Gov Plans To Give Phuket To Singapore

george

Laopo, we heard you the first time. No one gives a dam_n about Sondhi's unpaid debts ten years ago or his admiration for Thaksin in the early days of TRT. It's history, it has been discussed back in 2005.

You keep flogging this dead horse in every thread, are you obsessed or something?

>>>>

Is there any update on this thread? Any news related to the original topic?

Is it called "I want to tell the world who Sondhi is"?

Why has it been hijacked to serve some members individual agendas?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sondhi saw Thaksin up close and personal as the dragon-devil he is,

and decided that this shall not be allowed to go on un-opposed.

So he took his media savvy and went to work, and hasn't stopped.

thats the thing that made me more than skeptic about Sondhi to begin with

he became vocal about Thaksin starting in 2005, getting more and more aggressive in early 2006.

in one of his SuanLum talk he mentioned something Thaksin did (cant remember what it was...theres been many things he talked about), but what I do remember is he said something about the incident was in 2000/ or 2001. Sondhi said - he cannot let Thaksin do this and damage Thailand, as he was planning to ruin Thailand for his own gain. The biggest question in my mind is - regardless of whether I believe what Sondhi said to be true or not - if he cares so much about Thailand, why did he wait 5 to 6 years before he came out with the facts?

could it have anything to do with the fact that for those last 5 or 6 years Sondhi himself was still benefiting from the benefits he could exploit from having a buddy in power?

and that once the buddy didnt feel he should continue to get those benefits, it was time to bring the buddy down?

(if you want to know about some benefits, try to google for news of who was Managing Director of Krungthai Bank, and how the guy's term was not extended when he was up for retirement..and the such....)

Sondhi is a grandstander who avoids paying his debts by whining.

here are some other attention-grabbing truisms with about as much veracity as Sondhi's claim re; Singapore taking over Phuket.

1. Thailand is being taken over by 7-11

2. Thai females spend half their disposable income on whitening creams.

3. Without loud noise, Thais feel uncomfortable.

Laopo, we heard you the first time. No one gives a dam_n about Sondhi's unpaid debts ten years ago or his admiration for Thaksin in the early days of TRT. It's history, it has been discussed back in 2005.

Sondhi's unpaid debts make him a crook as LaoPo eloquently pointed out. And today this crook has the cheek to brand himself as the white yellow knight in shiny armor trying to save the society from dreamed-up threats like the one in the title thread. So the whole history of Sondhi for the past 10 years and more is still very relevant today.

This is true for any leader or would-be leader: Their history is relevant to evaluate their current actions, and should be scrutinized by the society. Be it Sondhi, Samak (since the 1970s), or others.

Sondhi is a fool, some of the stuff he comes out with is utter rubbish.

Usually, Khun Sondhi starts with something that has a small resemblance to a fact, giving his comments some credibility, and then he expands on it so people believe everything he is saying.

As it relates to Ao Phuket, the government has been having discussions with investors. Amounts which need to be invested start at THB 63 billion, so small players need not apply. While I have no knowledge that the Singaporean government is looking at the project, given their focus on large, long term projects it would not be surprising that they would be interested as are large investors from other countries.

Sondhi is going to turn the the Managers group into something similar to the UK Tabloid. The Sun etc. His next headlines will sound like "Thanksin is actually Elvis", "I have been shag by an allien", etc. I wonder who is going to be feature on page 3. :o:D:D

Edited by AlKing

So please why not just let it die ?

Because there aren't enough threads to expose the personified evil that is Sondhi? Apparently that's what this board is for according to some members on the mission.

Consider it an effort to balance all the threads dedicated to expose the evil of Thaksin and family, Samak, TRT and PPP in the last 2 years. :o

Edit: Put it another way: Anyone exerting a large influence on the society is going to be criticized. Just like Samak is, and Thaksin before him, and others before. This is a sign of success (believe me in the case of Sondhi I really wish it wasn't, but here we are), so please don't whine about it (that's what the PAD likes to do, is it not? Take any chance to play the martyrs - more and more annoying as their influence grows).

Edited by pete_r

Consider it an effort to balance all the threads dedicated to expose the evil of Thaksin and family, Samak, TRT and PPP in the last 2 years.

Those threads are based on fresh news, not on resurrecting some two year old topics to start a talk on something unrelated.

