Bangkok won’t face water shortage, says tap water chief

Lite Beer

Bangkok won’t face water shortage, says tap water chief

11-7-2558-13-21-19-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) yesterday assured Bangkok people that the capital will never run out of tap water supply for drinking and consumption.

Even in the worst case, tap water might be brackish, but still can be used for bath, said BMA governor Thanasak Watanathana.

His assurance came amid rumour that tap water supply in Bangkok will run out in 30 days if there is no rain and severe draught continues in the central region.

He told Bangkok people not to worry about disruption of water supply saying the MWA would continue to supply tap water as usual as it could manage water distribution efficiently.

Besides the MWA has given special rates for water used for farming purposes in adjacent provinces around Bangkok such as Nonthaburi and Samut Prakarn at 8.50 baht for the first 50 cubic metres of tap water, and 10.50 baht for the next 50 cubic metre.

Households needed the water for farming can register now for the special rate starting early this month, he said.

According to Bangkok Post, a report by Thomson Reuters Foundation said Bangkok’s tap water supply may run out in a month unless the long overdue rains arrive to replenish sources depleted by drought and threatened by sea water creep.

It quoted Mr Thanasak, in an interview, stating that water levels were critically low in the three key reservoirs that flow into the Chao Phraya River, one of the two main sources of Bangkok’s tap water. Only 5 billion cubic metres had been collected last year, compared to the normal 8 billion cu/m, he was quoted as saying.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bangkok-wont-face-water-shortage-says-tap-water-chief

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-11

quote "BANGKOK: -- Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) yesterday assured Bangkok people that the capital will never run out of tap water supply for drinking and consumption.

That must be reassuring for some.

Most of the country is suffering from a drought of varying degrees but Bangkok will be OK.

Thanks a lot pal.

Where I live in rural Thailand we have had NO government water supply since mid January but I am soooo happy that Bangkok won't suffer.

Perhaps it is about time they did and stopped wasting water.

Quote:

"Even in the worst case, tap water might be brackish, but still can be used for bath, said BMA governor Thanasak Watanathana."

Did you see this slip, Khun Sukhumbhand? The end for you is nigh.

Quote:

"...the MWA would continue to supply tap water as usual as it could manage water distribution efficiently."

Yes, we know this. We really do. Truly.

quote "BANGKOK: -- Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) yesterday assured Bangkok people that the capital will never run out of tap water supply for drinking and consumption.

Most of the country is suffering from a drought of varying degrees but Bangkok will be OK.

Thanks a lot pal.

Where I live in rural Thailand we have had NO government water supply since mid January but I am soooo happy that Bangkok won't suffer.

He's knows Bangkok won't face a water shortage as they'll simply steal all the other areas water.

Just like deliberately flooding areas to keep Bangkok dry; robbing water from all other areas to keep Bangkok quenched is fine in their opinion.

Bangkok and only Bangkok.

I now have 144 liters of drinking water in reserve. If it gets bad enough, I'll either evac in-country somewhere where non-brackish tapwater is relatively plentiful, assuming there is such a place, or bug out to Malaysia to wait out the shortfall.

I'm confident and sticking around but If you're that neurotic about it, probably better to 'bug out' now - see ya

another disaster i see before my holiday becoming frequent what's the situation in phuket the thought of flying to a droubght dose not sound a good plan. why the hell are there no travel warnings about this over here

I'm sure 7/11 will have water...same as the bars will have beer.

That's kind of an interesting issue, Smokie...

Warnings that MWA won't be able to provide drinkable water thru its municipal water system because of sea water incursion due to lower levels of dam water releases. Farmers can't get enough water to grow crops in some areas...

And yet, I've heard and seen nothing about what's going on with the BIG bottled water and bottled beer companies... Are they impacted at all when MWA and others can't supply a normal drinking water supply?

You'd think someone in the local media somewhere would have at least thought about and addressed that question from a business reporting standpoint.

That's kind of an interesting issue, Smokie...

