Thai activists pledge to rally until 14 students released

webfact

If they let these so called Thai activists go it will lead way to more red and yellow rallies. If the Thai government lets them go it will see many more illegal and larger rallies in Thailand. Test this law with the no important people and sacrifice them for the wealthy.

And if they don't let them go this country will be under the heel of the illegal military junta ad infinitum, who's so called 'laws' are just that. So 'called'.

I hear North Korea's nice this time of the year. Perhaps more your type of place?

Edited by dageurreotype

I love that. If you question the junta you're a red shirt. It's the last respite of junta lovers knowing they are wrong.

We all know what Thaksin is. He's the rogue high So Thai elite. The power went to his head and he was a threat to the other elites. But guess what? That fact doesn't now make the other elites the 'good guys'. Those elites have been robbing Thailand for their own gain for decades before Thaksin was even On the scene and will continue to now that he is gone.

50 people.....yeah that is left from the uprising of Esaan, the millions people march to Bangkok, etc blabla etc....when army prevents the money flowing from the dear leader.

not millions, not hundred thousands...well not even 100...just 50 people....

It just goes to show you how many show up when they aren't being paid. Most Thais I know are rather apathetic when it come to politics but not apathetic when it comes to money. For money, they are willing to shed their apathy.

On another note, when will this group be arrested for disturbing the peace?

If that were true the Democrats would have won all those elections they actually lost as they have a lot more wealthy benefactors with huge amounts of money that make the Taksins look middle class.

I love that. If you question the junta you're a red shirt. It's the last respite of junta lovers knowing they are wrong.

We all know what Thaksin is. He's the rogue high So Thai elite. The power went to his head and he was a threat to the other elites. But guess what? That fact doesn't now make the other elites the 'good guys'. Those elites have been robbing Thailand for their own gain for decades before Thaksin was even On the scene and will continue to now that he is gone.

You are right but out of the conflict between the factions came some good. Elections became important and the elite now need to listen, the poor now have free health care and political clout, the need for farming subsidies has been recognised. These good things are here to stay and form part of Taksins legacy whatever bad things he did.

Good for them. Nice to see some people with a bit of backbone. Not quite up to the level of students in Hong Kong, but there definitely seems to be more outward dissent in the last month or so.

You can't blame Thammasat students for being a little cautious. Events of 1976 when more than 100 of them were massacred under a previous junta is part of a Thammasat students DNA.

In the early nineties, I was staying at Sweetie's just off Kao Sarn and they were hanging them off democracy monument in tyres and setting light to them. You got to be pretty brave to protest against this Army

I suggest you take a look at which camps the opposing sides in 1992 are now generally in. Look up which parties supported the military, and the appointment of Suchinda as PM, and who they are now aligned/merged with, and which parties fought against it. Yes, you got to be pretty brave to protest against that army.

Edited by ballpoint

50 people.....yeah that is left from the uprising of Esaan, the millions people march to Bangkok, etc blabla etc....when army prevents the money flowing from the dear leader.

not millions, not hundred thousands...well not even 100...just 50 people....

It just goes to show you how many show up when they aren't being paid. Most Thais I know are rather apathetic when it come to politics but not apathetic when it comes to money. For money, they are willing to shed their apathy.

If that were true the Democrats would have won all those elections they actually lost as they have a lot more wealthy benefactors with huge amounts of money that make the Taksins look middle class.

I guess you didn't know that the Democrats were not allowed to campaign/buy votes in huge swathes of the North and Northeast by Red Shirt ruffians. Movie stars and recording artists who supported the Democrats had their free concerts disrupted/canceled and were threatened by Red Shirt ruffians. Were you even in Thailand or didn't you follow the news?

BTW, Thaksin had his own set of very wealthy 'elites' on his team; don't kid yourself. Thaksin was one of the richest men in Thailand and no one was rich enough to make him look 'middle class'.

Hyperbolic, much?

You write like you knowledgeable on the subject but you are flat wrong on all counts. I'm hoping you are writing from ignorance and not because you are a Thaksin supporter.

I guess you didn't know that the 2011 election was monitored by ANFREL and the results deemed legitimate. I also guess you didn't know that the Democrats declined to participate in the 2014 election because they knew they wouldn't win, and that it was Suthep and his thugs, not redshirts, that disrupted that election.

Colleague was talking to a Thammasat student yesterday. He wanted to demonstrate and feels almost guilty for not doing so. Has 2 young sisters and Mum is the sole breadwinner. She works for the civil service, but most likely not for long should he join the demonstrators.

I'm sure there are many others like him. The laws may be oppressive but they only tell half the story.

Here we go, just noticed this in the newsfeed.

The Nation July 2, 2015 4:31 pm

Deputy Prime Minister and Defence Minister Prawit Wongsuwan Thursday denied that troops had been dispatched to intimidate families of 14 student activists, who have been arrested and remanded for violating rally ban.

Their lawyers alleged that troops had visited and intimidated the families.

In the current climate some only have to allege and denial be seen as confirmation.

I guess you didn't know that the Democrats were not allowed to campaign/buy votes in huge swathes of the North and Northeast by Red Shirt ruffians. Movie stars and recording artists who supported the Democrats had their free concerts disrupted/canceled and were threatened by Red Shirt ruffians. Were you even in Thailand or didn't you follow the news?

