend more than 4 nights there.

if you live in Bucharest do not feel constraint to flying via Turkey. Flying from west european countries for instance frankfurt, amsterdam, london, there are many cheap options flying to bangkok. Maybe from istanbul too, dont know. € 600-700 will do for a flight from europe to bangkok/puket. €200 from Bucharest to any place in europ.

I would prefer to change your money (euros?) into a more stable currency. Next months or maybe longer there can be stiff fluctuations in the euro/baht conversion due to the greek problems. But, i am not an expert!

Thank you for the euro tip! We will see if there will be any fluctuations in the euro - baht conversion. Speaking about flying to Bangkok, I think Qatar Airways will be the best choice, if we will catch a good offer. We would preffer the shorter flight time.

Bingo,

You hit the quote of the day!clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Sure, I've head that it is a touristy spot and that the prices are higher. But it is an island that has international flights. Maybe we will consider going to Krabi, who knows. Anyway, we choosed Phuket not only for the beach, but also for the Big Buddha statue.

OTP (Bucharest) to BKK

Shortest total flight time is with Turkish indeed (12:25h).

Qatar airways.also has a good connection via Doha (13:30h).

Lufthanse and Thai Air via Munich will probably have a hefty price tag, also good connection.

Vienna (Austrian) and Moscow (Aeroflot) are two other options.

If the price is OK I would opt for Qatar.

All flights going to/from Bangkok.

Can't find a connected flight from OTP to Phuket (HKT).

But why bother?

Countless domestic flights on this superhighway in the air to be booked online separately.

Arbitrary poking around skyscanner.com for OTP to BKK, 24.11. to 15.12.

Qatar 695 EUR.

Cheapest is with AirFrance/KLM 576 EUR (Paris/Amstedam), longer flight times of course, big detour.

Are you flexible with the flight dates?

Will you return before peak season (16.12 onward)?

If you get into super peak (22.12. onward or so), prices will skyrocket.

Qatar would be our first choice, also. They also have a flight from OTP to Phuket, I've checked a few days before. We would preffer to fly directly from Bucharest to Phuket, and not to Bangkok, because we would like to spend less time in the airports. If we would have to go to BKK and then fly in the same day to Phuket, I think we would lost an entire day. We'll see what offer is the best.

So the peak season starts from 16 december? Then maybe we will consider flying to Thailand in November. Thank you for the tips!

When you explain yourself to a Thai person and they nod in agreement....do NOT assume that is an indication that they had the slightest idea of what you were talking about....believe me.... I learned that from living with my wife for 8 years now.

PS. Have a great holiday.

Haha xD Thank you for the advice!

What ever you do DONT rent jetski or use tuk-tuk in Phuket and be careful at night - I guess you have read many Things that can happen to tourists in Thailand ... sad.png

In Chiang Mai as mentioned never enter a Karaoke-bar or you will end up with a bill about 20,000-50,000 B which the police will force you to pay or at least half of it ...blink.png

oh yes btw the PM advice that your girlfriend dont wear bikini if she is good looking ...whistling.gif

Ok, we will try to stay away from jetski and tuk-tuk in Phuket. We won't enter in the karaoke bars in Chiang Mai and yeah, I've read the Prime Minister's statemenet last year.

Any more tips? Thank you!

A few remarks.

Do not be discouraged by negative remarks here about Phuket, Chiang Mai etc. Millions of tourists enjoy these places each year and nobody here can judge what are your likes and dislikes.

However use some street smarts wherever you're travelling and you'll be OK.

Also research some alternatives regarding inland travel, as for example the night train from Phuket to Bangkok (2nd class aircon sleepers) it's an adventure in itself and saves you a hotel night.

Regarding street food only try dishes prepared on the spot and not precooked.

Learn a few appropriate Thai words for thank you, excuse me etc. that will earn you a lot of goodwill from the locals.

