Cost of Living in Thailand: How I Spend ฿74,031.83 Every Month

pinkpanther99

For all my frugality, I have never wanted or coveted others material possessions. When I decides to retire at 40 I knew there would be sacrifice and it was no problem bcz Id already made so many getting to that point.

I enjoy the contest: My ability to get the absolute best and highest quality, for the best price.

For me, a life not shackled to a lifestyle tethered to job, to be a free man - has been worth whatever rich, creamy food I cannot consume or some high bed I cannot place my head upon. Some ridiculous car...

The only material possessions that are worth paying dearly for are those that both hold value and last a lifetime.

I gave up on material possessions early in life, the pursuit of which and the people caught up in all of it was just an unhealthy scene.

I choose as my wife to spend on experiences, not that a lovely country home in Issan or Ranong largely off the grid, growing things and living free as many of you do is not one of thise unique, quality experiences.

If you are some single/divorced guy shoveling 40k in a flat, out in fancy overpriced restaurants and clubs. Low quality, ephemeral existence. Not seen much of the world, nor care to. Relocated from home directly to Thailand. Barely stepped foot in neighboring countries. Have no love in your life. Every woman is a chunk of meat to be weighed and assessed. I see that as a very empty life. I'm also throughly unimpressed with your fancy car as well, do the world a favor - take public transport. That is if you can stop thinking about yourself for a moment.

When the British housing market tanks and the gbp goes south, will be interesting to see how many of these jetsetters are left here.

What a crock...what gives you the right to judge how other people live their lives....

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We live comfortably on B20-30k/mth - 4 people - 2 vehicles - no dogs

Are we spending too much $$$?

We too, in the countryside in Issan; we don't smoke, we don't drink alcool but I cycle muchbiggrin.png ; about 15,000 km a year .

three people, one truck , two motorbikes, two bicycles , 5 dogs

we spend about 30kb/month ;

we will spend a little bit more next year, our daughter will go to university .

We live comfortably on B20-30k/mth - 4 people - 2 vehicles - no dogs

Are we spending too much $$$?

We too, in the countryside in Issan; we don't smoke, we don't drink alcool but I cycle muchbiggrin.png ; about 15,000 km a year .

three people, one truck , two motorbikes, two bicycles , 5 dogs

we spend about 30kb/month ;

we will spend a little bit more next year, our daughter will go to university .

Why do people keep focusing on this cigarette and booze thing as a measure of cheap living ?

Cigarettes and booze are relatively cheap in Thailand...i suspect they keep highlighting this because they have come from a farangstan country where these items are expensive and are cluesless as to the reality in Thailand ?

Just because one doesnt smoke or drink it doesnt make a person superior except in the heads of the people making these judgements

Only since coming back to the UK have I realised just how expensive Thailand can be. There are a lot of things here that are far cheaper and when you factor in working here compared to thailand it makes it even worse.

I still can't wait to get back though biggrin.png

Yes the competition on trade in the uk is so fierce that most articles are cheaper in uk then Thailand

Housing obviously isn't and utility costs

Getting through 75K a month is easy in Bangkok if you want a few comforts like Western food,

Western food is cheap ..............

attachicon.gif2015-09-22 19.05.38-1.jpg

35bht a plate, and an hour of my time.

You'll have to excuse me but I simply don't dine at the end of the market from where "dishes" like that originate.

I'm talking about imported meats, fruits, trusted brand names but I'm not sure your pension will stretch, MaeJo

imported meats, fruits, trusted brand names

cheesy.gif

So you pay large to eat imported fruit when it's fresh off the tree in LOS, meat when it's fresh killed in LOS, western "brands" full of chemicals ( ever read those labels? ).

I suppose you think Thai food is full of sprays etc, but western processed food is hardly free of chemicals, and the Thais seem to survive just as well as westerners ( and westerners are very unhealthy ).

Who said anything about processed food?

I import stuff that I'm either unable to find here or that I'm not prepared to compromise on.

I bring in things like toiletries, sportswear, trainers as well as Yorkshire Tea.

The local gourmet food markets at Terminal 21, EM Quartier and Emporium stock imported California red grapes that taste far superior to locally produced nonsense.

