Monsoon influence expected to cause heavy rain from late July

webfact

Monsoon influence expected to cause heavy rain from late July

CHIANG MAI, 7 July 2015 (NNT) – The Northern Meteorological Center is expecting a dry spell during early July, while monsoon winds could cause heavy rains from late July until December, with the potential of floods.

The Northern Meteorological Center has issued a weather forecast for the rainy season, saying due to the weak southwestern monsoon wind across the Andaman Sea that may pass into southern China. This has caused the Meteorological Center to predict continued low precipitation in Thailand, which is already suffering from the lack of water for cultivation.

The monsoon is expected to grow stronger during late July to September. As the monsoon travels through the northern part of Thailand, heavy rains will be expected in most parts of the country and may even lead to flash floods and landslides in some areas.

The high pressure winds from China will expand periodically to eventually cover the upper part of the north and the northeastern region of Thailand. The monsoon will move down to the upper southern region and change to the northwest monsoon wind covering the Gulf of Thailand and the southern region. These conditions will cause lower precipitation and lower temperature in the upper part of Thailand, while the southern region will still be seeing heavy rains, especially on the eastern side.

It is expected that the rainy season will end by mid October for the upper region of Thailand, while the south will continue to experience rainfalls until late January, and especially during November to December.

The public should closely monitor weather conditions and authorities' forecasts, especially from August to September when it is flood prone. Tropical cyclones could form and move near or through Thailand, with accompanying effects such as strong winds, downpours, and heavy rains in some areas.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-07 footer_n.gif

while the south will continue to experience rainfalls until late January, and especially during November to December.

Well that will be the death-knell for many tourism businesses in Phuket...

This is just government propaganda because they have made a complete hash up of the water management and now they are on the verge of a natuaral disaster in Thailand.

Who wrote this?...... Goerbbels??

They are afraid to tell the truth to the increasingly restless masses.

What is their strategy?..... fill the people with all this garbage so they can come back in August and blame some wierd weather anomoly which interupted the almost certain 'normal monsoon' cycle????

Typical Thai government mentality.... Bury your heads in the sand and pray everyone else are wrong?

Edited by PepperMe

So with all the collapsed river banks caused by the dry, I am sure that the government is working hard to repair them to prevent flooding when the rains come... NOT !!!

If the government says this is so it must be going to happen. I must rush out and buy a pair of breast high waders and be prepared. While I am out shopping I will also buy a new large water cannon for Songkran next year. All this government positive propaganda for the future reminds of a song my sainted grandmother used to sing every night at bedtime called "Whispering Hope" I can hear the TV in the background as I type this with some government suit saying "Everything is under control" WOW we are in the promised land for shure.

" Tropical cyclones could form and move near or through Thailand"

- and 4 or 5 actually have over the last hundred years.

I though the floods of 2011 were caused by the remnants of 2 or 3 tropical cyclones.

In part yes but also an unusually high tide in the Chao Praya River that prevented flood waters from rapidly dissapating.

Also an inadequate water control infrastructure that was frequently opposed by local residents when the government attempted to build them.

Bullshit baffles brains and the powers that be know it. Even the daily forecasts are geared to ensuring that the ordinary folk constantly believe rain is coming. Just another way of controlling the masses, an art form from Thai leaderships.

" Tropical cyclones could form and move near or through Thailand"

- and 4 or 5 actually have over the last hundred years.

I though the floods of 2011 were caused by the remnants of 2 or 3 tropical cyclones.

In part yes but also an unusually high tide in the Chao Praya River that prevented flood waters from rapidly dissapating.

Also an inadequate water control infrastructure that was frequently opposed by local residents when the government attempted to build them.

Wait a minute. That year we had unusually heavy rain nearly every day from the middle of May through the end of October. As I recall the story they were telling then, the underlying cause was that they underestimated the expected rainfall during the early part of the season and allowed the reservoirs to fill up, so that later on when the regular high tide in October occurred, with additional heavy rains, they had no choice but to let the water flow through the reservoirs. The problem was not with a tropical cyclone -- I don't remember that being mentioned at the time, although I suppose it could have been -- it was the early filling of the reservoirs so there was no place to divert the water to. We have flooding in October every year because of the high tide that month. Just not as extensive.

Aren't the dams in Thailand built for flood mitigation purposes as well as storage. I find it hard to believe that they didn't build in flood capacity at the walls to fill through to at least 200-300% of design capacity for a few weeks. The dams must of been over topping for them to send water downstream during low air pressure and bad weather, come to think of it. Does thailand have inter regional pumping ability to move huge amounts of water between catchments in the event of less than desirable rainfall locations?

I tried looking around online, there doesn't appear to be much infrastructure as in damns from what I can find even on google maps. Any pointers?

Edited by jcisco