He never had the plot, but this Thai-Chinese could make Baht. From Wiki:

"...Sondhi furiously attacked the Democrat-led government over its management of the economic recovery. After the election of Thaksin Shinawatra as Prime Minister in 2001, several of Sondhi's associates became leaders in the new government. His banker, Viroj Nualkhair, became president of state-owned Krung Thai Bank and gave over a billion baht in debt forgiveness to Sondhi, allowing him to emerge from bankrupcy. Sondhi became a vocal supporter of Thaksin, calling him "the best prime minister our country has ever had."[1] ..."

Then when Toxin came in, his banker crony gave his Baht back after he lost it all.

Wouldn't THAT be nice.

Wiki is notoriously inaccurate, not a valid reference.

Sondhi was just one of thousands of businessmen in 1997

trapped by the ineptitude of the Thai government at that time,

into doubled or tripled debt loads with in a matter of weeks.

You are excusing and defending a man who didn't pay his debts (on a very large scale, and I am talking many Billions of Baht here) to BANKS and others and that had nothing to do with the government.

You are defending a scumbag, a white collar criminal, who declared himself bankrupt-in-private for a sum of Baht 1,5 Billion for 3 years in order to avoid the legality and obligation to pay that money back...

One is a bloody coward then if you don't stand for your own business decisions, loans and obligations. And, don't you come up with a simple excuse about Wikepedia being unreliable. :o

If you are so well informed, I invite you to come with proof that the above details, and article below, is NOT the truth and facts. Beware however, I have a very large documentation about Mr. nice guy Sondhi and his past and present....

"SONDHI LIMTHONGKUL: Debt-ridden payment avoider

-----------------------------------------------

Since the outbreak of the economic crisis, many Thai

businessmen haven't hesitated to reveal their innermost

feelings about debt repayment. Among those financially

incapable of repaying loans, publisher Sondhi Limthongkul's

protests of insolvency have perhaps been the loudest.

His own theories about debt, however, differ from those of

most other businessmen in the Kingdom. For example, steel

tycoon Sawasdi Horrungruang immediately set to work finding

ways to repay his steel group's loans, worth billions of

baht. His motto, which was highly admired at the time, is:

"I have no money, I can't repay loans - but I won't run

away."

Sondhi, however, has shown no enthusiasm for debt

repayment. From the day the debt-restructuring process

began for his flagship companies until now, with the

process completed, he has blamed creditors for showing

no sympathy and the government for abruptly changing the

foreign exchange policy, which automatically doubled the

foreign loan burden of his and many other companies.

Speaking at a public event last week - not about the

economy but rather about a martial arts novel - Sondhi

appeared to show no change in his thinking. Debt

moratorium seems to be his mantra whenever the subject of

indebtedness - both of the government and of his own empire

- comes up.

Thailand is only doing foreigners a favour by guaranteeing

repayment of all loans, he said. We're fooling ourselves by

behaving as if we're still rich. "Nobody forced those

foreign banks to extend loans to my company," he

continued. "They were willing and they received interest

payments. When the economy was in crisis, they said the

business outlook was poor [but] they still wanted to be

repaid."

(The Nation 11-September-2000) & Troubled Company Reporter -- Asia Pacific

Another cookie with your tea ? :D

LaoPo

No the banks who did the lending did the forgiving.

And much of that at government instigation.

Many people at the time rightly blamed government incompetence for their huge debt loads.

You are beating a dead horse, and it's so dead, how dead is it?

It can't even tell if you have an agenda or a daytimer.

I think I'll buy a vowel now.

Many people at the time rightly blamed government incompetence for their huge debt loads.

Show me proof that the banks ''forgave'' Sondhi's BILLIONS of Baht debts, including the 1,5 Billion Baht personal debt for which he declared himself bankrupt; the coward.

Your words that the banks did, sorry for that, are not enough for me. There are still many lawsuits (amongst others from Banks) against Sondhi...! Just wait and see.

Many people blamed the government ? Well, let me tell you Sir, that if you have a company (or many more, like Sondhi) which go(es) under it is YOUR own stupid fault and nobody else's.

People who lose money, whether on the stock markets on in a business ALWAYS try to blame someone, somebody, except themselves.

So, your remark doesn't make sense.

