Coolant system water pump lube

No antifreeze used here, at least by me or former owner of my old car. So i went to auto parts shop and all i could find was 'RUNDER 1' radiator treatment, a liquid. What i really was seeking was water pump lubricant. Anyone know exactly what is 'Runder 1'? I do not want any stuff to plug up leaks but only to provide lube to water pump. I cannot read Thai so besides the name, all else written on 160ml jar is unknown to me.

" treatment" can often imply a cleaner like a flush - just make sure it is coolant. Even tesco has small bottles cheaper then an auto shop would charge - it is a lub so to speak for the system - you don't want to run plain water. If they do have a lub or call it that it would work no better then a proper amount of coolant which includes it. 50-60baht. The ones I have gotten say coolant or flush on them in English even if it was a German product.

Honda make this:

Water Pump Lubricant 08798-9005 4212049 When added to the coolant, this lubricant reduces noise caused by water pump bearings and seals.

Um ... that is a quote from a 2007 Honda Service Bulletin. I'm inclined to think that they used the wrong word ... as others stated there is a seal before the bearing. Lignum-Vitae Bearings are just not used for this purpose whistling.gif . Although I have to admit that in the past I have worked on plant which utilised those bearings ... 'come on' you engineers ... what plant was that ...... sorry no prize for guessing

Honda make this:

Water Pump Lubricant 08798-9005 4212049 When added to the coolant, this lubricant reduces noise caused by water pump bearings and seals.

FYI if any of those bearings need lubricant they are also knackered to coin a Brit phrase.. Those pumps also have a sealed bearing and it is before the shaft seal in the motor, on the shaft which is located behind the impeller. If you use something like WD40 on one of those bearings when it begins to make noise all you do is hasten it's demise as it just cleans out the heavy lubricant in place of the much thinner lubricant and thus it tightens up even quicker. If it fails it's usually due to the shaft seal failing first and allowing liquid, (water or whatever) washing the lubricant out of the sealed bearing as the water rotating down the shaft acts like a drill to remove the lubricant.

Edited by WarpSpeed

OK on the lube idea. But also recommended in tropics is adding antifreeze to coolant to prevent corrosion. Drivers here do that?

Yes ... it is not only a corrosion preventer, it assists heat transfer and slightly raises the boiling point. Don't run without it and don't mix different types. You manual will state what is suitable for your vehicle or ask your car manufacturer 'dealer'.

Google is a mine of information ... fill your boots

Lignum-Vitae Bearings are just not used for this purpose whistling.gif . Although I have to admit that in the past I have worked on plant which utilised those bearings ... 'come on' you engineers ... what plant was that ...... sorry no prize for guessing

Hyrdro power turbines?

I'll put money (not much mind) on that engine being run without corrosion inhibitor (or anti-freeze).

Please enlighten me regarding anti freeze ?. We are in Thailand and you mention anti freeze

On my service deal the coolant is changed as per the service km period, they drain flush the system and fill with new coolant

Is there something I am missing here as I have never had anti freeze or any corrosion inhibitor added to my cooling system as per the invoice details

Antifreeze is just a term used across the board like "Kleenex" is used for a tissue regardless. Antifreeze works in both directions both as an antifreeze, which you'll never need in Thailand, but also as an anti-boil, it both raises the boiling point of the water as well as lowers the freezing point.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I'll put money (not much mind) on that engine being run without corrosion inhibitor (or anti-freeze).

Please enlighten me regarding anti freeze ?. We are in Thailand and you mention anti freeze

On my service deal the coolant is changed as per the service km period, they drain flush the system and fill with new coolant

Is there something I am missing here as I have never had anti freeze or any corrosion inhibitor added to my cooling system as per the invoice details

They filled it with 'coolant' not plain water did they not?

Coolant is water with the necessary additives (what we may buy as antifreeze or corrosion inhibitor) already added in the correct quantities.

But of course you already knew that.

They filled it with 'coolant' not plain water did they not?

Coolant is water with the necessary additives (what we may buy as antifreeze or corrosion inhibitor) already added in the correct quantities.

But of course you already knew that.

I guess they use Antifreeze in Thailand and Coolant in the North Pole

What colour is the water.....?

If it is clear your engine with age will corrode internally.

If it is pink or green or has a colour it will have the additive to protect from freezing, temp stuff, pump seal but mainly corrosion.

I have never heard anyone using the word Antifreeze in a Thai garage. I fully understand its the same deal but to keep things simple I would use the term coolant as that is what they have listed in there inventory.

No need to check my cooling system as both my vehicles have the correct coolant as per the manufacturers spec.

Coolant or antifreeze, has four (4) basic functions it must provide:

1.- It must carry heat from the engine to the radiators where it will be dissipated

2.- It must not freeze in the winter and must not boil in high temp environments

3.- It must lubricate the system’s moving parts such as the water pump

4.- It must protect the cooling system against corrosion

I'm not sure how 'antifreeze' and 'Thailand' got into this conversation.

Ah yes, I remember, I stated that the damaged water pump (from a US website) probably came from an engine that hadn't had a corrosion inhibitor (or antifreeze which usually includes a corrosion inhibitor).

Nowhere has it been stated that one would use antifreeze (or the word antifreeze) in Thailand.

Our poster who decided that it was an issue could easily come under the label of a troll, i.e. making posts which are intended to promote argument. Further mention of "antifreeze" will be treated as trolling.

... and by the time any form of corrosion has been located - it will also be a good idea to suspect a Welchplug or two, that might be only a step away from god.

I experience one pump a while back, that I heard the familiar screaming noise of a tortured pump on the way out.

The garage man instead blamed the belt, and so then tightened it even further

However, the slipping-screaming belt was a symptom, not the cause... the pump was in fact, seizing

... and by the time any form of corrosion has been located - it will also be a good idea to suspect a Welchplug or two, that might be only a step away from god.

I experience one pump a while back, that I heard the familiar screaming noise of a tortured pump on the way out.

The garage man instead blamed the belt, and so then tightened it even further

However, the slipping-screaming belt was a symptom, not the cause... the pump was in fact, seizing

Yep often the belt begins to slip because of the play that develops in the bearing going south and allows the shaft to move out of position thus slacking the belt. Often the scream is a no longer lubricated bearing or now rubbing impeller as well.

Edited by WarpSpeed