.mdi File, How The %$#@ Do I Open It?

Crossy

OK, my employer has decided that sending out documents in the Microsoft Document Interchange (.MDI) format is a smart idea :o

It appears that only newer versions of MS Office will open these files, I have an older version of office (legit) and have no intention of shelling out for a new version.

I've failed miserably to find a stand alone reader for this format.

HELP!

I am a big fan of Nonags.com, a freeware site. There is a program for viewing mdi files on this page called cool cap.

Cheers for the link, Coolcap downloaded and installed :D

Question 2!

How do I open a .MDI file with it (not in the list of file types) :o

I'm probably being REALLY stupid here, d@mmed if I can see how.

Try clicking on the file in File Explorer and Open with. [guess... sorry]

MDI is a Microsoft version of TIFF image format but with proprietary coding. IMHO it's a very bad option to use, since it closes down options for both the originator and reader of the documents.

Regards

/edit typo//

Edited by A_Traveller

It is, I love that site. I love the fact that the stuff is guaranteed to be nagware free. I've gotten many a useful program from there.

After rereading the description of the program it sounds like you save the file as a jpeg and then read it.

OK, my employer has decided that sending out documents in the Microsoft Document Interchange (.MDI) format is a smart idea :o

It appears that only newer versions of MS Office will open these files, I have an older version of office (legit) and have no intention of shelling out for a new version.

I've failed miserably to find a stand alone reader for this format.

HELP!

Go to: http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?27500000036823, the program is Freeware and a MS-Office MDI Viewer.