I am NOT beating a dead horse here, the horse is alive and kicking Thailand's @rse out of revenge and hate and self pity.

This is an interesting topic because it SHOWED how stupid this man Sondhi is, bringing up (shouting in fact) that Phuket was to be sold to Singapore; how mad can anyone be(come) ? :o

And, for your info, I have no agenda and not even a daytimer :D

You Sir, are defending an(other) evil financial crook, a man called Sondhi; the others we are already aware of, Thaksin, Samak and now Somchai.

And there are THOUSANDS of messages on TV beating a lot of dead Thai horses about these people, their spouses, children and other family- and relatives, friends...you name them.

Am I allowed to talk about Sondhi, the PAD and their luring-around-the-corner MASS PARTY, or am I to be shut up by people like yourself ?

I don't think so.

And, if you say something like you wrote in your message, don't give words but proof, ok? Show me the proof and I will apologize. Are you able to apologize ?

I am.

LaoPo

If Phuket becomes Republic of Singapore II, at least there will be hope of a better life for some (not all) Phuketian.

Similar reason why a small number of people (not majority) would rather join Malaysia than being ruled by the Kingdom of Thailand.

However, the majority of the people in all corners of this Kingdom still loyal to the crown.

On the bright side, if Phuket becomes Republic of Singapore II, the HKT-SIN air fare must drop as it is a domestic route. Also good news for for the visa runners; laying by the beach at Patong while your visa is renewed.

$152.8 million for a Singapore Technologies-designed amphibious frigate.

Thailand Plans $191.3M Arms Purchase

By PATRICK WINN

Published: 12 Sep 15:32 EDT (19:32 GMT)

BANGKOK - Thailand's military, still standing watch over the kingdom's political upheaval, has been cleared to purchase thousands of Israeli assault rifles and a Singaporean warship.

Embattled Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, who doubles as defense minister, approved a package of defense modernization deals with his Cabinet on Sept. 9. In total, the package is worth an estimated $191.3 million.

Related Topics

Asia & Pacific Rim

Land Warfare

Most of the package is devoted to a $152.8 million Singapore Technologies-designed amphibious frigate. The Royal Thai Armed Forces will also buy thousands of Israeli assault rifles and Russian shoulder-fired anti-aircraft missiles.

"The Cabinet has been lenient with military requests this year in particular," said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a political and security analyst with Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University. "The last thing Samak needs right now is disgruntlement in the military."

Cabinet documents obtained by Defense News say that Thailand's military will contract with Singapore Technologies to buy one large, amphibious frigate - called a landing platform dock ship - for transporting cargo and troops.

However, the papers don't specify an exact model. The frigate will be paid off in installments through 2011.

Thailand has also inked a contract to buy 15,037 Tavor TAR-21 assault rifles from Israel. This $30.1 million buy will boost the Thai military's total stock of the bullpup-design rifles to more than 30,000 - replacing many of the Army's aging rifles.

That purchase is coupled with a $4.4 million order for 531 Israeli Negev light machine guns, raising Thailand's stock to more than 1,100. These will be partially paid for from a special budget tied to securing the violence-scarred Malaysian border, where separatist Muslim insurgents continue to target soldiers and civilians. Russia will also supply 36 Igla-S shoulder-fired, surface-to-air missiles to Thailand - with seven launching mechanisms - for nearly $4 million.

The contracts, which Thitinan described as "scattered," suggest the Thai military lacks a "coherent long-term procurement strategy," he said.

In December, when a military council still led Thailand after former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's 2006 coup, it announced a similar round of purchases. In addition to overall modernization plans for each service, the military announced plans to buy Saab Gripen fighter jets, Chinese surface-to-surface missiles, armed personnel carriers and more.

"It's been a hodgepodge package in the last few years," Thitinan said.

The new package appears in part to address some of Thailand's topical needs, with the Negev light machine guns intended to fight the kingdom's gruesome southern insurgency. The amphibious frigate, according to Cabinet documents, will provide quick disaster relief. Singapore's fleet of landing platform dock ships - all built by the same Singapore Technologies firm - were among the many vessels delivering medics and supplies during the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.

