Thai Driving Licence Limit ?

Farangdanny

How old can you be and still keep your license?

There have been no reported age limits. There was an effort to limit those with certain medical conditions but don't know if that passed as a regulation yet.

70, Thai, no bad record = Permanent DL, same as ID card - does NOT apply to non-citizens.

A Permeant DL has nothing to do with a Thais driving record and is not an ID card for them in Thailand. My wife got her Life time dl in 2006 one for a car and another for a motor bike. 2 months after she had hers the LTD rescinded this policy and made all Thais to conform with regulation that we do. When the LTD did this they grandfathered all Thais with theses dl's. She sure lucked out. Her dl's are both paper and they are starting to turn yellow and yes her photo is 9 years old. If and when she wants to she can go to any LTD office and they will issue her a new smart DL, car and bike for life and these dl's she can drive in other countries on a Thai dl. BTW an Id for a Thai is there government issued ID and their house book. Id for use is our passport and a cr.

70, Thai, no bad record = Permanent DL, same as ID card - does NOT apply to non-citizens.

A Permeant DL has nothing to do with a Thais driving record and is not an ID card for them in Thailand. My wife got her Life time dl in 2006 one for a car and another for a motor bike. 2 months after she had hers the LTD rescinded this policy and made all Thais to conform with regulation that we do. When the LTD did this they grandfathered all Thais with theses dl's. She sure lucked out. Her dl's are both paper and they are starting to turn yellow and yes her photo is 9 years old. If and when she wants to she can go to any LTD office and they will issue her a new smart DL, car and bike for life and these dl's she can drive in other countries on a Thai dl. BTW an Id for a Thai is there government issued ID and their house book. Id for use is our passport and a cr.

I don't believe Rotweiler was suggesting that a DL is an ID. He was saying that the DL is lifetime, just like the Thai ID is lifetime, once you get old enough.

In the early 90's I had to get a new DL every year for 105 baht. Every year they asked me if I wanted a lifetime DL, every year I said yes, then, after a discussion they said I couldn't have one. In 1995 they asked again, and, to my surprise I was issued one for 1005 baht.

I was recently stopped in a routine check, and the officer seemed surprised at the lifetime DL, and they used their laptop to check if it was valid. It passed the check ok.

The first Thai ID card issued after your 60th birthday is valid for life.

In the early 90's I had to get a new DL every year for 105 baht. Every year they asked me if I wanted a lifetime DL, every year I said yes, then, after a discussion they said I couldn't have one. In 1995 they asked again, and, to my surprise I was issued one for 1005 baht.

I was recently stopped in a routine check, and the officer seemed surprised at the lifetime DL, and they used their laptop to check if it was valid. It passed the check ok.

The first Thai ID card issued after your 60th birthday is valid for life.

I often wonder if any foreigners had a lifetime dl and your the first to say so. Congratulation. And yes that is correct on Thai ID's as both my f/l an m/l got their life time id cards this past year.