PM Prayut: 14 students will be tried by military court

webfact

PM: 14 students will be tried by military court

BANGKOK, 6 July 2015 (NNT) - Prime Minister Prayut Chan-Ocha has insisted that the 14 student activists be tried in a Military Court with no exceptions being allowed.

The premier stressed that in order to ensure peace and order, all members of society must obey the law and follow legal procedures. The government needs to uphold the orders previously issued and must not make exceptions.

The students are accused of violating the the code of the National Council for Peace and Order which prohibits any political gathering of more than five persons, in holding symbolic events to commemorate the 22nd May coup. In addition, the 14 are charged under Article 116 of the Criminal Code, the law on sedition, with holding an anti-government political activity.

The students 12-day detention period is set to expire on Tuesday and it remains to be seen whether authorities will ask the military court to detain the students for another 12 days.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-06 footer_n.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it when these idiots constantly spout this "must obey the law" B.S.

It's almost laughable that this comes from a group who had an ILLEGAL COUP, which is considered sedation and treason "under the law", which they ignored, and then promptly tore of the LEGAL constitution and implemented their own ILLEGAL mandates, and granting themselves total immunity for all past & future actions. Must obey the law? Gee, generals, why don't YOU try doing that sometime, instead of constantly believing that you are ABOVE the law.

Martial Court to Rule on 14 Anti-Junta Dissidents' Release Tomorrow
By Khaosod English

14361693271436169406l.jpg
Students inside a mock prison cell made of pipes at Thammasat University to show solidarity with the 14 activists in jail, 5 July 2015.

BANGKOK — Bangkok's military court will rule tomorrow on whether to extend the detention of fourteen anti-junta activists amid mounting support from the public to release the group.

One of the activists' lawyers, Kritsadang Nutcharus, said his legal team will ask the court to release the 14 activists, most of whom are students, on the grounds that they have no intention to flee the country.

The fourteen activists, who are facing charges of violating the junta's ban on protests and inciting unrest, were sent to jail by the court after they were arrested on 26 June for leading a peaceful pro-democracy rally in Bangkok. If found guilty, they face up to seven and a half years in prison.

Under Thai laws, a court can order suspects to be remanded in prison for 12 days at a time. The session can be extended by the court up to seven times.

"If the court approves the second remand session, the students will have be to detained in prison, as they were," Kritsadang said. "But no matter how the court will rule, as a lawyer I will accept the decision, and I will contest the remand when the next session ends."

Kritsadang said the activists remain in good spirits, although some of them have picked up minor illnesses in prison.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1436169327

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-07-06

I'm off to the shop to get a few beers in for this evening. With all these developments, it is going to be a lot of fun watching the junta fanbois tying themselves in knots:

'Keep them in jail forever, not that they are enemies, though they should be released on bail which they have refused to apply for in order to cause trouble for the junta, not that bail should be granted and leaving them to rot is the only correct course of action because they are being paid by Thaksin even if they aren't....'

Cheers!

It's clear what these 14 students did was very wrong and deserves to be punished with the full force of the law. If this means capital punishment, then so be it. The Thai government is spot on: we cannot allow people in this country to voice political opinions. The government needs to put a stop to this immediately!

I'm off to the shop to get a few beers in for this evening. With all these developments, it is going to be a lot of fun watching the junta fanbois tying themselves in knots:

'Keep them in jail forever, not that they are enemies, though they should be released on bail which they have refused to apply for in order to cause trouble for the junta, not that bail should be granted and leaving them to rot is the only correct course of action because they are being paid by Thaksin even if they aren't....'

Cheers!

Don't buy too many beers Babs, I think your Thaksin fanbois will be all over this one like a cheap suit. Most will be trying to outdo the rest with the most obnoxious Prayut insult.

The junta fanbois will probably kick back with a few beers and have a laugh. clap2.gif

....................The premier stressed that in order to ensure peace and order, all members of society must obey the law and follow legal procedures................

Hear hear!! thumbsup.gif

Army which has fear of students ... manly and tough.

This country has to get rid off this person. The sooner, the better.

Before too much damage is done.

I agree, however what is the alternative.

Please don't just say democracy, what does that mean in this country that has abused it so badly.

Are there any charismatic moderate, fair minded true leaders waiting in the wings to lead and govern with something that at least resembles democracy as we know it, not what has been sold (almost literally) to the Thai people in the past.

