A star is born

mascarabertha

I ate in a new restaurant/time machine this afternoon.

I say that because is was like eating in an American diner 50 years ago.

I had potato pancakes with sour cream and it was a religious experience. Grated potatoes with grated onion an egg mixed in and pan fried to a crispy outside and soft extraordinary inside.

Other choices were Macaroni and cheese melt with ham, baked spinach and cheese melt, chicken quesedillas, enchiladas, burritos, burgers, home made french fries.

The restaurant was overflowing and talking with other clients who had been there in the past, the consensus was everything was brilliant. People started conversations with strangers saying "try the pumpkin soup" "try the caesar salad"

"MY kitchen" is the name of the restaurant behind tesco lotus hang dong road--map to follow

This is one of my favorite restaurants south of town also, and I especially look forward to stopping in for breakfast when I'm in the area. Outstanding!

Unfortunately, it's a little difficult to find, and (unlike the OP apparently...) I've never seen more than one or two other customers in the place.

Here's a Google streetview link that shows the exact location: https://goo.gl/maps/3Xeyk

That photo was taken nearly four years ago, and the current business is in a building that looks very different now, but it IS on that corner, and you can get in there either by heading east from Hang Dong Rd.( at Warun Market), or by heading north from the middle ring road (3029), about 300 metres west of the river.

The owner/chef (I think his name is Tuun) is a gracious host and he certainly knows his way around the kitchen. Worth the effort!

This is one of my favorite restaurants south of town also, and I especially look forward to stopping in for breakfast when I'm in the area. Outstanding!

Unfortunately, it's a little difficult to find, and (unlike the OP apparently...) I've never seen more than one or two other customers in the place.

Here's a Google streetview link that shows the exact location: https://goo.gl/maps/3Xeyk

That photo was taken nearly four years ago, and the current business is in a building that looks very different now, but it IS on that corner, and you can get in there either by heading east from Hang Dong Rd.( at Warun Market), or by heading north from the middle ring road (3029), about 300 metres west of the river.

The owner/chef (I think his name is Tuun) is a gracious host and he certainly knows his way around the kitchen. Worth the effort!

That's the same street view I came up when I looked for My Kitchen. From what I can tell it is the same place, My Kitchen by Tuu.

Facebook

OP..when you say " MY kitchen"..is that purely the name of the place, and not , as the cynic in me is suggesting that it is indeed "your own place?"..ie "mascaberthas kitchen"..just seems a bit self promoting to me old mate..rolleyes.gif

Edited by andreandre

There should be a law against good Western restaurants too far away from Thapae Gate to reach easily on my bicycle.

And it should be mandatory that all restaurants, good ones anyway, post their GPS co-ordinates. Oh, and no more than a kilometer from Ulysses G's place.

A photo of the front from his Facebook page.

attachicon.gifMy Kitchen.jpg

Closed on Thursdays and sign changed to opening 11am, not 8am. Easy access from river road either direction using GPS.

Well that's ok if you have GPS but for us poor, technically challenged folk who have a 700 baht Nokia, that doesn't have that feature, we have to use the old system, like a landmark or even a Soi number will do.Either Hang Dong Rd or the river road.The fb page map is pretty useless.

By the way the new Coffee de Candle cafe alongside the new Concept Condos, further south on Hang Dong Rd is a gem.Almost rainforest setting, range of Thai food,coffee and ice cream signature dishes that is easy to find with a plethora of road side signs.Turn left at first traffic lights, well past Makro,sharp u turn, almost opp the road leading to the Canal Rd.Owners own the old candle factory and you can buy those too,very well priced .Have a fb page

Tuu's Kitchen: 18.7510738,98.977836

For the technically challenged, aka Khun Sparkles ... go out the southern gate of BWT onto 121 east bound, then head north on the river road until the 3029 overpass and access roads. Take the 2nd access road as if heading to the Superhighway BUT before turning onto the 3029, take the right hand fork which runs off behind shop houses. Follow that soi about 600m down along the stinking black khlong, turning right then later, left over a small bridge and you are nearly there ... 2nd turn on the left is Tuu's!

