Driving to Laos

Suggest you ask the C. Mai branch of the Department of Land Transport:

http://www.chiangmaidlt.go.th/

1. Provincial Land Transport Office of Chiang Mai (Nong Hoi Branch)
  2. Government
  3. Address: 405/2, Chiang Mai-Lam Phun Road, Tambon Wat Ket, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai, 50000, 50000, Thailand
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Two offices?
    Mueang Chiang Mai District
    Chiang Mai, Thailand
    +66 53 278 570

Mac

That's a good question - see if you can get it in Chiang Mai first (possibly yes, because some things, which apply on a national basis should be able to be performed at any LTD office) but of course be prepared to go to Bangkok if it doesn't work out. I'm about 80% confident you'll be OK to apply in Chiang Mai. An alternative would be to transfer your plates to Chiang Mai first and then get the car passport there, which would avoid you having to go to Bangkok. But I don't think that would be necessary though.

Not sure. I picked up mine on the way out at the DMV office Nakhon Phanom as they didn’t have a clue at Hua Hin where the car is registered. No problem whatsoever and took only about 15 minutes /cost 50 THB.. thumbsup.gif

Only thing is, you might still need to obtain a certificate of residence, irrespective of where you get the international transport booklet done. And that entails going either to your embassy or consulate (for most nationalities that's only possible in Bangkok, while a lucky few also have Chiang Mai, Phuket or other cities as an option) or to immigration where you are registered. In any case, get that document first before going into the LTD.

Only thing is, you might still need to obtain a certificate of residence, irrespective of where you get the international transport booklet done. And that entails going either to your embassy or consulate (for most nationalities that's only possible in Bangkok, while a lucky few also have Chiang Mai, Phuket or other cities as an option) or to immigration where you are registered. In any case, get that document first before going into the LTD.

Nope not necessary.

Nope not necessary.

Actually it is, even when I went to get my translation of my green book done for my motorcycle, I needed one. When I got the purple book for my car (initially only registered in my fiancee's name, but will soon have both of our names on the registration), she needed her tabien baan (house registration), ID card and copies of both. I was told in order to add my name I would also need to supply this document.

I can't see why you believe it isn't necessary - almost anytime you need to do something at the LTD you will need a certificate of residence, which confirms your address. Exceptions are those using a work permit or yellow tabien baan in lieu.

I think you just need the green book.

Surely a photocopy of the green book would suffice?

No, it isn't. A green book is for motorcycles, while a blue book is for cars. The international transport permit is no longer issued for motorcycles, but an English translation of the registration known as a "certificate of registration" can be issued instead for a fee of 25 Baht. In either case, always bring along the original registration. This applies both when applying for either of these documents and when you cross the border - they need the original copy of the registration. A photocopy is usually insufficient and I can't see any good reason why anyone would want to avoid bringing along the original.