PHUKET WEATHER: Strong waves advisory for Andaman Sea, Gulf of Thailand until July 8

Lite Beer

PHUKET WEATHER: Strong waves advisory for Andaman Sea, Gulf of Thailand until July 8

1436062127_1.jpg

Large waves like this one that crashed on Phuket last July, are expected again this week.

PHUKET: Waves as high as four metres are expected in the Andaman Sea until Wednesday (July 8), a weather advisory from the Thai Metorological Department has warned.

The advisory, issued on July 3, and effective untill July 8 advises for small boats to stay ashore and all ships to "proceed with caution" during the period.

In addition to waves of 2-4 metres that are expected in the Andaman Sea, which covers six Thai provinces – Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang and Satun – waves of up to three metres are also expected throughout the Gulf of Thailand, which includes the provinces of Trat, Chanthaburi, Rayong, Chonburi, Samut Prakan, Samut Songkhram, Phetchaburi, Prachuab Khiri Khan, Chumphon (Koh Tao), Suratthani (Samui, Phang Ngan), Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Pattani and Narathiwat.

Yesterday, an Iranian tourist drowned in a 2-metre wave off Patong after ignoring Red Flags posted on the beach.

In addition to heightened waves off Phuket, thundershowers are expected to hit between 40-60 per cent of the area, with temperature highs between 32-34 degrees Celcius, and lows averaging 22-24 degrees.

Commuters are advised to proceed on the roads with extra caution.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-weather-strong-waves-advisory-for-andaman-sea-gulf-of-thailand-until-july-8-53067.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-05

TMD is usually very bad with forecasts, but this time in line with a more reliable source.

Unfortunately it looks like they are correct, I have had to advice my guests that I will not be offering any divetrips for the moment. Unfortunately there were still boats going out today.

Yes, I've seen boats going out every day disregarding safety.

Yesterday and the day before were ok, no problem going to e.g. Racha Yai.

And even with a wind like we're having right now you can still go to Coral Island. Unfortunately the diving there is really bad and there will be a big surge, making it together with the bad visibility IMO dangerous to dive there.

But guaranteed that hotel guests will be taken to Racha Yai and back, and that there will be other daytrips going away from the sheltered areas.

Yes, I've seen boats going out every day disregarding safety.

Yesterday and the day before were ok, no problem going to e.g. Racha Yai.

And even with a wind like we're having right now you can still go to Coral Island. Unfortunately the diving there is really bad and there will be a big surge, making it together with the bad visibility IMO dangerous to dive there.

But guaranteed that hotel guests will be taken to Racha Yai and back, and that there will be other daytrips going away from the sheltered areas.

Boats of up to 9 meters have been ordered to stay ashore. I don't like these kind of measures and think it should be a decision the operators and captains make, but with some unresponsible behaviour in the past I do think this is the only way.

However, there are hardly any tourist boats of less than 9meters.