Danger - Soi Watboon and 2nd Road

ThaiBob

Very dangerous agreed, went across it yesterday sat on the buggy the condo use.

No one knows who has the right of way.

When I get my car back I'll hang a Left on 2nd road and do a U-turn further down if I need to.

Yes, this intersection has "history"...

There are traffic lights installed. They were there but not activated when about 2 years ago a concrete truck broad-sided an suv. Spectacular and noisy crash. They were then turned on and all was normal...until a year ago when they blocked the intersection for sewer repairs (3rd or 4th time).

Now, after a year of being blocked the intersection was opened. But nobody has yet thought to activate the traffic lights.

The incompetence with regards to roadways here is staggering!

Those Jomtien 2nd Rd intersections were all safer and smoother running before the traffic lights.

So you drive a lot in jomtien cheesy.gif

You are talking Bs crazy.gif

Totally agree Chang, a traffic light controlled intersections, if being at least somewhat aware of how people drive here, is way safer than an uncontrolled one. And that’s my impression wherever in the world I’ve resided or been driving a car, why would anyone state that an uncontrolled intersection would be safer?
As for smoothness, well that’s a completely different animal... Unfortunately they don’t seem to have any concept of a “green wave” or regulate traffic lights due to intensity here. Recall the chaos on the railroad bypass when they initially switched on the traffic lights. Man you had to wait close to two minutes, at least that’s how it seemed, at each traffic light as they annoyingly just turned red when approached, if driving close the speed limit.

Yes, this intersection has "history"...

There are traffic lights installed. They were there but not activated when about 2 years ago a concrete truck broad-sided an suv. Spectacular and noisy crash. They were then turned on and all was normal...until a year ago when they blocked the intersection for sewer repairs (3rd or 4th time).

Now, after a year of being blocked the intersection was opened. But nobody has yet thought to activate the traffic lights.

The incompetence with regards to roadways here is staggering!

Isnt staggering incompetence par for the course in most everything you come across?

Its the "norm" and things done properly are the exception.

I know there are great things here but they are constantly being strangled by the former.

(My grievance for today and hence my vitriol: I just drove to bkk and back 300+ kms to get my gps fixed which I want for traveling tomorrow.

They fixed it alright, it lasted 40 kms!!)

Those Jomtien 2nd Rd intersections were all safer and smoother running before the traffic lights.

Not sure what planet you come from..... there were several nasty accidents there before the traffic lights. With the volume of traffic increasing regularly in this area, traffic lights are a necessity.

I noticed some of the barricades are back in place but not 100%. I don't understand the intent.

Maybe they were temporarily removed to get long load construction vehicles (i.e. cranes) on 2nd road.

Difficult to do otherwise. 2nd Road was being repaved recently at Sukhumvit because it was badly damage by rain and heavy vehicles (mainly tour buses) turning off Sukhumvit and using 2nd road.

Edited by BB1950

I saw that yesterday. Anyone want to place bets on when the first death will be there?

Do not know but if the need a scapegoat I assume the parking attendant at City Hall will be promoted to head of traffic management. gigglem.gif