The deal, a modernization boon to Thailand's military, was inked under a shroud of political unrest. To approve the package, the prime minister and his Cabinet convened many provinces away from their Bangkok compound, still occupied as of Sept. 12 by protesters demanding Samak's resignation. At one point 10,000 deep, the protesters transformed the prime minister's stately grounds into a grungy campsite ringed with razor-wire and makeshift barricades.

After Samak issued a state of emergency on Sept. 2, no soldiers were dispatched to the compound, and many questioned his sway over the military.

Gen. Anupong Paochinda, the Royal Thai Army's commander in chief, has insisted that restoring peace through the military is not the answer. Still, Thai military leaders took a similar public stance just before they ousted previous Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra two years ago.

Relations between Samak and the military remain "smooth and close," said government spokesman Nattawut Saikua. But he added: "I say this realizing the leader of the last coup said many, many times he would not seize power."

However, Samak's tenuous hold on the prime minister's seat is not expected to affect the military's new arms package.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=372...c=ASI&s=LAN

Thats right. Many expats and posters on this site arrived during the Thaksin era and have no first hand knowledge to draw of earlier times.

It's no more corrupt these days, its just different snouts in the trough. And un-trendy as it is to say so, the country is financially in better shape now than at anytime before and there is the beginnings of a health care system.

Thai politics is an animal unlike any other. I just wish people would be more objective rather than follow the trend of the day, take sides and paint every single move in a negative light.

AND!! :o:D I am not a TRT supporter by any means. Just objective.

Well said. Remember the days of Chuan and Chovalit..?? Some people need to research a little bit before commenting.

Do we want to go back to those day??

When Chuan was in power his party secretary general was busted for hiding his assets and banned from politics for five years, and Health Minster (from coalition partner party) was removed for corruption and went into hiding. Caught a few years later.

What has TRT got to show for six years in power in terms of fighting corruption?

When Chuan was in power his party secretary general was busted for hiding his assets and banned from politics for five years, and Health Minster (from coalition partner party) was removed for corruption and went into hiding. Caught a few years later.

What has TRT got to show for six years in power in terms of fighting corruption?

at least they didn't had success in hand over phuket to .singapore.

privatisation of state own companies would be a first step to lower corruption. that have to be good observed and well done. hurts at the first time but later you have sexy fresh economy. the PAD cult is against privatisation at all, prefere the odd reshuffle of posts for just getting well paid by the state for oing nothing. state own monopols without market competition is the mothership of corruption.

sell out the country assets - how he can do that, that the tax money cow the "elite" wanna milk.

Show me proof that the banks ''forgave'' Sondhi's BILLIONS of Baht debts, including the 1,5 Billion Baht personal debt for which he declared himself bankrupt; the coward.

Your words that the banks did, sorry for that, are not enough for me. There are still many lawsuits (amongst others from Banks) against Sondhi...! Just wait and see.

Many people blamed the government ? Well, let me tell you Sir, that if you have a company (or many more, like Sondhi) which go(es) under it is YOUR own stupid fault and nobody else's.

People who lose money, whether on the stock markets on in a business ALWAYS try to blame someone, somebody, except themselves.

I am NOT beating a dead horse here, the horse is alive and kicking Thailand's @rse out of revenge and hate and self pity.

This is an interesting topic because it SHOWED how stupid this man Sondhi is, bringing up (shouting in fact) that Phuket was to be sold to Singapore; how mad can anyone be(come) ? :o

You Sir, are defending an(other) evil financial crook, a man called Sondhi; the others we are already aware of, Thaksin, Samak and now Somchai.

And there are THOUSANDS of messages on TV beating a lot of dead Thai horses about these people, their spouses, children and other family- and relatives, friends...you name them.

Am I allowed to talk about Sondhi, the PAD and their luring-around-the-corner MASS PARTY, or am I to be shut up by people like yourself ?

I don't think so.

And, if you say something like you wrote in your message, don't give words but proof, ok? Show me the proof and I will apologize. Are you able to apologize ?

I am.

LaoPo

Neither do you provide any proof in your one note symphony.

If you are so fair an open minded about corruption,

why are you ONLY on about Sondhi endlessly?

Why not equal opportunity villifacation for ALL who deserve it?

I don't think so.

I am.

LaoPo

It is all out there widely available for anyone to read. The other massive debtor who got cut off by Thaksin was Leophairattana who went on a bizarre winding way of trying to get out of the situation, even to the point that he tried to raise a political party for a while. He blamed foreigners, but his biggest debtors were domestic in exactly the same way as Sondhi's.

