Thai Tourism Minister says tourism should promote longer stays by foreign visitors

webfact

Tourists stay on holiday as long as they can. Does this idiot think nobody has any job to go back to?

Excuse me, but, this idiot knows there are a lot of people who spend a lot of money as tourist who do not have jobs to go back to!

They call them retired people.

Many spend much time and money going from country to country as, well....tourists!

Some can afford to do this all year long!

Are we being a bit myopic here?

Not all of us live for the two week vacation anymore!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tourists stay on holiday as long as they can. Does this idiot think nobody has any job to go back to?

Excuse me, but, this idiot knows there are a lot of people who spend a lot of money as tourist who do not have jobs to go back to!

They call them retired people.

Many spend much time and money going from country to country as, well....tourists!

Some can afford to do this all year long!

Are we being a bit myopic here?

Not all of us live for the two week vacation anymore!

Apologies for leaving you out...........but I don't think this article is referring to retiree's, people who stay here year round, year after year.........he doesn't need to worry about those who spend 'all' their time here already, or backpackers for that matter.....those who have the same budget no matter how long they stay.

Read the article again.........it says nothing about asking what tourists think, nothing about making their experience more enjoyable and nothing about improving the quality of life for those who already call it 'home'. It says............MONEY MONEY MONEY

''Vendors need to adopt new approaches that will help them sell more goods to tourists. They are also encouraged to study more closely what tourists like to buy, especially the Chinese as they make up the largest number of foreign visitors.Other foreigners coming to Thailand each year include Japanese, the French and Americans. Manufacturers are urged to focus on applying traditional knowledge to design products that attract more buyers.''

Edited by coulson

Tourist visa as with retirement or marriage are too restrictive. My (Thai) wife has just applied and been granted a tourist visa online for Australia. 3 month maximum stay but is multiple entry valid for 1 year. Of course criteria applies but it certainly encourages tourists to visit. Maybe Thailand could take a lesson here. In the meantime haveing our own home here and still have to do border runs or report every 90 days is archaic, but change is not going to be on the horizon anytime soon.

The Tourism and Sports Minister said during a trip to Chiang Mai that the tourism sector needed to find a way to encourage foreign visitors to stay in the country longer.

Maybe the tourism sector should survey the NCPO. They seem to be staying in the country much longer than expected.

It really amuses me when Thai Tourism officials suggest increasing shopping opportunities for Chinese tourists! I think that a trip to the gold store sums up their shopping in a nutshell. I have seen thousands of Chinese tourists in Pattaya but I have never seen one with a shopping bag!!!

I am not bagging the Chinese. I just do not think that they will ever be a consumer presence in Thailand. I do admire their thrift!

Talking to a lot of people in Oz, I find they have no idea how cheap (and it is bloody cheap) a holiday in Thailand can be. They think in Oz prices where a basic motel roo can cost you B2000/night and a family meal more.

Most Aussies get 4 weeks AL per year, some more. But they come here for a week, staying in relatively expensive large hotels, because it came as a package. If they knew they could stay in reasonable accommodation for $200/MONTH, how cheap even western meals are, they would plan to stay longer.

Why doesn't TAT organise a website where small hotels can post rates for the next month AND ADVERTISE IT.

LOL. Not all Aussies are low class slobs who want to stay in a room with mold, cockroaches and a bedbug infestation Prudent Australian families are like any other western family visitor and insist on staying in a hotel with basic security such as functioning door locks, security guards, and fire detection systems. It is more expensive to stay at a Centara or Novotel because the hotels are built to better quality standards, the staff are trained, the food is safe to eat and it is a better atmosphere. Many people like to have a decent bathroom and air conditioning.

AUD 200 gets one a hovel or a hostel room in a crap location most likely with ex-cons and lowlifes in close vicinity.

The longer you stay, the less you spend, as you still work to a budget.

When I came here first couple of times I was partying like 10 men, and spending on average 10,000 baht a night for 10 nights, but I had budgeted for that, my liver and kidneys didn't.

