Top Obama aides knew about Clinton's private email in 2009

webfact

Top Obama aides knew about Clinton's private email in 2009
By LISA LERER

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senior Obama administration officials knew as early as 2009 that Hillary Rodham Clinton was using a private email address for her government correspondence.

White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel requested Clinton's email address on Sept. 5, 2009, according to one of some 3,000 pages of correspondence released by the State Department on Tuesday evening. His request came three months after top Obama strategist David Axelrod corresponded with Clinton, now a Democratic presidential contender, at her private address.

But it's unclear whether the officials realized Clinton was running her email from a server located in her Chappaqua, New York, home — a potential security risk and violation of administration policy.

Clinton's emails have become a major issue in her early presidential campaign, as Republicans accuse her of using a private account rather than the standard government address to avoid public scrutiny of her correspondence. As the controversy has continued, Clinton has seen ratings of her character and trustworthiness drop in polling.

The newly released emails show Clinton sent or received at least 12 messages in 2009 on her private email server that were later classified "confidential" by the U.S. government. Those emails were censored because officials said they contained activities relating to the intelligence community, or had discussed the production and dissemination of U.S. intelligence information.

At least two dozen emails were also marked "sensitive but unclassified" at the time they were written, including a December 2009 message from top Clinton aide Huma Abedin about an explosion in Baghdad that killed 90.

In April 2009, Clinton's chief of staff, Cheryl Mills, sent a preview of a "sensitive but unclassified" memo to Hillary Clinton's private email address concerning the State Department's preparation for the upcoming Summit of the Americas at the Port of Spain in Trinidad and Tobago.

Though Clinton has said her home system included "numerous safeguards," it's not clear if it used encryption software to communicate securely with government email services. That would have protected her communications from the prying eyes of foreign spies or hackers. When nearly 900 pages of her emails were released in May, Clinton said the information in those messages — also classified by the FBI before being released — "was handled appropriately."

Still, the roughly 3,000 pages of Clinton's correspondence from 2009, her first year as the nation's top diplomat, newly released Tuesday by the agency leave little doubt that the Obama administration was aware that Clinton was using a personal address.

"The Secretary and Rahm are speaking, and she just asked him to email her — can you send me her address please?" Amanda Anderson, Emanuel's assistant, wrote.

Abedin passed along the request to Clinton. "Rahm's assistant is asking for your email address. U want me to give him?"

Less than a minute later, Clinton replied that Abedin should send along the address.

Axelrod wrote Clinton in June 2009 to express his condolences about an elbow fracture she suffered after slipping on her way to a White House meeting and call her "an all-star player."

Clinton replied: "Thank you for your too kind words which were a greatly welcome addition to my healing and rehab. My word of advice is to watch where you step and stay grounded!"

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said last spring that President Barack Obama emailed with Clinton at her private account, though he was "not aware of the details" of her system.

The White House counsel's office was not aware at the time Hillary Rodham Clinton was secretary of state that she relied solely on personal email and only found out as part of the congressional investigation into the 2012 Benghazi, Libya, attacks, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Once the State Department turned over some of her messages in connection with the Benghazi investigation after she left office, making it apparent she had not followed government guidance, the White House counsel's office asked the department to ensure that her email records were properly archived, according to the person, who spoke on a condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to speak on the record.

The emails, covering March through December 2009, were posted online as part of a court mandate that the agency release batches of Clinton's private correspondence from her time as secretary of state every 30 days starting June 30.

Separately, the State Department on Tuesday provided more than 3,600 pages of documents to the Republican-led House committee investigating the deadly 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya, including emails of Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations at the time, and former Clinton aides Cheryl Mills and Jake Sullivan.

The regular releases of Clinton's correspondence all but guarantee a slow drip of revelations from the emails throughout her primary campaign, complicating her efforts to put the issue to rest. The goal is for the department to publicly unveil 55,000 pages of her emails by Jan. 29, 2016 — just three days before Iowa caucus-goers will cast the first votes in the Democratic primary contest. Clinton has said she wants the department to release the emails as soon as possible.