Warnings that MWA won't be able to provide drinkable water thru its municipal water system because of sea water incursion due to lower levels of dam water releases. Farmers can't get enough water to grow crops in some areas...

And yet, I've heard and seen nothing about what's going on with the BIG bottled water and bottled beer companies... Are they impacted at all when MWA and others can't supply a normal drinking water supply?

You'd think someone in the local media somewhere would have at least thought about and addressed that question from a business reporting standpoint.

Agreed, but western style of thinking is not encouraged! whistling.gif

We should move this to the news and alert every one on tv that they must start saving water and get ready for exit when drought hits.

not just in thailand, but in most countries when officials state something is not going to happen its chance of occuring increases by an order of magnitude.

In thailand they probably don't want people escaping the city to wetter places like samet ( what its surrounded by water innit) thus they try to lull you into a false sense of security

THE TIME TO PANIC IS NOW PEOPLE

- just look what happened when the blokey said bkk was safe from the flooding

In thailand they probably don't want people escaping the city to wetter places like samet ( what its surrounded by water innit) thus they try to lull you into a false sense of security THE TIME TO PANIC IS NOW PEOPLE - just look what happened when the blokey said bkk was safe from the flooding

I do tend to agree that usually it seems, what ends up happening in reality often is exactly opposite of what the govt officials say or predict.

But in the case of the past flooding a few years ago, it turned out to be true that the center of BKK never did flood. It was just pretty much the entire rest of the country that did....

Thanks a lot pal.

You would have been able to withhold your sarcastic thanks if you bothered to read what was actually said in the report.

He wasn't making an "I'm (we're) all right jack" remark meaning stuff the rest of the country, he was responding to an inaccurate report by Thomson Reuters that was claiming Bangkok's tap water could run out in a month.

Did you choose to live in a rural part of the country or were you forced to do so?

Quote:

"Even in the worst case, tap water might be brackish, but still can be used for bath, said BMA governor Thanasak Watanathana."

Quote:

"...the MWA would continue to supply tap water as usual as it could manage water distribution efficiently."

Yes, we know this. We really do. Truly."

We do indeed. It"s good that you do recognise that nowhere in Bangkok has there been water shortages so far and that is what he is referring to.

Quote:

Quote:

He's hardly likely to be worried about a Thai PBS typo that meant MWA.

In thailand they probably don't want people escaping the city to wetter places like samet ( what its surrounded by water innit) thus they try to lull you into a false sense of security THE TIME TO PANIC IS NOW PEOPLE - just look what happened when the blokey said bkk was safe from the flooding

I do tend to agree that usually it seems, what ends up happening in reality often is exactly opposite of what the govt officials say or predict.

But in the case of the past flooding a few years ago, it turned out to be true that the center of BKK never did flood. It was just pretty much the entire rest of the country that did....

not in the lat prao area, everything north of government enrgy complex was flooded, that is bkk.

Thanks a lot pal.

You would have been able to withhold your sarcastic thanks if you bothered to read what was actually said in the report.

He wasn't making an "I'm (we're) all right jack" remark meaning stuff the rest of the country, he was responding to an inaccurate report by Thomson Reuters that was claiming Bangkok's tap water could run out in a month.

Did you choose to live in a rural part of the country or were you forced to do so?

So what exactly was inaccurate about the statement from the Thomson Reuters Foundation (not to be confused with the news agency)?

They said it "may" run out if there are no rains soon, and everything stated in this article and even from the Thai government indicates that this may well be true.

Thanks a lot pal.

I CHOSE to live in rural Thailand and the way I read the report was the way I answered it.

There are many parts of Thailand which are suffering drought and I have with few exceptions yet to see any Thai government official say that perhaps some of those 50 million other Thais living outside of Bangkok need help too as some of them don't have ANY government water supplies.

One exception is the current PM. Several absentees include both Abhisit and Yingluck who seem not to have noticed or commented on the drought.