Now that I stay here with my Thai family, I'd be lucky to spend the same amount in 12 weeks, never mind 10 days.

The trouble with many mates I have who did the same don't return to Thailand as its a been there done that thing, so they look for the next place that they can try out.

Perhaps most of the regular visitors to Thailand would tend to spend less, as they are wiser to the scams and rip offs, and also slowly push themselves out beyond the main touristy places too, as they might feel it's getting repetitive?

The visa runs etc can be complicated.There are people that are on here asking questions about the visa every day.Thailand makes it

Complicated.It would be nice if it was made easier.I just don't see it happening.

BANGKOK, 9 July 2015 (NNT)-Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattawarangkoon says foreign tourists should always be taken into account when developing a tourism plan.

Talk about stating the bleeding obvious!

The Tourism and Sports Minister said during a trip to Chiang Mai that the tourism sector needed to find a way to encourage foreign visitors to stay in the country longer.

They used to have tourists that stayed longer, i.e. Europeans. It's the current policy that's at fault, i.e. attracting Asians, especially Chinese, who don't have the same vacation mentality as Westerners.

Vendors need to adopt new approaches that will help them sell more goods to tourists. They are also encouraged to study more closely what tourists like to buy, especially the Chinese as they make up the largest number of foreign visitors.

The tour buses seem to know exactly what the Chinese tourists want to buy!

Other foreigners coming to Thailand each year include Japanese, the French and Americans. Manufacturers are urged to focus on applying traditional knowledge to design products that attract more buyers.

The first paragraph states that tourist requirements should be taken into account but here we are, back to what it's really all about."How much money can we screw out of the tourists".

"How much money can we screw out of the tourists"

You mean like this: No Snack for You! Rome Threatens €500 Fine for Street Eaters http://www.jaunted.com/story/2012/10/8/115825/285/travel/No+Snack+for+You!+Rome+Threatens+%80500+Fine+for+Street+Eaters

I thought maximizing profits gouging was what it's all about in every tourist area in the world.

Edited by rametindallas

I think they would be wise to have long-term health visas for people who are long-term sick and disabled, people who are often receiving expensive treatment in private hospitals in Thailand. Genuine health tourists typically spend a fortune here on private care, pay for full-time disability-assistants in the local Thai community, love shopping and are well-behaved tourists.

At the same time, being sick or disabled means that health tourists are often too frail to do visa runs, or wade through mountains of beaurocracy all the time. Obviously this visa would need checks and balances to stop it being abused by groups other than the genuinely sick or disabled, and should carry similar credit and spending checks as in certain other visa situations.

Many doctors say that the climate here is very good for recuperation from surgery, and good for controlling the crippling effects of many illnesses too. I think people who want to benefit from this healthy climate, and spend money in the excellant private hospitals here, should be encouraged to do so by having an easy to understand long-term health visa.

Maybe make retirement visas easier if you buy a condo or house. Once you have proof of transfer of a minimum amount of funds and the Chanote, then Immigration would issue a 5 year multiple entry retirement Visa valid so long as you continue to own the property. Renewable after 5 years with continued ownership.

This would encourage more foreigner to buy property, stay longer and spend a lot more money than one week tourists on package holidays buying a few souveniers

Add to that, the elimination of the 90 day reporting requirement, as long as you own and live on the property.

You are all missing the boat here. You have been in LOS long enough to understand the double-speak of the OP. What is actually being said here is that Thais want the cash to stay longer and the tourists to stay home.

Easily done - have options for 30, 60, 90 or even 180 day visa on arrivals.

I once got a VOA in Istanbul and couldn't believe how long it was for (180 days is the only VOA option there but better to have it and not need than need the days and have to leave the country). It would certainly be a lot easier than having everyone head up to Mai Sai or Penang every 30 or 60 days which is a huge pain in the ass and a real deterrent to a long term stay.

Why would anybody want to stay longer ... Please Mrs. Popcorn, lets hear why ... So they can be extorted by the dear RTP-boys in their tight shirts or scammed by Somchai in his stinking tuk-tuk or pay 10x for entry to a national park or risking your life in a traffic hell next to none or yes, the list is endlist - why the hell should people even come ...