Clinton turned her emails over to the State Department last year, nearly two years after leaving the Obama administration. She has said she got rid of about 30,000 emails she deemed exclusively personal. Only she and perhaps a small circle of advisers know the content of the discarded communications.

Much of the correspondence reflects the mundane logistics of high-level public service, scheduling secure lines for calls, commenting on memos and dealing with travel logistics.

In one email with the subject "Don't laugh!!" Clinton asked her longtime aide, Capricia Marshall, about carpets in China.

"Can you contact your protocol friend in China and ask him if I could get photos of the carpets of the rooms I met in w POTUS during the recent trip?" Clinton wrote. "I loved their designs and the way they appeared carved. Any chance we can get this?"
___

Associated Press writers Jack Gillum, Eileen Sullivan, Stephen Braun and Matthew Daly contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-07-01

"But it's unclear whether the officials realized Clinton was running her email from a server located in her Chappaqua, New York, home — a potential security risk and violation of administration policy."

[email protected] - Where did they think it was? CIA headquarters, Langley VA?

I'd rather run my server at home than Langley.

biggrin.png

"But it's unclear whether the officials realized Clinton was running her email from a server located in her Chappaqua, New York, home — a potential security risk and violation of administration policy."

biggrin.png

The only servers I care about are bringing my meals in restaurants.

Edited by MaxYakov

biggrin.png

Yeah , but they keep an eye open for your server at Fort Meade.

With the NSA and the Patriot Act..no form communication is safe or private.

Anyone with the will and the budget can get any information they wish to have.

What is the point of all this crap?

Is this Hillary's " oral sex scandle "?

Leave it to the GOP to find something to make an issue out of .

" He's done good at the job of being President....so, let's attack his personal life!!! Yeah, that's it! "

It would seem there is yet another roadblock to getting to the bottom of this administration's actions.

They will do anything to cover up their scandals.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Double trouble? IRS lawyer now heads Clinton email production
By RACHAEL BADE 6/30/15 5:19 PM EDT Updated 6/30/15 7:45 PM EDT
A year ago, Catherine Duval was embroiled in the scandal over former IRS official Lois Lerner’s lost emails.
Now the top government attorney is heading up another document project in the cross hairs of Congress: the State Department’s release of Hillary Clinton’s emails and Libya documents to the House Select Committee on Benghazi.
And Republican GOP investigators are raising red flags, accusing her and the State Department of stonewalling Congress by narrowly interpreting document requests and failing to disclose important information.
Edited by Scott
Edited for fair use

Funny how as Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton's personal email account is scandal ridden and full of "failure to disclose', "lies and obfuscation of the Obama administration", etc., etc. Blah, blah, blah.

Hmmm. So what does Colin Powell have to say about his personal email account which he also used during his tenure as Secretary of State under President George Bush before and during the Iraq war?

Powell has confirmed he had used private email while secretary but that he didn't hand over any emails to the State Department because ALL his private emails were all gone.

"I don't have any to turn over," he explained. "I did not keep a cache of them. I did not print them off. I do not have thousands of pages somewhere in my personal files." How convenient General..

By his own account, Powell's emails, unlike Clinton's, include his regular communications with foreign dignitaries. Gosh, I wonder what was he emailing them in the lead-up to the war in Iraq? We'll never know. Maybe something to do with those silly drawings for the UN of centrifuge tubes and mobile bio warfare trucks that didn't exist.

Enough already.

Edited by lifeincnx

There is nothing that Hillary can do that would cause the US Attorney General to prosecute her...they are all in bed together politically and have each others back...

Leaders with Integrity and enforcing the rule of law have become scarce...and honoring the Constitution has become passe in the US...including the US Supreme Court Jesters....

" He's done good at the job of being President....so, let's attack his personal life!!! Yeah, that's it! "

You mean similar to the dems doing the same to republican candidates? And don't forget, a dem has been chief law enforcement officer for the last 6 years.

biggrin.png

Langley, VA is a nice town.