Good leaders are thin on the ground everywhere now, Leaders of all Western countries are just corporate lackeys as far as I can see.

It's not to ensure peace and order, it's to ensure fear.

If you disagree about who or what the government is and stage protest manifestations accordingly, then that is called politics and political meetings...

if you want to point out some wrongdoing by that government or its personal, staging protest manifestations to undo the wrongdoings, then that is allowed...

Its not ok to say that someone is wrong, but is it ok to say that someone is doing wrong ?

I read a lot off complaints about situations and events in Thailand , here on TVF,... old governments, politicians... name it...

Now we have someone , trying, changing the situation.... and people are complaining again....

Last poll revealed that nearly 70% of the Thai population was happy with the actions of Prayut ...

I call that democracy...

If you disagree about who or what the government is and stage protest manifestations accordingly, then that is called politics and political meetings...

if you want to point out some wrongdoing by that government or its personal, staging protest manifestations to undo the wrongdoings, then that is allowed...

Its not ok to say that someone is wrong, but is it ok to say that someone is doing wrong ?

I read a lot off complaints about situations and events in Thailand , here on TVF,... old governments, politicians... name it...

Now we have someone , trying, changing the situation.... and people are complaining again....

Last poll revealed that nearly 70% of the Thai population was happy with the actions of Prayut ...

I call that democracy...

" Last poll revealed that nearly 70% of the Thai population was happy "

they even have polls in North Korea gigglem.gif

Army which has fear of students ... manly and tough.

This country has to get rid off this person. The sooner, the better.

Before too much damage is done.

I agree, however what is the alternative.

Please don't just say democracy, what does that mean in this country that has abused it so badly.

Are there any charismatic moderate, fair minded true leaders waiting in the wings to lead and govern with something that at least resembles democracy as we know it, not what has been sold (almost literally) to the Thai people in the past.

Good leaders are thin on the ground everywhere now, Leaders of all Western countries are just corporate lackeys as far as I can see.

That sir, is down to the Thais to decide, as in the electorate, not the Farangs with opinions, nor the Junta with hidden agendas, but the Thai people themselves.

Doesn't matter what farang's describe what Thailand has, as unless they have a vote, it's got nothing to do with them, it's a mess only Thais themselves can sort.

Democracy is abused indeed, especially when you have a Junta that acts above the laws of the lands and constantly interferes in politics, then nothing is ever going to change.

As for charismatic leaders, unfortunately unless you're of a certain disposition and clique, being able to project yourself as a "future" PM/Leader has been curtailed by the Dinosaurs who currently run the establishment!!

I call that democracy...

my poll says different

so

i call that bs

these people think they are gods and well removed from reality

I do not believe the students demonstrated out of love for democracy.

They could very well be (probably) payed pawns in the hand of antidemocratic elements in Thailand who do not want this government but again a corrupt one of their own choice.

We know those elements and their leader have a strong influence in this country by many years of corruption and bribery.

Making the press roar against this government is a strong attack against freedom and egality.

So I understand the government very well - they have to stay strong.

They are in the moment the only way closer to democracy in Thailand

They could very well be (probably) payed pawns in the hand of antidemocratic elements in Thailand who do not want this government but again a corrupt one of their own choice.

We know those elements and their leader have a strong influence in this country by many years of corruption and bribery.

Making the press roar against this government is a strong attack against freedom and egality.

The junta you support have already discounted the students being paid shills. Back to the drawing board for you, I'm afraid...

It's clear what these 14 students did was very wrong and deserves to be punished with the full force of the law. If this means capital punishment, then so be it. The Thai government is spot on: we cannot allow people in this country to voice political opinions. The government needs to put a stop to this immediately!

I really hope that the above post is an attempt at silly sarcasm! Otherwise, I'll feel naucious.

Oh dear ! Back on plant earth, a military coup is an actual attack on democracy. The fact the military is backed by the Bangkok elite is an attack on egalitarian principles.

I believe you may be correct in saying that the students didn't demonstrate out of love for democracy" because it seems the Thais have never had the chance to experience true democracy, so how can you love something you've never experienced. A free press is a cornerstone of a true democracy and a press that "roars" is what true lovers of democracy want, certainly not a press that purrs. But heck !!! they, the students, can dream and wish for a fairer society or does 1984 rules apply ?