BTW, Thaksin had his own set of very wealthy 'elites' on his team; don't kid yourself. Thaksin was one of the richest men in Thailand and no one was rich enough to make him look 'middle class'.

Hyperbolic, much?

You write like you knowledgeable on the subject but you are flat wrong on all counts. I'm hoping you are writing from ignorance and not because you are a Thaksin supporter.

I guess you didn't know that the 2011 election was monitored by ANFREL and the results deemed legitimate. I also guess you didn't know that the Democrats declined to participate in the 2014 election because they knew they wouldn't win, and that it was Suthep and his thugs, not redshirts, that disrupted that election.

What makes you think that? I never wrote to the contrary. Your post has nothing to do with my disagreement with somo.

You are right but out of the conflict between the factions came some good. Elections became important and the elite now need to listen, the poor now have free health care and political clout, the need for farming subsidies has been recognised. These good things are here to stay and form part of Taksins legacy whatever bad things he did.

Sadly, I see you are a Thaksin supporter. Still ignorant but not in the way I was giving you the benefit of a doubt of being.

You can throw insults at me all you wish, I don't care, those resorting to them usually do so because they cannot produce the facts (maybe through ignorance but in your case I think denial) to support their viewpoint.

I do not support Taksin but merely stated some facts about his legacy. Your denial of them shows you are are not prepared to accept reality. Your branding of everyone as either pro or anti Taksin limits your options to think clearly about things.

Being in denial means it is difficult for you to talk sensibly so I expect your insulting reply will appear here shortly. If so I am sure it will make me smile, if not then that will be a bonus for everybody.

Hey, if you're ashamed to be called a Thaksin supporter, stop bragging on him. Where did I deny his 'acomplishments'.

Knock down Straw Men, much?

^^

Obviously you aren't sure. I shall take that to mean you also think you could be entirely wrong.

In relation to

"2011 election was monitored by ANFREL and the results deemed legitimate"

I wrote

"Still wondering about that especially with the involvement of a criminal fugitive who afterwards just ordered his cabinet around to do what he wanted. Mind you it may explain why Ms. yingluck included her own two years in office in the covering of the blanket amnesty bill."

Still wondering how they could deem the results legitimate. Still wondering why Ms. Yingluck thought she needed her own government's period covered.

PS I thought you're a native English speaker?

^^

Obviously you aren't sure. I shall take that to mean you also think you could be entirely wrong.

In relation to

I wrote

"Still wondering about that especially with the involvement of a criminal fugitive who afterwards just ordered his cabinet around to do what he wanted. Mind you it may explain why Ms. yingluck included her own two years in office in the covering of the blanket amnesty bill."

Still wondering how they could deem the results legitimate. Still wondering why Ms. Yingluck thought she needed her own government's period covered.

You can repost the same thing as many times as you like. It doesn't make my post any less valid.

For what it is worth, I am just back from a function where I shared a beer or two with Suthep's brother. Please you and all the others who don't like me on here feel free to relish my discomfort...

Something without meaning has no value and cannot be made less valid. You start with "obvious" suggesting there's no need to explain and give it your own meaning.

Apart from stating the obviously valueless you are also careless in choosing drinking buddies it would seem. That is, assuming I can take your word for it which isn't that obvious, IMHO.

^^

In relation to

I wrote

You can repost the same thing as many times as you like. It doesn't make my post any less valid.

For what it is worth, I am just back from a function where I shared a beer or two with Suthep's brother. Please you and all the others who don't like me on here feel free to relish my discomfort...

Something without meaning has no value and cannot be made less valid. You start with "obvious" suggesting there's no need to explain and give it your own meaning.

Apart from stating the obviously valueless you are also careless in choosing drinking buddies it would seem. That is, assuming I can take your word for it which isn't that obvious, IMHO.

He was chosen for me. I'm sure the others present enjoyed a good laugh at my expense... Edited by baboon

Hyperbolic, much?

What makes you think that? I never wrote to the contrary. Your post has nothing to do with my disagreement with somo.

I see, so you concede that any redshirt attempt at disrupting elections did not affect the result,which was a crushing loss to the Democrats.

You also concede that Suthep and his thugs were much better at using violence and intimidation to disrupt an election. Seems like Suthep and his supporters are a much greater threat to democracy, if it ever returns.

These students were being deliberately confrontational. They knew the law and they chose to break the law. Now let them cool their heals in a prison cell with 40 other criminal's.

These students were being deliberately confrontational. They knew the law and they chose to break the law. Now let them cool their heals in a prison cell with 40 other criminal's.

You regard peaceful protest as "deliberately confrontational"?

Out of curiosity, how would you describe Suthep and his minions illegally obstructing government and using violence and intimidation to disrupt an election?

You regard peaceful protest as "deliberately confrontational"?

Out of curiosity, how would you describe Suthep and his minions illegally obstructing government and using violence and intimidation to disrupt an election?

I would describe them as being "deliberately confrontational" mahk mahk ! biggrin.png

If they let these so called Thai activists go it will lead way to more red and yellow rallies. If the Thai government lets them go it will see many more illegal and larger rallies in Thailand. Test this law with the no important people and sacrifice them for the wealthy.

And if they don't let them go this country will be under the heel of the illegal military junta ad infinitum, who's so called 'laws' are just that. So 'called'.

I hear North Korea's nice this time of the year. Perhaps more your type of place?

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving North Korea approaches." clap2.gif

(my version of Godwin's Law)