Funny how as Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton's personal email account is scandal ridden and full of "failure to disclose', "lies and obfuscation of the Obama administration", etc., etc. Blah, blah, blah.

Hmmm. So what does Colin Powell have to say about his personal email account which he also used during his tenure as Secretary of State under President George Bush before and during the Iraq war?

Powell has confirmed he had used private email while secretary but that he didn't hand over any emails to the State Department because ALL his private emails were all gone.

"I don't have any to turn over," he explained. "I did not keep a cache of them. I did not print them off. I do not have thousands of pages somewhere in my personal files." How convenient General..

By his own account, Powell's emails, unlike Clinton's, include his regular communications with foreign dignitaries. Gosh, I wonder what was he emailing them in the lead-up to the war in Iraq? We'll never know. Maybe something to do with those silly drawings for the UN of centrifuge tubes and mobile bio warfare trucks that didn't exist.

Enough already.

Colin Powell is not running for office. Your point becomes moot. If Powell says something, people are likely to believe him. Clinton, not so much.

Excuse me?! He is a Republican and worked in a Republican administration, albeit one that will do down with Nixon and Hoover as the worst in the last 100 years.

As such the mouth breathers have no recourse but to ignore this and pretend somehow that Hilary is different biggrin.png

Enough already.

Colin Powell is not running for office. Your point becomes moot. If Powell says something, people are likely to believe him. Clinton, not so much.

Nice try. OK, he wasn't running for office as he WAS ALREADY IN OFFICE, using a personal email account doing Secretary of State business. Hence your point is not only moot but absurd. You know as well most thinking Americans do Powell lost all credibility after his presentation at the UN. The Bush administration marched him out and hung him out to dry knowing he would fall on his proverbial sword like a good solder. He never recovered from that time. Remember who he voted for in the 2008 election?

I'm no big fan of HRC but cutting Colin Powell any slack is simply disingenuous.

Edited by lifeincnx

Enough already.

Nice try. OK, he wasn't running for office as he WAS ALREADY IN OFFICE, using a personal email account doing Secretary of State business. Hence your point is not only moot but absurd. You know as well most thinking Americans do Powell lost all credibility after his presentation at the UN. The Bush administration marched him out and hung him out to dry knowing he would fall on his proverbial sword like a good solder. He never recovered from that time. Remember who he voted for in the 2008 election?

I'm no big fan of HRC but cutting Colin Powell any slack is simply disingenuous.

I must have missed that part where Powell hid his account and then deleted 30,000 e-mails that were recipes and personal messages before having his attorneys vet the remainder and turn only the vetted ones over to the State Department.

Could you direct me to a link that shows they were similar in all regards?

Even a link that says they were controversial at the time would be nice.

Enough already.

I must have missed that part where Powell hid his account and then deleted 30,000 e-mails that were recipes and personal messages before having his attorneys vet the remainder and turn only the vetted ones over to the State Department.

Ask and ye shall receive: http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/03/11/two-names-the-press-omits-from-email-coverage-c/202847

Colin Powell kept none and nothing of his own emails and Jeb Bush himself decided on which of his emails while governor of Florida were private and personal.

Who decided which of Colin Powell's emails while he was George Bush's SecState were of interest to the general public? Colin Powell did. So, in respect of Powell, we'll never know what was in his emails during the leadup to the invasion of Iraq....will we....Never.

Who decided which of the Jeb Bush emails during his eight years as governor of Florida were of interest to the general public? Jeb Bush did. JEB knew he'd be running for prez in 2016 so he himself rode herd on all of his 500,000 "personal" emails.

Conservatives and other right wingers can't win on this one either cause it's another dog that don't hunt. This personal emails stuff is yet another tired old hound loser whose bark is worse than its bite when it does manage a bark. The right wing's track record is a washout as it already is so add this one to it.

