Nida Poll: most people disagree with protests against government and NCPO

Lite Beer

Nida Poll: most people disagree with protests against government and NCPO

nidapoll-wpcf_728x4131-2-wpcf_728x413-wp

BANGKOK: -- Most of the people polled by the National Institute of Development Administration (Nida) disagree with protests against the government by members of the general public or by student activists and academics.

Nida Poll conducted an opinion poll on the subject of “political activism” on 1,257 respondents of various professions from throughout the country during July 9-10 in wake of protests by the Daodin group and their supporters in recent weeks.

The results of the poll are as follows:

77.65 percent of the respondents say that members of the public should not protest against the government or the NCPO but should monitor their performance because they don’t want to see the country in trouble or divided and that the government should be given a chance to do its job; 13.45 percent believe that people should come up to show support for the government and NCPO while 6.28 percent support protests because of the suppression of civil liberties.

68.34 percent disagree with protests by student activists and academics saying they should wait and see the government’s performance; 15.27 percent say they should come out to protest; 55.77 percent say opponents of the government or NCPO should resort to legal channel to air their opposing views and 20.68 percent say they should just stay idly by.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/nida-poll-most-people-disagree-with-protests-against-government-and-ncpo

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-12

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. I see you guys have stopped claiming people give the desired answers because they are scared of being arrested.

Now you move on to a different excuse to try and rubbish the poll.

Did you ever think the poll might be right and it's you who has the problem ?.

This majority does not suit the agenda of some so like all the other majorities that went against the agenda pre coup this majority is to be denounced and excuses made to disrespect them by engineering stories that belong in the fiction section of the local book store.

No wonder the majority doesn't back these certain irrelevant groups like they used too. They are sick of only being respected when they tow a certain party line.

LOL. I see you guys have stopped claiming people give the desired answers because they are scared of being arrested.

No. If that were the case then there would be elections.

New poll!!!!!

A new poll has just confirmed that 90% of those polled dont believe in Nida polls.

The other 10% could not extricate themselves from the PM's ass long enough to answer.

Edited by Linky

Ahhh I was wondering when the propaganda poll would show up. Seems it's a bit late

What was holding you back from starting your own poll?

Other than fear and the law of gravity.

Don't get me wrong I am highly distrustful of these small time polls but it seems to me the anti government people should take up there own poll's. Also when ever a poll is published publish the name or organization that paid for it.

I was wondering about this bit

6.28 percent support protests because of the suppression of civil liberties.

Does that mean they support the uncontrolled mass rallies where people were easy targets to kill. Also the traffic control problems that were incurred by them? We won't even go into the lack of any effort at controlling corruption.

Edited by northernjohn

They do realise they are asking a circular question don't they. By answering that you support protests, you are supporting protests....duh.....

What on earth are you talking about?

The people are heavily against the staging of protests as they disrupt the governments work and achieve nothing. They do NOT support protests!!

They do realise they are asking a circular question don't they. By answering that you support protests, you are supporting protests....duh.....

The people are heavily against the staging of protests as they disrupt the governments work and achieve nothing. They do NOT support protests!!

If you answer yes, you would be breaking the law. So hardly an independent poll.

...opponents of the government or NCPO should resort to legal channel to air their opposing views

How many Thai lawyers are wishing for a de facto disbarment?

To bad they did not mention the channels they have in mind and don't have the cohones to show the questions.

No. If that were the case then there would be elections.

New poll!!!!!

A new poll has just confirmed that 90% of those polled dont believe in Nida polls.

The other 10% could not extricate themselves from the PM's ass long enough to answer.

Can you give us your method of calculation, the number of your sample, dividing by province etc........ please rolleyes.gif

This majority does not suit the agenda of some so like all the other majorities that went against the agenda pre coup this majority is to be denounced and excuses made to disrespect them by engineering stories that belong in the fiction section of the local book store.

No wonder the majority doesn't back these certain irrelevant groups like they used too. They are sick of only being respected when they tow a certain party line.

Seem to recall that not long before the latest and 19th coup that the majority that I think you refer to prevented an election being held. If there is a majority, why can't be tested with a ballot box???

Ahhh I was wondering when the propaganda poll would show up. Seems it's a bit late

To expand on this a tad.

The President of NIDA is part of the NLA

A guy by the name of Sombat Thamrongtanyawong

All University Presidents are appointed from deep within the Bangkok-centric Elite.

This all one needs to know to put these Polls in context.