Sondhi got the wrong end of the judgement when he tried to get Thaksin to allow him to have a TV station, but the Maleenont's had infinitely more cash, he tried to get a bank from Thaksin but L&H got that. He had no place at the top table against new wealth. He is a wanabee bankrupt that is being allowed to squash new and some slightly older money's influence in Thailand.

This new wealth realised that after 97 there was no point in hiding Thailand under a rock and they went about trying to liberalise import and export business.

Pure and simple business vindictiveness.

If Thaksin had had his way we could all probably be watching a few hundred expat bankers running to the airport because the Lehman Brothers regional office would be closing down in Sukhumvit.

I will answer you Sir, but only because to teach you a small lesson.

You have a very weak defense, saying like a small kid: "YOU don't have proof also"...it's like in school: "My father is stronger than your father"....It's childish behavior, Sir Animatic ! :o

YOU, Sir, claimed that the banks forgave Sondhi his BILLIONS of Baht in debts and I asked you to come up with proof that they did so.....but you can't, can you ?

OK:

"Then came the economic crash in 1997. Sondhi’s satellite and publishing businesses faced a meltdown. His WCS was sold to the CP Group before it was renamed TA Orange. His name was completely ruined.

In 1996, Fortune magazine had put Sondhi’s assets at US$600 million (or Bt12 billion at the exchange-rate of Bt25 to a US dollar). A year later, after the crash, M Group was saddled with Bt20 billion in debt. M Group’s holding company alone had liabilities of Bt6 billion. And Manager Media had Bt4.7 billion in debt.

Sondhi ended up declaring himself bankrupt for three years. (that was a PERSONAL Bankruptcy for an amount of Baht 1,5 Billion - LP) "

--November 20, 2005 - The Nation.

And, because you are so stubborn I don't give you a link. It would be easy for me because I am quoting from that link but because YOU are writing and shouting empty words I suggest YOU look and search for yourself for that article, a whole series of articles actually...

Have a nice day and send Sondhi not my greetings because the financial crooky coward doesn't deserve so from an honest and decent poster.

And that Sir Animatic is my answer to your question why I WARN about Sondhi and his absurd and dangerous ideas because I have to wake up the ignorant members on Thaivisa and Thailand -if I can-.

The rest of the crooky bunch of the former and present Governance Thai Dalton Brothers have more than enough Thaivisa Warriors fighting against them....they don't need me.

LaoPo

privatisation of state own companies would be a first step to lower corruption. that have to be good observed and well done.

You are obviously not talking about privatisation done "TRT style" where the government ministers buy themselves Thailand's best and biggest monopolies.

PTT sale was "good observed and well done", true - the country just watched how it was gone in 60 seconds, very professionally. By the time ordinary investors reached the bank doors it was all over and you had your "breaking news" SMS on your phone that you don't need to bother anymore - SOLD.

There was also an insignificant, tiny little matter of the government breaking rules and laws and losing in court - both in PTT and Egat's cases. Basically it was illegal.

Somehow I don't think that's what you meant by "good observed and well done".

BANGKOK - Thailand's military, still standing watch over the kingdom's political upheaval, has been cleared to purchase thousands of Israeli assault rifles and a Singaporean warship.

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?i=372...c=ASI&s=LAN

First the Thai Navy wasted billion on Spanish aircraft carrier. Now the Navy going for Singapore warship? No wonder the middlemen are rushing to open SIN$ account after their Escudos account are filled to the neck. The airforce are quite happy with their Swedish Kronor accounts.

I will answer you Sir, but only because to teach you a small lesson.

You have a very weak defense, saying like a small kid: "YOU don't have proof also"...it's like in school: "My father is stronger than your father"....It's childish behavior, Sir Animatic ! :o

YOU, Sir, claimed that the banks forgave Sondhi his BILLIONS of Baht in debts and I asked you to come up with proof that they did so.....but you can't, can you ?

OK:

"Then came the economic crash in 1997. Sondhi’s satellite and publishing businesses faced a meltdown. His WCS was sold to the CP Group before it was renamed TA Orange. His name was completely ruined.