I like smoked salmon but the locally-produced Thammachart stuff tastes like utter crap - dry and pumped full of foul-smelling preservatives; I prefer the Scottish produce at Villa or Gourmet.

People might think this is excessive but they think nothing of peeling off 10 or 20k a month to keep a Thai woman in their employ.

Go figure

You'll have to excuse me but I simply don't dine at the end of the market from where "dishes" like that originate.

I'm talking about imported meats, fruits, trusted brand names but I'm not sure your pension will stretch, MaeJo

cheesy.gif

So you pay large to eat imported fruit when it's fresh off the tree in LOS, meat when it's fresh killed in LOS, western "brands" full of chemicals ( ever read those labels? ).

I suppose you think Thai food is full of sprays etc, but western processed food is hardly free of chemicals, and the Thais seem to survive just as well as westerners ( and westerners are very unhealthy ).

I import stuff that I'm either unable to find here or that I'm not prepared to compromise on.

I bring in things like toiletries, sportswear, trainers as well as Yorkshire Tea.

The local gourmet food markets at Terminal 21, EM Quartier and Emporium stock imported California red grapes that taste far superior to locally produced nonsense.

I like smoked salmon but the locally-produced Thammachart stuff tastes like utter crap - dry and pumped full of foul-smelling preservatives; I prefer the Scottish produce at Villa or Gourmet.

People might think this is excessive but they think nothing of peeling off 10 or 20k a month to keep a Thai woman in their employ.

Go figure

I bring my own air. I have it shipped from the Rockies in large bubbles. When it gets here I climb inside. The air here sucks.

Some might think it's excessive but I know a guy who imports his women from the old country now that's excessive.

Edited by lostoday

cheesy.gif

You say "western brands full of chemicals"

well...

Some stuff I occasionally bought in Thailand:

Pasta from Italy = 0 chemicals (according to the label)

Olive oil (Spain/Italy) = 0 chemicals

Granola (Netherlands/Germany) = 0 chemicals

Peeled tomatoes (Italy) = 0 chemicals

Italian mixed herb spices = 0 chemicals

Olives (Spain/Greece) = 0 chemicals

By the way in my home country men live 9 years longer than in Thailand, but I'm not sure that food is the cause, probably more because of the the healthcare system, less traffic accidents, less alcoholism, etc

Fair enough, you got me there, but MOST of the imported processed food is full of chemicals. Even back in country of origin, the stuff in supermarkets is usually processed and full of chemicals.

BTW, why would anyone buy imported tomatoes when the markets have shelves full of them? Does travel make them taste better?

Just to be off topic a bit, while men may live longer back home, for most it's not "living", stuck in a rest home in front of a tv all day. In fact that is my idea of hell on earth, and if I die sooner by living in LOS, all the better for me.

They are already peeled so great for pasta sauce. Thai tomatoes are not that tasty. Plus I like Italian ingredients, as they respect their products and its always great quality and taste.

As for long life: as they say - let's talk when you are 71 ...

All the really old people I know are or were decrepit and had/ have a terrible life once they become dependent on others. I hope I'm dead by the time I've had my 3 score and 10.

I'll probably go home to die as Thai Drs are apparently very hard to persuade to let patients die.

cheesy.gif

Go figure

I bring my own air. I have it shipped from the Rockies in large bubbles. When it gets here I climb inside. The air here sucks.

Some might think it's excessive but I know a guy who imports his women from the old country now that's excessive.

That rockies air is full of chemtrail residue which after injesting enough makes you all delusional, and you feel inclined to move into a grindhouse, play on line poker and eat mama noodles all day :D Edited by Soutpeel

cheesy.gif

Go figure

I don't remember the food I ate 10 years ago ( and it all ends up as c**p ), but I do remember the lovely girls I knew back then. If it came down to spending money on food or girls, no contest.

Fortunate the man that can afford the best of both.

We paid 5000 for the rent of a small nice house, 2000 in utilities, 9000 for a car payment including the insurance, 3000 for AIA health insurance. We live real well spending no more than 30.000/month, cooking at home, few exceptions every month, and no alcohol. Because we travel around a lot, gasoline is a big expense. No kids, just a spoiled dog.