For the technically challenged, aka Khun Sparkles ... go out the southern gate of BWT onto 121 east bound, then head north on the river road until the 3029 overpass and access roads. Take the 2nd access road as if heading to the Superhighway BUT before turning onto the 3029, take the right hand fork which runs off behind shop houses. Follow that soi about 600m down along the stinking black khlong, turning right then later, left over a small bridge and you are nearly there ... 2nd turn on the left is Tuu's!

Crikey. Do you have to take a cut lunch to keep you going. Sounds like a 6 stubby trip.

Great directions if you're going camping for the weekend. For lunch? Not so much.

Yeah.... kaptainrob's coordinates are correct, but I'm not sure that I could find the place using those directions, and I know the roads he's using!

Fortunately, it's not really all that difficult, and here are the two ways that I've used to get there:

If you're on Hang Dong Rd heading south, turn left at the road that runs along the north side of Warun market. That's the second road after Winnies "terrible" Shell station (although the first road winds up in the same place...) Here's what the entrance to that road looks like: https://goo.gl/maps/4ojQb

About 1.4 km in, you want to turn left on Ban Rongruea Kham Soi 16. I'm not sure that there is a street sign, but the intersection looks like this (or did look like this in October of 2011...): https://goo.gl/maps/pt79s My Kitchen is about 150 metres up that soi, on the left. Here's a map using that route: https://goo.gl/maps/gJx8Q

Alternatively, you can come in from the middle ring road (rte. 3029). Heading east from Hang Dong Rd towards the river on 3029, you'll turn left immediately after the blue & yellow "Perfect Furniture Mall" building, about 2.2 km from Hang Dong Rd, and about 300 metres before you'd get to the turnoff to the river road. Here's where you turn: https://goo.gl/maps/KhYnI

When that road deadends, turn left. Less than 200 metres will get you to that same corner with Ban Rongruea Kham Soi 16, where you turn right to the restaurant. That route looks like this: https://goo.gl/maps/Dq1RN

I'd forgotten that the place is closed on Thursdays (I learned that the hard way myself a while back....), and I'm not happy to hear that it's now closed during "normal" breakfast hours, assuming that's correct. I have ordered breakfast in there at 7 pm however, so I hope that's still an option. The man has a gift when it comes to home fried potatoes, and his homemade sausage patties are worth travelling for!

Oops, most location posts came on Thursday, when we were already on our way. CLOSED THURSDAY ( as Kaptainrob posted yesterday, on Thursday), but did find the place and the co-ordinates are: 18 deg 45' 04" and 98 deg 58'40 ". Will have to arrange another trip to enjoy the potato pancakes though.

Have a great day

Red Crab

...the co-ordinates are: 18 deg 45' 04" and 98 deg 58'40 ". Will have to arrange another trip to enjoy the potato pancakes though.

Have a great day

Red Crab

Is there a bit of a disparity here? Which set are right?

...the co-ordinates are: 18 deg 45' 04" and 98 deg 58'40 ". Will have to arrange another trip to enjoy the potato pancakes though.

Have a great day

Red Crab

Is there a bit of a disparity here? Which set are right?

Both.

My coordinates are digitised.

Beef burgers @ 78 bt with fries went down very well for lunch.

I went today at lunch, it was shut and looked like it had been for a while, can anyone confirm it is still going and it's opening hours (I would have thought Saturday Lunch would be prime time).

A couple of screen shots to show the way from Hang Dong Road heading south after passing Tesco Lotus to Tuu's Kitchen (aka My Kitchen).

Turn left at the first soi after the Shell Service Station.

About 100 m down the soi cross the small bridge so that the canal is on your left.

Stay on this soi for about 1.5 km till you see an old run down market area on your right.

Continue for another 200 m or so to the next intersection and turn right

Tuu's Kitchen is about 20 m down this street on your right

Google Map Coordinates 18.751272, 98.977908

post-99062-0-78511000-1436012245_thumb.j

post-99062-0-47967000-1436012247_thumb.j