In 1996, Fortune magazine had put Sondhi’s assets at US$600 million (or Bt12 billion at the exchange-rate of Bt25 to a US dollar). A year later, after the crash, M Group was saddled with Bt20 billion in debt. M Group’s holding company alone had liabilities of Bt6 billion. And Manager Media had Bt4.7 billion in debt.

Sondhi ended up declaring himself bankrupt for three years. (that was a PERSONAL Bankruptcy for an amount of Baht 1,5 Billion - LP) "

--November 20, 2005 - The Nation.

And, because you are so stubborn I don't give you a link. It would be easy for me because I am quoting from that link but because YOU are writing and shouting empty words I suggest YOU look and search for yourself for that article, a whole series of articles actually...

Have a nice day and send Sondhi not my greetings because the financial crooky coward doesn't deserve so from an honest and decent poster.

And that Sir Animatic is my answer to your question why I WARN about Sondhi and his absurd and dangerous ideas because I have to wake up the ignorant members on Thaivisa and Thailand -if I can-.

The rest of the crooky bunch of the former and present Governance Thai Dalton Brothers have more than enough Thaivisa Warriors fighting against them....they don't need me.

LaoPo

You are only telling part of the story.

Same Nation web page you smipped from.

The Manager Group-led Asia Broadcasting and Communications Network (ABCN) set up its satellite project,

Lao Star Co – which was worth about Bt9 billion – as a joint venture with the Lao government in 1995.

Lao Star appointed Space System/Loral to build two L-Star satellites and L-Star 1 was set to officially launch

to provide digital direct-to-home TV programmes in 1998. L-Star 2 was to be put into orbit in 1999.

The project was planned to serve around 2 billion people in the Asia Pacific region, including India and China. Later ABCN enlisted DTAC’s parent, United Communication Industry Plc (Ucom), to back its business.

IEC also provided a bulk of the mobile-phone airtime to DTAC before purchasing the 1800-MHz frequency from DTAC to develop its own mobile-phone operator Wireless Communication Service (WCS). WCS offered the service under the brand Digital 01.

Sondhi once a friend was now a MAJOR competitor.

Thaksin couldn't care less about the benefits to "2 billion people in the Asia Pacific region"

he needed to stop this competitor. He was likely already manipulating the corridors of power,

he was always heading in then direction for his own ends.

Thai End Game? By James Vander Meer Asia Sentinel 04 August 2006

http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?opti...2&Itemid=31

Both men enjoyed success during the boom years of the 1990s. But their fortunes diverged drastically after the government floated the baht on July 2, 1997, setting off the downward spiral that became a regional financial crisis. Thaksin's Shinawatra Corporation came out of the crisis relatively unscathed compared to its rivals. AIS, a Shinawatra subsidiary, quickly came to dominate the mobile-phone market. Thaksin has claimed the company was fortunate enough to hedge its foreign loans six months before the crisis; while Sondhi insists Thaksin was tipped off to the flotation by government insiders.

Sondhi's empire, meanwhile, collapsed. The Manager Group had racked up tens of millions of US dollars worth of debt, and Sondhi was forced to declare bankruptcy. The crisis led his heavily gutted Thai-language newspapers to furiously attack the Democrat Party government.

When his old business pal was heading into serious politics, Sondhi used his media outlets to promote Thaksin's fledgling Thai Rak Thai party, and many Manager-linked figures took on key government roles and plum positions at state-run companies. Pansak Vinyaratn, the editor-in-chief of Sondhi's now-defunct English-language daily Asia Times, became Thaksin's chief policy adviser, while Manager co-founder Somkid Jatusripitak currently serves as Commerce Minister and has been tapped as Thaksin's potential successor.

The connections helped both men five years ago. Thaksin surged to power, and Sondhi climbed out of the financial hole. The media giant's former financial adviser, Viroj Nualkhair, became CEO of Krung Thai Bank, the country's second largest. Under his leadership, Manager's debt to the bank was slashed from about $45 million to a mere $5 million. Sondhi then launched the cable channel Asia Satellite TV (ASTV), won several television contracts, including one to produce his famous Muang Thai Rai Sapda (Thailand Weekly) talk show on a state-owned television station. He also invested in government-run Channel 11, out of which the government planned to develop two new channels.

There is much more to the article and so I linked to it out of balance. It is also 2 years old.

