Udon Thani Immigration

kiwidad

Did all my previous immigration applications in BKK, Will be going back to live in Udon or on the way to Loei next year. Just want to get a heads up on what goes on there. If its ok with you of course gerry123 LOLgigglem.gif

My 90 day reports generally take 5 minutes or less.

My one year retirement extension took me about 15 minutes earlier in June.

The only small problem I have ever had is when they required more than my wife's copy of her ID card and marriage certificate 2 or 3 years ago as proof of residence

I returned to my local amphur, got a yellow book and it couldn't be any easier now.

I have never offered nor been asked for an under-the-counter payment of any kind in this office.

There was a surprise during my last trip. We were told my request would have to be approved by higher authorities and I would have to return in 30 days to get the visa stamped in my passport. I have talked to a couple of farang friends and they have had the same experience. We were told it is a new requirement.

Perhaps the general wants to get his fingers into everything.

If you are going to live in Loei, I understand the nearest immigration office to Loei would be in Chiang Khan, which is only 50 kilometers from Loei.

I don't know how easy or hard Chiang Khan immigrations is to deal with.

"There was a surprise during my last trip. We were told my request would have to be approved by higher authorities and I would have to return in 30 days to get the visa stamped in my passport. I have talked to a couple of farang friends and they have had the same experience. We were told it is a new requirement."

I was told the same thing very recently, I have a business trip in a couple of days to China - BUT - for a fee they could issue the visa there and then which they did, think the fee was 3k, for me happy tp pay as would have been a hassle otherwise!

Edited by CGW

for a fee they could issue the visa there and then which they did, think the fee was 3k,

That's not a fee. That's extortion/tea money etc. Udon Immigration started doing this a year ago and are still at it. The normal payoff for this extortion is 1k.

<snip>

There was a surprise during my last trip. We were told my request would have to be approved by higher authorities and I would have to return in 30 days to get the visa stamped in my passport. I have talked to a couple of farang friends and they have had the same experience. We were told it is a new requirement.

<snip>

Forgive me for quoting my own post but I want to follow up on the 30 day wait for a retirement extension as noted above.

I showed up today with my passport and yellow book to get the extension stamped in my passport.

They asked for my passport, which I handed over to them. They then gathered up the paperwork, stamped the extension in my passport and I was good for one more year.

The other thing is my 90 day report begins with today rather than one month ago when I initially reported.

It took 20 minutes because they were crowded.

Edited by chuckd

The 1 month wait is "normal" for those of us who live in areas serviced by the smaller immigration offices. If you didn't have to do it previously, but now do, it might be because they've decided to remove some of the independence of the udon office (for whatever reason).

yes but if you pay 3000 tea money it can be done while you wait, corruption at its best?

Not corruption, sounds more like a Fast Track service (e.g. in the airport) - as least you have the option so be thankful for that.

yes but if you pay 3000 tea money it can be done while you wait, corruption at its best?

Not corruption, sounds more like a Fast Track service (e.g. in the airport) - as least you have the option so be thankful for that.

Of course it is corruption, 3000 for instant service which is how is used to be and is where I get my extension done, and no receipt, corruption at its best.

I got my one year extension to stay at Sakhon Nakhon Immigration on Friday. I noticed on the wall there was a big sign saying 90 day reporting was free and please report anyone charging you. Not exactly the same, but non the less seems they are trying to cut down on corruption.

I got my one year extension to stay at Sakhon Nakhon Immigration on Friday. I noticed on the wall there was a big sign saying 90 day reporting was free and please report anyone charging you. Not exactly the same, but non the less seems they are trying to cut down on corruption.

Good news George.coffee1.gif

Of course it is corruption, 3000 for instant service which is how is used to be and is where I get my extension done, and no receipt, corruption at its best.

Nonsense does not mean corruption, read Post 14 - have you thought things may have changed ? In any case what is the problem with a 30 day wait, plan ahead...