90 Day visa versus 5 year visa / Compete in business against the Thai Government

Following is portions of an article I just read:

Property plus visa takes off

EXCLUSIVE: Pattaya property developer Kingdom Property has been swamped with more than 220 new enquiries primarily driven by the launch of its “property with long-stay visa” promotion just three weeks ago.

The Thailand Elite program is 100 percent owned by The Tourism Authority of Thailand, which, in turn, is under the control of the Thai government.

...buyers will be entitled to apply for five-year multiple-entry visas that are renewable every four years. This visa will entitle its holder to benefits that include fast-track immigration clearance, assistance with driving licenses, discounts and a bilingual helpline.

This is unfair to other businesses and their staff/employees and unfair to the foreigners in Thailand that are required to get annual visas and report every 90 days! I am married to a Thai lady and help her run a small company that provides local jobs to five to ten people weekly. We have been doing that for almost eight years. I have invested millions of baht in the company – far more than the 3 million Thai baht to purchase one of these properties.

The benefit I get for investing in Thailand – nothing! I get the privilege of having to report every 90 days requiring most of a day and I need to apply for a new visa every year which requires several days sometimes (not to mention the crazy paperwork required).

It feels to me like the Thai government is using unfair power to shape business decisions that is providing benefits to some that should be equally and fairly given to all - both foreign companies and long term foreigners living in Thailand.

Edited by rlellis

I really was worried about posting at all.........do you understand I do not get fast-tack or five year renewal benefits. That is the point being made.

From the articlee.

With an entry price point of THB 3 million, buyers will be entitled to apply for five-year multiple-entry visas that are renewable every four years. This visa will entitle its holder to benefits that include fast-track immigration clearance, assistance with driving licenses, discounts and a bilingual helpline.

This is just another indirect "scam" to get people to buy their properties.... People have to pay for that Elite card no matter if they buy or not buy this condo... just a scam..... dont fall for it.....You get absolutely NO FAVOURS AT ALL...

Glegolo

• Like 1

I really was worried about posting at all.........do you understand I do not get fast-tack or five year renewal benefits. That is the point being made.

From the articlee.

With an entry price point of THB 3 million, buyers will be entitled to apply for five-year multiple-entry visas that are renewable every four years. This visa will entitle its holder to benefits that include fast-track immigration clearance, assistance with driving licenses, discounts and a bilingual helpline.

Well you can certainly apply for the 5 year Thai Elite visa and have those same benefits. Just pony up the 500K baht required.

With the Thai Elite visa you still are required to do the 90 day reporting, although hand your passport over to Thai Elite and they will do it for you. Plus you must renew your one year entry stamp each year at immigration (via Thai Elite).

You can leave the country any time you wish (it's multi-entry) without the need for a re-entry permit. Thai Elite will provide limosine service to the airport, and meet you at the arrival gate and take you through immigration, claim your bags and limo back to your residence/hotel, all without any additional cost.

Your choice if you want to pay for it or not.

When I did the math, it turned out I was spending over 100000 baht per year on the old 90 day in/out routine, so for me it was a no brainer. In 4 years time I will re-evaluate it to determine if I want to reup.

whistling.gif Bull-whacky

Unless you can prove otherwise by supplying details.....which I suspect you can't and/or won' t.

I see this deal as nothing more than a scam to sell cheap condos at an inflated price,

And I expect all you will do me is charge me another 500K Baht for a visa I don't need anyhow that comes with a cheaply built and over-priced "condo" that I don't want and or need anyhow.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 1

his is unfair to other businesses and their staff/employees and unfair to the foreigners in Thailand that are required to get annual visas and report every 90 days! I am married to a Thai lady and help her run a small company that provides local jobs to five to ten people weekly. We have been doing that for almost eight years. I have invested millions of baht in the company – far more than the 3 million Thai baht to purchase one of these properties.

So one assumes after all this, you have applied for PR and you don't have worry about visa's every again ?

​Seems to me the circumstances of the people this program is targeted are somewhat different.

Further you could have applied for this program years ago for THB 1.0 million and then THB 2.0 million when the price went up and don't need to buy anything

Married to a Thai so no need 'get a new visa every year' just extend your permission to stay.

Also no need to go the PR route go straight for citizenship. All sorts of advantages.