Noting Thaksin has no qualms what so ever to jigger the system to his ends,

buying his own 'man in the BoT or Cabinet' is not exactly below him,

seeing he basically has been purchasing whole governments when he can since then.

Tipped off in advance of a possible float, sounds as plausible as anything.

He never hedges before, then suddenly it's hedge time.. and then the axe falls.

LaoPo I could take you much more seriously IF you were not

so pointedly biased and one side in your attacks on one man.

Who just happens to be the pointman for attacks on Thaksin.

When attacking Thaksin I am attacking the web of interconnecting power

that he built for his own ends. To the point of controling the government,

and rejecting all criticism.

" I AM the government, you can't criticise me! " Dr. T. 2006 Hubris victim.

I have never said Sondhi was an angel,

I have never disagreed that his man Virog at Krung Thai forgave many loans,

and that Thaksin's people then tried to screw him for it, as Sondhi became more of a thorn.

I never forgave him, I had no reason to. Bankrupcies laws are to prevent wage slavery

when circumstances become too much, like an unexpected currency float that wipes

out an whole sub-continent in under a year. It prevents viable business men from

losing the opportunity to create jobs when a crisis is over.

The laws are there for good reasons. I see no reason to crucify Sondhi

for taking a legal option to restructuring.

I watched that from Paris as the Asian Tiger sank from sight.

The main players were the Thai Gvt & Central bank and Malaysia's Mattaher Mohamad,

who did his best to lay blame anywhere but where deserved. His whole bleeding country

got over extended, same as Sondhi and many other Asian players.

Thakisn's fortunes are a GLARING phenominum of that time...

the USA SEC would call that insider trading

And even Martha Stewart did time for less than this boondoggle.

You keep screaming danger and all I see are partial truths and opinions that

bankrupcie laws are somehow not to be used by real men.

Was the route Sondhi took to regain solvency legal.

No one has said it wasn't. You are basing your opinion on morality and nothing else.

Fine if you like, but leveling judgments using morality in Thai business is like herding kittens,

not much to work with, it's either they are less bent or more bent,

few if any bitg players are not crooked in some form or other.

But the level of business mendacity is a better moral yard stick.

Thaksin wins hands down, and Sondhi somewhere back in the pack,

albeit with a higher profile now because he is so media savvy.

Edited by animatic

Glad you found your article(s) and learned a bit about Sondhi.

As I said before I have no intentions to join the war against Thaksin c.s. as there are more than enough Warriors on board here already. You mix the two constantly but I will not take part.

I warn and warned for Sondhi because of his dangerous NEW POLITICS ideas and his stupid one-man-war because he is so frustrated, went bankrupt in a massive way and is a hatred man. He doesn't give <deleted> about the Thai People.

That's why.

Period.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Sondhi may be right on this one. If Thailand gave Phuket and the 3 troubled Southern provinces away it might be better off for it. Thailand would certainly be better off if it gave Sondhi L. to Singapore!

Sondhi would like to go Singapore, but he needs to get a visa first. Also he better make sure that ISA does not apply to foreigners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_Secu..._Act_(Singapore)

BTW. Is it too late to move my wife house registration to Phuket? Having a Republic of Singapore II passport could ease the constant visa application haressment she wanted to travel. Once she was refused entry to HK because the immigration suspect her of being in the flesh trade. Perhaps she is just too sexy, or perhaps she is travelling on a Thai passport full of short term stay entry/exit stamp all over the world.

Sondhi may be right on this one. If Thailand gave Phuket and the 3 troubled Southern provinces away it might be better off for it. Thailand would certainly be better off if it gave Sondhi L. to Singapore!

Sondhi would like to go Singapore, but he needs to get a visa first. Also he better make sure that ISA does not apply to foreigners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_Secu..._Act_(Singapore)

BTW. Is it too late to move my wife house registration to Phuket? Having a Republic of Singapore II passport could ease the constant visa application haressment she wanted to travel. Once she was refused entry to HK because the immigration suspect her of being in the flesh trade. Perhaps she is just too sexy, or perhaps she is travelling on a Thai passport full of short term stay entry/exit stamp all over the world.

As a fugitive facing the possibility of the death penalty, Sondhi would indeed have an interesting time applying for a visa!