Not to see through this facade of trying to put a supportive public opinion veneer over anti-democrat stuff is unlikely. But for them to think it does, is a slam against one's intelligence........But perfectly consistent with the arrogance of these people...It is why they cannot stomach one-person-one-vote electoral Democracy, when so many of these voters are lesser beings.

Well to be honest with you there is a lot of truth in what you say. How ever it is obvious that you are unfamiliar with the average Thai. they for the most part are quite happy with the situation as it is. They would like to see some different things but none of them worth mentioning or shall we say pushing to the point where the government has to stop working to fix the problem and go back to just defending it.

You seem to be highly educated which can be a real barricade to thinking or on the other hand a big help to it.

Do you think that constantly having to defend every thing instead of just being allowed to move on towards fixing the whole problem is a good idea? When they have it all together then come out with it to the public with a vote on it. You know as well as I do (I hope you do) that to make an omelet you have to break some eggs.

Hopefully not mine but if so that is OK I am more interested in the Nations future than the little bit of harm they can do me. I have grand children here and I want them to have better than what Thailand has had in the past. The one thing the government or any thing else can not change is the weather pattern changing.

That is going to hurt a lot of people in the years to come. Hopefully there will be some relief from the harm it does to people. If not this government then the next one. It is not going to be easy and as the PM says it is more than likely going to take 20 years to bring unity to the country and that is going to be a big part of it.

The average Thai provided with the full unabridged version of government spending would probably seek further explanation regarding the current allocation with regard to effective internal spend vs external and the associated benefits

However as there is no recourse other than allowing the current administration to continue, one could expect a poll to be indicative of the circumstance

The average Thai provided with the full unabridged version of government spending would never read it. There, FIFY (fixed it for you), LoL

I won't go into the government spending that the Yingluck Thaksin government went to such great lengths to keep from the 'average Thai'. Even the G to G rice deals were a 'State secret'; they wouldn't/couldn't even say which countries were involved. Don't look now, but your bias is showing. 555

Your post makes it clear you don't know average people anywhere. 'Average' Americans wouldn't bother to read such a document either.

You're upset because Thai people don't agree with your 'bring Thaksin back' agenda (don't deny, I've followed you posts).

Not sure what planet you are on Lucky, but you have a great name, hope it brings you luck in your future.

If there was just the slightest chance that this Thai unelected government was not deeply unpopular, they would hold an election tomorrow.

Just wait till the Chinese takeover is complete and then you will see some real action when communism and Buddhism collide.

In the meantime it was nice that Prayut gifted 100 Uighurs to Xi Jinping, It will make the very unpopular Prayut very popular in the region around Tiananmem Square.

Of course it's right silly. It was done in the capital and businessmen are not stupid farmers. thumbsup.gif

Thank you for reminding us about this additional argument!

The context: students arrested for peacefully protesting, rumours spread by the government that they have been manipulated by political forces aiming at creating chaos and violence (possibly foreign interests), a father testifying that his son has been brainwashed by an ill-intentioned foreign organisation, etc....

Now let's imagine your are an "average" Thai: your phone rings, and someone asks you if you support protesters....

No more comment needed!

Additionally this survey contradicts the basic rules of questionaire design, which is particularly to avoid asking biased questions (the way the question is phrased may influence the answer) or unrealistic questions.

Example of biased question (quoted from OP):

- "members of the public should not protest against the government or the NCPO but should monitor their performance because they don’t want to see the country in trouble or divided and that the government should be given a chance to do its job" (note that it is exactly the argument used by the NCPO)

Example of unrealistic question (idem):

- "opponents of the government or NCPO should resort to legal channel to air their opposing views"

What are those legal channels? Television? The judicial, conferences on freedom of speech, write to your MP?

cheesy.gif

Edited by candide

Seem to recall that not long before the latest and 19th coup that the majority that I think you refer to prevented an election being held. If there is a majority, why can't be tested with a ballot box???

It can be tested and I look forward to it. I yearn elections and I will respect the results as I did since the Shins came to power. I will respect that majority as that is what the majority wanted. They wanted the Shins and well done to them..I cannot question the result. I cannot denounce what the majority wanted. It would be holding them in contempt if I did.

But the contempt the previous govt held for that majority ensures the result will not be respected if it goes against them. That is the difference between me and them. I respect all election results and make no excuses to denounce the majority. Some only respect the results when it suits their agenda as replied to this poll shows as well as the previous constitutional referendum as well as previous polls as well as.....and it goes on.