The same life in California will cost at least 4 times more.

Edited by BKResort

Hell,I could have done a better job with my eyes closed insofar as that dreadful meal is concerned. Hope you don't smoke as well, you'll be dead at 65.

I'm already 60, and cycle up from CM Zoo to Wat Doi Suthep most mornings.

I suspect you couldn't do that.

Never forget the Great British Empire conquered the world on food like that.

I live in a house that would rent for 2500 usd per month...back home in upstate NY. I pay less than 200 usd a month here. 4 bedroom/4 bath. Five years ago, I was getting less than 30 baht per usd....now it is close to 36. So with the low rent and exchange rate, I am saving quite a bit. Would not save a penny back in New York. Utilities are cheaper too.

I would say that I am saving 30 percent of my income by living in Thailand. Even though all the things I did not mention...are almost as pricey as back home.

Getting through 75K a month is easy in Bangkok if you want a few comforts like Western food,

Sorry to be rude but that looks awful.

I can see those "things" on the left are supposed to be potatoes, but what are those "things" over on the right?

I can see those "things" on the left are supposed to be potatoes, but what are those "things" over on the right?

Yorkshire puddings .........

I don't remember the food I ate 10 years ago ( and it all ends up as c**p ), but I do remember the lovely girls I knew back then. If it came down to spending money on food or girls, no contest.

Some of us only have to afford to buy food.

Only losers feel like they have to buy women

Edited by Cypress Hill

The only men I know who don't give money to women are those that can't (or the guys who don't like women).

Heck I bought my mother a house. I bought mom a car. I paid for all of her bills when she got old. Did I buy mom?

I dont find ''Thailand'' that cheap, I eat out quite a lot, Good Quality Restaurants, and i dont skip on quality Groceries..

Buy most my Fruit and Veg from the Market, which is delicious...

but i must go through about 70,000 baht a Month....

but like i said, dont scrimp......

I am Strict Vegetarian, so its impossible to buy Food from the Supermarket, as there is little or no Vegetarian Options..

I dont find ''Thailand'' that cheap, I eat out quite a lot, Good Quality Restaurants, and i dont skip on quality Groceries..

Buy most my Fruit and Veg from the Market, which is delicious...

but i must go through about 70,000 baht a Month....

but like i said, dont scrimp......

I am Strict Vegetarian, so its impossible to buy Food from the Supermarket, as there is little or no Vegetarian Options..

Why could you not buy vegetables from the supermarket and cook them at home? I lived with a vegetarian lady and she cooked all of our meals at home?

The only men I know who don't give money to women are those that can't (or the guys who don't like women).

Heck I bought my mother a house. I bought mom a car. I paid for all of her bills when she got old. Did I buy mom?

He's preoccupied with leaping tall assumptions in a single bound. Predictable and boring.

Yorkshire puddings .........

Ha!

To be honest, 35 Baht per plate is actually a very good deal.

Enjoy your dinners, Mr MaeJoMTB

Wow, you really have been paying so long that it doesn't even occur to you just how ridiculous that statement is

Wow, you really have been paying so long that it doesn't even occur to you just how ridiculous that statement is

That's right, don't give them <deleted>. Come to think of it, my 4 yr old daughter is still freeloading off me. She'll be the next to get the boot. Get a job you little rug rat.

That's right, don't give them <deleted>. Come to think of it, my 4 yr old daughter is still freeloading off me. She'll be the next to get the boot. Get a job you little rug rat.

Is that supposed to be humorous?

No one really cares how anyone spends 74K THB/month. No one really cares about how you allocate your funds to live. Choose a life and a lifestyle, and keep it to yourself. I hate to repeat myself, but no one really cares.

Is that supposed to be humorous?

yeah, I was going in the humorour direction. But, believe me, this had better be a wake up call for the little tyke.

I've had Horse and Hound magazine round to interview me and my Thai wife on our lifestyle choices. Everything was fine until I mentioned that we eat a 30 baht noodle dish for our main meal of the day.

I assume that it is ONE bowl shared.