Excellent point. There is no substance whatsoever to this "scandal". Of course it's going to fire up the hyper-partisans amongst us, but most Americans aren't interested in this at all. And once it becomes common knowledge that previous Sec. of States did the same thing, voters are going to care even less. And might in fact turn against the GOP if the Democrats can spin this as a chauvinistic attack.

Secretary Clinton is beatable in 2016, but promoting this sort of nonsense (similar to Bengahzi) is counterproductive to achieving that goal.

Today's GOP needs to decide whether or not it wants to win the daily scrimmage on cable news and the Internet OR if it wants to win the White House in 2016.

The DOJ is not going to pursue her, the Obama White House doesn't care, the GOP in Congress are neutered RINOs and Hillary will not be taken to task for any of her actions...

In the infamous words of Hillary herself, What Difference Does It Make!!!!

Enough already.

The topic is Clinton, not Powell. Using Powell as an example is all well and good, however since the situations are not similar; Powell is not running for office, is not being investigated, renders the point moot. Using Powell is no more than a deflection tactic for those supporting Clinton.

Enough already.

The topic is Clinton, not Powell. Using Powell as an example is all well and good, however since the situations are not similar; Powell is not running for office, is not being investigated, renders the point moot. Using Powell is no more than a deflection tactic for those supporting Clinton.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

The pot calling the kettle black.

Far from deflection it's just plain facts. So, I suggest the right focus less on this red herring and concentrate on picking a viable candidate. Oh, wait, you do have one: The Donald.

It is not just the right that is on this bandwagon. In a courtroom or a coffeehouse or an internet forum, the topic is Clinton's emails. You can bicker all you want, but Powell is not the case.

I doubt Clinton will come clean, and now that other candidates are starting to pop up, she'll have to answer to them now as well.

The DOJ is not going to pursue her, the Obama White House doesn't care, the GOP in Congress are neutered RINOs and Hillary will not be taken to task for any of her actions...

In the infamous words of Hillary herself, What Difference Does It Make!!!!

The bottom line here in the 2016 election campaign after each party decides on who will be its nominee is this....

...Republicans in the House led by Boehner who is controlled by the tea party want to go OTT on Hillary Clinton's emails, then the Justice Department can start looking into the disappeared emails of Colin Powell and Jeb Bush...

...and who knows what can be said about Powell and Iraq and his appearance at the UN in vital national security matters and WMD...and who knows what can be turned up in Jeb's emails about hanging chads in the Florida 2000 vote tallying...not to mention his phone calls too...and what did George know and when did he know it...

et cetera et cetera...

Separation of powers, the system of checks and balances...for the good of all.

Republicans, who are doing everything they can to avoid the issues, need to think about this and get to the actual issues and then address the actual issues. That is, if the Republican party can survive dealing with the issues.

Enough already.

Could you begin to imagine what the cafufle would be if Colin Powell had kept his emails.....both Bush, cheny, rumsfeld and Bremmer would be in the War Crimes court in a minute!! thumbsup.gifwai.gif

So Cherry picking information for the Iraq invasion, excluding anything that did not work. Then the final humiliation when he made the speech before the UN assembly. And by all accounts he hated it and felt betrayed by Bush and cronies

The good thing though, the Bush administration clothed that whole fiasco in patriotism, even the liberal's got in lock step SO THERE WAS NO INQUIRY AND DEMANDING OF E MAILS AND PERSONAL CORRESPNDENCE. When everyone realized the massive conjob that had just taken place, people were rather depressed, Colin had quit, for obvious reasons.

However that was a very minor thing , wars and invasions usually are .... not like BENGHAZI biggrin.png

It's the lies. From Clinton. And speaking of not talking about the issues why aren't you liberals talking about Clintons' stand on the issues? Instead of blaming Bush for Obama's failures. Or Clinton's failures. For 6years. But, then in spite of the fact Clinton has been running for president for 14 years now none of you bring up her platform. And, since these emails were always available to Clinton, as we now find out, Trey Gowdy is going to have a field day. Clinton can only hope Benghazi is her worst problem.

Well just you would be fired in every company if you use your private email on your private server for the companies communication.