The key to democracy is respecting the majority no matter what they want even if you don't like it.

Have a lovely Sunday evening my friend.

You do not seem to understand democracy, Jamie, and thank you for your good wishes.

Democracy throws up bad and unpopular leaders all the the time, Democracy has only one main advantage over other methods of appointing leaders in that democracy puts a time limit on the leader's tenure.

Look at Greece, the home of democracy. They overwhelmingly vote for a man who seriously wants to destroy Greece, but the good thing is, he is not emperor for life, he has to hold elections at regular intervals. Eventually the people will get rid of him. His successor will be unpopular as almost all democratically leaders are, it happens. Some people are telling me that John Key is the world's best PM, but he is deeply unpopular inside New Zealand. That is par for the course. It is credit to the Kiwis that they do not occupy airports and CBDs, they hold elections.

In Thailand, Prayuth is Emperor for life. Elections were to be held this calendar year. Then next year. Now if anyone asks, he tells them to bugger off. And that my friend is the difference between a democracy and the other kind of govt. In the democracy the leader has to report to the people and put his name on the ballot paper regularly and when the people have had enough, they throw the rascal out by constitutional means and not illegal means. Interesting footnote about Thailand is that it may be the only country in the world where the military are not sworn to protect and obey the government as is the case with almost every other country.

It can be tested and I look forward to it. I yearn elections and I will respect the results as I did since the Shins came to power. I will respect that majority as that is what the majority wanted. They wanted the Shins and well done to them..I cannot question the result. I cannot denounce what the majority wanted. It would be holding them in contempt if I did.

But the contempt the previous govt held for that majority ensures the result will not be respected if it goes against them. That is the difference between me and them. I respect all election results and make no excuses to denounce the majority. Some only respect the results when it suits their agenda as replied to this poll shows as well as the previous constitutional referendum as well as previous polls as well as.....and it goes on.

The key to democracy is respecting the majority no matter what they want even if you don't like it.

You do not seem to understand democracy, Jamie, and thank you for your good wishes.

Democracy throws up bad and unpopular leaders all the the time, Democracy has only one main advantage over other methods of appointing leaders in that democracy puts a time limit on the leader's tenure.

Look at Greece, the home of democracy. They overwhelmingly vote for a man who seriously wants to destroy Greece, but the good thing is, he is not emperor for life, he has to hold elections at regular intervals. Eventually the people will get rid of him. His successor will be unpopular as almost all democratically leaders are, it happens. Some people are telling me that John Key is the world's best PM, but he is deeply unpopular inside New Zealand. That is par for the course. It is credit to the Kiwis that they do not occupy airports and CBDs, they hold elections.

In Thailand, Prayuth is Emperor for life. Elections were to be held this calendar year. Then next year. Now if anyone asks, he tells them to bugger off. And that my friend is the difference between a democracy and the other kind of govt. In the democracy the leader has to report to the people and put his name on the ballot paper regularly and when the people have had enough, they throw the rascal out by constitutional means and not illegal means. Interesting footnote about Thailand is that it may be the only country in the world where the military are not sworn to protect and obey the government as is the case with almost every other country.

'But Thaksin...' in 5..4..3..2..

Yet I stated I respect all election results no matter who won the election. What is there not to understand?

It is how the winner abuses democracy after the election that is the issue I am perplexed with.

I will leave that thought with you my friend as your rebuttal indicated this thread could go on for days with no outcome due to you not grasping what I am talking about.

Have a lovely Sunday and if you watching the Tennis...Go Federer!

Of course it's right silly. It was done in the capital and businessmen are not stupid farmers. thumbsup.gif

From the OP: Nida Poll conducted an opinion poll on the subject of “political activism” on 1,257 respondents of various professions from throughout the country

Either your reading comprehension skills are limited or you are a propagandist. I think it is the latter. Why do you refer to farmers as stupid without putting a /sarc tag on that rude comment. BTW, EnglishJohn makes thoughtful posts, unlike yourself, and he is in no way 'silly'.

Edited by rametindallas

Yet I stated I respect all election results no matter who won the election. What is there not to understand?

It is how the winner abuses democracy after the election that is the issue I am perplexed with.

I will leave that thought with you my friend as your rebuttal indicated this thread could go on for days with no outcome due to you not grasping what I am talking about.

Have a lovely Sunday and if you watching the Tennis...Go Federer!

So with the utmost respect, is there a reply?

I am intrigued as to what the reply will be when I said I respect election results?