Note this is assuming that the OP has a work permit and is paying taxes on his earnings. If I am wrong in this assumption then it would appear that the OP is working illegally and hardly in a position to whinge.

(Apologies in advance if you do have a work permit)

• Like 1

To the OP:

This is simply a marketing ploy by Kingdom Property , not any incentive by the Thai government, and is obviously not aimed at everyone. It is a real estate company that has seen an earner, approached (?) TAT and has been given permission (?) through the Elite administration to advertise TE privileges through their condo packages.

A lot of question marks above as I really haven't been following the subject, but if the company took the steps above, well done to them to have had the forethought to do so.

As said, I haven't been following the subject because my stay in Thailand follows other long stay paths and therefore not interested in this long stay plan..............wink.png

Still surprised you think this comes from the government.

Thai Elite has (reportedly) 300 sponsor companies. This is (probably) just one that uses the name in advertising. Nothing wrong with that and no scam.

Seems strange that a entrepreneur like the OP never heard of Thai Elite, or that he didn't 90 days reports can be done by mail, and now online (almost).

Edited by paz

Following is portions of an article I just read:

Property plus visa takes off

EXCLUSIVE: Pattaya property developer Kingdom Property has been swamped with more than 220 new enquiries primarily driven by the launch of its “property with long-stay visa” promotion just three weeks ago.

The Thailand Elite program is 100 percent owned by The Tourism Authority of Thailand, which, in turn, is under the control of the Thai government.

...buyers will be entitled to apply for five-year multiple-entry visas that are renewable every four years. This visa will entitle its holder to benefits that include fast-track immigration clearance, assistance with driving licenses, discounts and a bilingual helpline.

This is unfair to other businesses and their staff/employees and unfair to the foreigners in Thailand that are required to get annual visas and report every 90 days! I am married to a Thai lady and help her run a small company that provides local jobs to five to ten people weekly. We have been doing that for almost eight years. I have invested millions of baht in the company – far more than the 3 million Thai baht to purchase one of these properties.

The benefit I get for investing in Thailand – nothing! I get the privilege of having to report every 90 days requiring most of a day and I need to apply for a new visa every year which requires several days sometimes (not to mention the crazy paperwork required).

It feels to me like the Thai government is using unfair power to shape business decisions that is providing benefits to some that should be equally and fairly given to all - both foreign companies and long term foreigners living in Thailand.

If it can make you more comfortable, none of the condo buyers will receive these privileges for free.

It is part of a kind of promotion, in which you buy a condo worth 1,9 million for 3 million, and they give you a 20 years Elite card membership (worth 2 million) for free.

The offer it good (220 enquiries for that project, is reaaaally good), but nobody gets the PE visa or the assistance at the airport for free.

And it has nothing to do with the government using "unfair power" for anything, by the way.

If you want the same privileges, why don't you buy a Thailand Elite membership?

It's a great program :)

I do agree with you, however, that it must be a bit frustrating to see some people getting easy visas and assistance, while you have to renew your visa every year with lots of hassles. But the PE visa cannot be used for working, so I guess you must keep the option you have used till now. And, as already mentioned, the guys with such convenient visas paid for it.

Edited by gerry1011

Like the OP what bothers me is that you get better treatment if you have money than if you have a child or wife.

Money is more important than people?

I am struggling to see the connection, someone who has a wife/child can stay long term in Thailand easier and cheaper than some who has bought a TE card...blink.png

For a extension of stay based on marriage, one has to only show THB 400k in the bank, where as someone going for the TE has to spring THB 2.0 million for the same thing or at the very least 500k for 5 years, so in financial terms you are better treated than someone who has money

or are demanding fast track at the airport just because you have married a native and produced a child ? blink.png

and besides this illusion of being treated better is just that an illusion, simply because people are being "treated better" because they are paying to be better treated and the service.

in the same vein, do you believe you should get a free upgrade to business class on a plane just because you have a wife/child in tow ?

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

From the articlee.

As others have already pointed out, this is a marketing ploy, not a free perk. All they have done is add the cost of an Elite PE visa to the cost of the condo. This kind of bundling with real estate sales is almost ubiquitous. Usually, they just throw in an iPhone 6s or something. Kingdom Property have just come up with something original, and some of those responding to the offer will be arithmetically challenged and really think they are getting a good deal.