Water expert Smith warns Thailand of the worst water shortage to come

webfact

Water expert warns of the worst water shortage to come

11724946_10153478976533637_894009626_o-w

BANGKOK: -- Thailand will face the most serious water shortage problem to the point that there may not be water for consumption if there are no rains this month and in August, said Mr Smith Thammasarote, former director-general of Meteorological Department and chairman of foundation of the National Disaster Warning Centre on Sunday.

He explained that rainfalls in Thailand are dependent on two factors: storms and rain trough without which “Thailand will be finished; there will be the worst crisis probably without water for consumption.”

He advised urban people to stock up water and rural folks to dig wells or ponds to store up water when rains come.

Mr Smith said that assurances from the Royal Irrigation Department there are enough water in the major dams to ensure tap water will not run dry are not credible “because they just look at the water levels in the dams from high above but do not venture down the water to find out that there are only pebbles, sand and earth which have been accumulated down there for decades.”

He urged the government and authorities concerned to tell the truths to the people so that farmers don’t have to wait for rains which have little chance to come.

He also urged the government to take steps now to ensure there is water for consumption and drinking when the situation gets worse. He cited the case of Vietnam which has bought five vessels to make fresh water from sea water.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/water-expert-warns-of-the-worst-water-shortage-to-come

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-13

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's either mai pen rai or the sky is falling with these guys. Never anything in between.

I have been picking up a couple of extra jugs of water with each trip to the store, though. I'd rather err on the side of too much than to suddenly find that I have too little.

If, as Smith suggests, the rains aren't going to come when the RID says "in August" and the reservoirs and water sources are running dry with a "disaster" about to come, urging urban people to stock up on water and rural people to dig wells and ponds (useless until there are some more rains), will just exacerbate the shortage and accelerate the drying up of remaining water stocks. If everyone starts using water at a faster rate than before, then the point at which the taps runs dry will be brought forwards, actually worsening the crisis (real or imagined). What this self-proclaimed "expert" does not do or advise is for people to use water more sparingly and conserve water, such as not washing their cars, sprinkling their lawns, going to the Ab-Ob-Nuad, washing clothes daily, showering thrice daily, leaving their tap dripping, not fixing that leak, etc, etc. which one can see all over Thailand being done, as if water was going out of fashion and had no scarcity value. Moreover, he would criticise the state sector far more roundly for allowing the situation to come to this after decades of mis-management, rather than his selective and self-congratulatory style of criticism.

This guy, sadly, is as much part of the problem as the next member of the Thai elite in creating the situation that Thailand now finds itself in with regards to water (mis)management. He should have retired long ago, but like other dinosaurs, lingers around like the smells that emanate from a fetid khlong. sick.gif

It's been pissing down on Phuket for six weeks and doesn't look like it's about to stop any time soon. What's he on about?

How does that help Bangkok and Chiang Mai?

Why? Isn't it pissing down there too?

We wish it were, our dams and reservoirs are very very low and there's no rainfall to speak of, one twenty minute burst a few days ago was the best we've seen just North of Chiang Mai (Mae Rim), in over eight months.

Farmers continue to pump groundwater to flood rice fields east of Chiang Mai, as if it's never gonna run out. Our borehole ran dry at the weekend. Had to lower the pump to find water again for the house. But just like the burning, no one listens to the govt who only urge folk to stop doing things.

I just spoke to the missus and told her to store some water, being Thai she thinks it will never happen , which annoyed me because this is to close for comfort , 30k away in Pathum Thani their taps are dry. If its prolonged her and the kids will have to come to stay in singapore with me

It's been pissing down on Phuket for six weeks and doesn't look like it's about to stop any time soon. What's he on about?

Well, pissing outside is frown upon and the five minutes rain this afternoon in Bangkok (at least in the Dusit area) didn't help much either.

I just spoke to the missus and told her to store some water, being Thai she thinks it will never happen , which annoyed me because this is to close for comfort , 30k away in Pathum Thani their taps are dry. If its prolonged her and the kids will have to come to stay in singapore with me

Life can be tough rolleyes.gif

I treid calling two delivery watre companies this aftrenoon, and both said that they have run out of stocks! what the hell! Another knows of a company that I can order bottled water in bulk to be sent to my home around srinakarin?

And not too long ago, Bangkok was a water world. They should have saved that water when it was there for the taking. Silly Bangkok Residents.

Yea, BKK residents should have filled every bottle they own, and bought more, in 2011 and stored it in their mansions until it was needed. Even smarter would have been to store it in the large storage dams built for that purpose. But "someone" decided that she didn't want to get blamed for the next flood and lowered the operating level curves for those dams by 7.5 billion cubic metres of water.

Still waiting for that next flood. And it's a shame that huge volume of water wasn't there when needed.

No rain for the last month 35 km's north of Kanchanaburi.

What's wrong with each house fitting a 650litre water tank? It will top up when it rains a bit and is good enough for bathing,washing the dishes, as I know the air quality is not so good.

post-111567-0-11192000-1436806659_thumb.

We wish it were, our dams and reservoirs are very very low and there's no rainfall to speak of, one twenty minute burst a few days ago was the best we've seen just North of Chiang Mai (Mae Rim), in over eight months.

so where did all the water go that flooded the country a few years ago

And not too long ago, Bangkok was a water world. They should have saved that water when it was there for the taking. Silly Bangkok Residents.

Actually Bangkok city was dry as a bone , i was eagerly waiting for the floods to come up through the drains but never did. only the suburbs and outer regions flooded .

The could look into desalination, and help reduce the consumption of ground water in the long run.

Cost money out of the question.

Sinking City costs more money

You and I know that but do they? Yes sinking city cost more money but the purse strings seem to be tied in a knot. Subs yes other things that make more sense no.

and your wife and kids being with you in Singapore is not a good thing because.. ??

Edited by easybullet3