And most important of all keep an open mind and allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck

Yermanee wai.gif

Hei,

We won't be discouraged by negative remarkes about the touristic places. After all, it's our first time in Asia and we want to make it as accesible as it could. We will try to discover the culture as much as we can, especially the culinary culture. :-) So speaking about street food, I don't think we will have problems.

I think we are smart enough to stay away from robberies and scams.

We are not too sure about the night train from Phuket to Bangkok. We will have some big luggages with us, i think. But thank you for the point, maybe we will consider this option.

We will try to learn a few words and we will definetly let ourselves to be surprised.

Thank you very much for your words! :-D

Thank you for the euro tip! We will see if there will be any fluctuations in the euro - baht conversion. Speaking about flying to Bangkok, I think Qatar Airways will be the best choice, if we will catch a good offer. We would preffer the shorter flight time.

Qatar air will be expensive, and bear in mind one way trips to HKT & returning from BKK is not the way to go if money is an issue. Your best bet is get the return to BKK whatever airline has the best option that suits you and immediately fly 'Thai smile' to Phuket, about 75 euro extra and regular flights almost on the hour - as mentioned in another post. Note that NOKAIR & AIRASIA operate out of Don Mueng Airport which is far from Suvarnabhumi so only book with them for your Phuket-Chiang Mai & Chiang Mai - Bangkok legs.

I was suggesting you only stay 4 nights in BKK, but that's up to you.

I don't disagree with that in principle....but Phuket is accessible for International and domestic flights, it is a convenient choice for first timer tourists! Where would you recommend he go? Khon Kaen? Seriously would love to hear your suggestions as I constantly make an effort to go somewhere new every time I trip back. Further South is about the last area I want to get around but for some reason Ive been put off lately.

If you ask me there is no 'easy to get to' place in Thailand that has not been 'ruined' by tourism...........first timers will enjoy wherever they go.

I think we will enjoy! Thank you! :-D

Costs in Thailand are predominately about whether you holiday in a tourist resort where all prices are high compared to local Thai price. In tourist resorts it is hard to find local Thai restaurants to eat. So basically if you avoid the main tourist resorts, eat I local Thai restaurants, use public transport or hire a scooter to get around, use small Thai B and B you will have more fun, meet local Thai people and have an enjoyable holiday. However if local is not your bag and you enjoy western comforts than you will pay double.

We won't stay in a tourist resort. We found some good, cheap options on AirBnb (that means we will stay in some Thai people's houses, apartments or guesthouses), like the Thai B&B-s you talked about. We will stay away from fine dining, eating street food as much as we can. We will use public transport and try to stay away from the tuk tuk scammers. Thank you! :-D

So far, Qatar Airways had the best offers from Bucharest to Thailand. Last winter, they had OTP - BKK (with return) for around 550 euros, which is a very good for price from here. Thai Smile will be a good option to change from Phuket, thank you for that tip.

Have a nice time! :-D

Qatar air will be expensive, and bear in mind one way trips to HKT & returning from BKK is not the way to go if money is an issue. Your best bet is get the return to BKK whatever airline has the best option that suits you and immediately fly 'Thai smile' to Phuket, about 75 euro extra and regular flights almost on the hour - as mentioned in another post. Note that NOKAIR & AIRASIA operate out of Don Mueng Airport which is far from Suvarnabhumi so only book with them for your Phuket-Chiang Mai & Chiang Mai - Bangkok legs.

I was suggesting you only stay 4 nights in BKK, but that's up to you.

The simplest advice is the thing that is missed the most.

If it sounds too good to be true it is!!!!!!!

Be careful what you drink when you go to a bar and or dancing never leave an open drink even water on your table.

As to money and your need it sounds like you have a good grasp.

There are many nice places in BKK to visit and a few that are not so nice but you have to see to believe LOL

The simplest advice is the thing that is missed the most.

If it sounds too good to be true it is!!!!!!!

Be careful what you drink when you go to a bar and or dancing never leave an open drink even water on your table.

As to money and your need it sounds like you have a good grasp.

There are many nice places in BKK to visit and a few that are not so nice but you have to see to believe LOL

We will take care. Thank you.