Bangkok To Provide Bike Lanes On 30 Routes

george

BMA to provide bike lanes on 30 routes

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) Monday teamed up with the Thailand Cycling Club (TCC) to mark World Car-Free Day this Friday, and promised to speed up work on improving and building bicycle lanes on 30 routes across the city.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Bannasopit Mekwichai said the BMA and TCC would encourage city residents to leave their cars at homes and use bicycles or public transport instead.

He said the BMA has improved existing cycle lanes on 15 routes with a total distance 80.4 kilometres and is currently constructing lanes on 15 more routes covering a total distance of 96.74 kilometres.

The city administration has also set up 3,379 parking stands for cycles on footpaths and near Skytrain stations that can accommodate 19,224 bikes, and planned to set up another 1,960 stands at district offices, schools, hospitals, public parks and libraries. Altogether there will be 5,069 parking stands for 34,434 cycles across the city, Bannasopit said.

--The Nation 2006-09-18

Where are they? I do not remember seeing a single one.....? CHeers!

http://www.2bangkok.com/2bangkok/buildings/cycle/cycle.shtml has some excellent pics from last year. Are all the bike paths like this?

post-20734-1158599156_thumb.jpg

haha, I like this pic sooooo much.

For me, it sounds ridiculous to imagine riding a bike in Bangkok.

To breath the dirty air? Or to do exercise in the sun with too much SUV?

For me, it sounds ridiculous to imagine riding a bike in Bangkok.

To breath the dirty air? Or to do exercise in the sun with too much SUV?

I have just cycled round Lumphini park 5 times dodging all the runners, walkers, invalids, wheelchairs, kids, dogs, cyclists, nutters.... Nobody minds!!

It was GREAT FUN!!!

Try it before you knock it.