I encourage people to stay away unless they have a very good life Insurance and are tired of life - Boycott Thailand = B2

Maybe make retirement visas easier if you buy a condo or house. Once you have proof of transfer of a minimum amount of funds and the Chanote, then Immigration would issue a 5 year multiple entry retirement Visa valid so long as you continue to own the property. Renewable after 5 years with continued ownership.

This would encourage more foreigner to buy property, stay longer and spend a lot more money than one week tourists on package holidays buying a few souveniers

Add to that, the elimination of the 90 day reporting requirement, as long as you own and live on the property.

And.... Reintroduce the Health Insurance Scheme for Farang, that was ditched last year, even if they increase the Premium to something reasonable.

Dropping the Over Inflated Value of the Thai Baht might also help a lot.

Bickering over what defines a tourist or a retiree is bogus. "Retirees" to Thailand are in effect long term visitors, with no rights to anything except spending money earned from overseas inside Thailand. The majority of tourists are members of the general public that work normal jobs with roughly 4-6 weeks holiday per year. Most people will be attracted to a destination because of cost, what it offers and what the attractions are. Offer good value, levels of service and courtesy and reap the rewards. Offer overpriced flights, accommodation, corrupt police, scams, rip offs, dual pricing, out of touch captive dolphin shows, uninsured bungee jumps, literal death slides and passport thefts and be left scratching one's head wonderling what went long??? Roads, did I mention the roads?

Edited by watso63

New member here, greetings to everyone.

re buying a house/land... it appears that there are very basic to no zoning laws, at least on Phangan. That stops many people including myself from committing... eg, I saw three new rental houses built, then a fighting rooster farm moves in the next lot, many roosters twenty feet from the houses. Some grease was applied, so they moved the roosters to the far side of the lot, about one hundred feet away...right. Those houses are last resort rentals, only rented when all else is full. Worse would be a karaoke joint.

I rent a house, easy to move.

There are a dozen ways they could do this.

1. Make visa issues easier to deal with. Longer visas, less hassle with 90 day checks. Easier to get a retirement or marriage visa.

2. Make it easier for foreigners to buy property. The fear that they will take over the country is unjustified. You can limit the amount of land they can buy, and the number of homes they can own, etc.

3. Increase traffic safety. Get the cops to do real police work.

4. Get inflation under control. No matter what these ridiculous government officials say, inflation here is real. Prices are going up all the time. What most Thais in the tourist industry, or who cater to ex-pats do not seem to realize, is that there may come a point where the place is simply no longer a good value, and at that time, we will be moving on, in droves. I have already seen this on Samui. Prices have gone up so dramatically, that it is getting harder to find good value. Restaurants are driving themselves out of business, with their price hikes. Some hotels, who have been particularly aggressive with their price hikes, are experiencing record low occupancy rates. Apartment blocks have significant vacancy rates. There are hundreds and hundreds of villas which are sitting empty. Part of that is due to overbuilding. Part of it is due to aggressive pricing. Some customers are just saying NO!

I could go on for days. The shame about all this, is that it is so difficult for many Thais to look within, for the source of the problem, so the possibility of these changes taking place is low.

Very good point, Sir. I've been coming here since 1993 and now live here full time on a retirement "visa". While inflation doesn't affect me as much as some of my friends, it has been a decision breaker for some to move to nearby countries.

The expatriate community contributes a great deal year around, but has very little incentive to remain as the resident cash cow. When the grass becomes dry and uninviting, the cow will move to greener pastures.

The greed and poor business practices of some businesses and legislative bodies is indeed baffling.

Thailand is very unattractive for people shopping for high end items. The import taxes on luxury goods makes it like that. Cut the tax, and high end tourists will spend more. Perhaps Thailand could even become a destination for big spenders in much the same way KL and Singapore are now.

Oh, and cut the tax on wine and see sales soar (not only with the tourist market). People resent paying a high price for a thoroughly inferior glass they wouldn't dream of drinking at home.